Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Just curious as to what exactly the whole "Chart the Course" interaction style is that we apparently have.

"The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this stylefocus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done."

Do you relate to this? I find it interesting that for a type which is stereotyped as master improvisers, our interaction style is revolved around having a plan to follow.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I do actually relate to that. It shows up a lot in my work environment. It's not NEEDING a plan that they're talking about.
The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this stylefocus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track.
If I am going to be working I demand to know what the end goal is. I can improvise and wing it as long as I know where the heck I'm going. If I'm trying to accomplish something and I'm stuck with a group of people who are just goofing off or being stupid about how they go about stuff it irritates the heck out of me.
They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal.
This happens when there is no one around to actually make the plan for me. I'm more than willing to let someone else do the work but in the abscense of such a leader figure, I will require that people STOP being STUPID and GET THEIR JOBS DONE. Meaning if I have to I will do exactly as they say and identify a process and create a somewhat strained tension.
And the last part
Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.
is why people even bother listening to me when I start bossing them around without actually having the authority. Because I sound like I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Agree with the others. I have to know what the goal is, partly because open-ended commitments tend to wear me down, and also because there's a pretty good chance I can find efficient ways to get things done faster. The "meeting for meeting's sake" people drive me crazy, as do the goof-offs that @Virgo mentioned.

Likewise, while I'm perfectly content letting someone else take the leadership role, when nobody seems to want it, or the leader is one of the aforementioned goof-offs, I'll reluctantly take the role, mostly just so I'm not wasting time watching everyone else flail around unproductively. That's not a good thing, because I quickly turn into a Marine Drill Instructor, not because I'm being mean or enjoy criticizing, but because if I have to shoulder the responsibility, I want the job done quickly and well, so I can return to my usual state of casual apathy.

On the upside, a few people that have worked with me during those periods later remarked that they appreciated the way I pushed them to improve. The others are probably listening to Electric Light Orchestra while adding my name to a list with red lipstick. (Billy Madison film reference, for those too young or outside North America.)

I need the ability to improvise, improve, or even divert from the course when necessary, because that's how ISTPs work internally. We analyze the situation, adjust, reanalyze the situation, adjust, until we reach our goals, regardless of what they are, in work, hobbies, and socially (which drives people we know a little crazy).

In a lot of cases, I won't chart a course completely. If I know my goal, I'll plan a good portion of the journey, because I know that the inevitable setbacks and changes will rear their ugly heads soon enough. So I may only chart a vague 1/3 of the path to the goal (if that), and add a little more to the plan each day, based on the progress already made, and whatever potential roadblocks may be hinted at in the future.

Most ISTPs have a lot of hobbies and random knowledge, so it's pretty safe letting us work this way. Some people (types?) can't seem to function at all if they aren't given step-by-step instructions, as well as "approved" deviations in case a crisis emerges. I find it's a bit of a nightmare trying to work within that rigid of a system, and it's entirely untenable in the entertainment industry, where productions can change at the whim of a producer, or budgets get clipped halfway to completion.

On the upside, if you're adaptable and can figure out ways to squeeze water from a stone, you'll do very well, even if you're not the best [fill in the blank]. I think that's true for most industries, although it's rarely acknowledged.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All.

This really clears up my understanding of "chart the course." I can see a lot of myself in this interaction style now that others have clarified what exactly the style entails.

For instance, when I'm playing basketball, I'll often have a general idea of what I'm going to do before I actually do it. A little voice in my head will say "feint cut towards right, cut left" and then my Se kicks in and I perform it as one fluid action.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Absolutely. It's the best way to get things done. plans are always subject to change.

Chart the course seems to be about improvising still. You make a general plan to follow very roughly and then as things come up, you change, you adapt and you modify the rough plan.
Bingo, nail on head.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Absolutely. It's the best way to get things done. plans are always subject to change.

Chart the course seems to be about improvising still. You make a general plan to follow very roughly and then as things come up, you change, you adapt and you modify the rough plan.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

This was exactly my initial reaction and thought on this topic. Now, coming up with the plan, that may take me a while, unless it is something I deem important. But I absolutely like having a rough guide to follow off of, but know that I will likely deviate from it, sometimes considerably to get what needs doing, accomplished.

But set me up in a very strict, must follow this or that plan, and unless I like you, or think the cause is worthy, I will likely rebel against the rules, as I hate being constrained.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'll add that a measure of instinct is necessary; you envision a general scheme that leads to your goal, and act accordingly with your natural senses. It's really simple and sometimes baffling why people would live any other way.
Yes, exactly. I can't remember a single time that a situation allowed for a single solid plan. things always change and you must allow for that.

I have seen people who refuse to accept that before and struggle with deviating from the methods they set out to use. It is very counter productive but they don't see it that way somehow.

An important factor everyone has mentioned is having a goal. there still needs to be a well defined goal to achieve. The path to get there is what chart the course is about.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
My token phrase for example when walking with friends or even my kids....

Them: Oh look

Me: Snaps fingers ok so back to what we were doing (they are usually distracted by something shiny)

Says to my kids...

"Ok ADHD, so back to the task at hand"
"Chop chop lets keep this show on the road, and get crack a lacking."

(I hope I do not invite some ADHD person to chew me out now about PC)

My eldest daughter hates that expression "Mom geez can't we stop and look at anything".... ALSO...

"You walk faster then any human being I know" (my child)

"Yup I walk to move, not on a sunday stroll here"

(Now if I could just move all these road blocks (people). OMG I am the worst in a place like the mall where people just walk at a snails pace, and look around in ah, and just stop mid walk with someone behind them to talk or look. (Hello you fool move out of the 'lane').

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't think I can add anything useful after the first few posts other than to say that I agree completely.

Reactions: JB Nobody
1 - 12 of 12 Posts