Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These pictures may take some time to load, depending, but it's well worth it.

Quoting site:
These animated images are taken from original stereoscopic photographs by T. Enami, and were animated from images posted by Okinawa Soba. The images date from about 1895 to about 1910.
Old Japan in 3D | How to be a Retronaut

I found this a while ago, but I just showed it to one person and forgot about it.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
That is so awesome! Eerie is a good way to describe it, but it felt eerie in a good way. Like you were being submersed into it or something...hard to really explain but thank you for sharing =)

Reactions: Macrosapien

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is so awesome! Eerie is a good way to describe it, but it felt eerie in a good way. Like you were being submersed into it or something...hard to really explain but thank you for sharing =)
Yeah, it's immense. You sort of feel there. Sometimes it feels like they are alive in there. makes things more "real". Yeah eerie in the best way. like a different world and it looks "more" real when made 3D.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yeah, it's immense. You sort of feel there. Sometimes it feels like they are alive in there. makes things more "real". Yeah eerie in the best way. like a different world and it looks "more" real when made 3D.
YEA! I'm showing all my friends lol =) It's a parallel old japan in 3D universe!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Beautiful pictures. I guess the shaking is necessary for the very cool 3D experience, but it does make looking at them a bit stressful. Wish I could use a stereoscopic viewer :)

For just the stereograms without the shaking - Okinawa Soba flickr

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful pictures. I guess the shaking is necessary for the very cool 3D experience, but it does make looking at them a bit stressful. Wish I could use a stereoscopic viewer :)

For just the stereograms without the shaking - Okinawa Soba flickr
Oooo I really like all of these. The shaking can be a bit of eye swore, but I like it, it's bit scary XD.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are amazing!

Seems like another planet to me, so many fascinating images!
I had a strange thought as a kid, that since there was pictures and videos of the past, that this was proof that these times still existed in their own way, always happening, continually. And upon looking at it, I would wonder do they know I'm watching.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I had a strange thought as a kid, that since there was pictures and videos of the past, that this was proof that these times still existed in their own way, always happening, continually. And upon looking at it, I would wonder do they know I'm watching.
thats an interesting way of viewing the image, I must say im a little more cynical and actually question if the images are as original as they seem. I've travelled pretty extensively through south east asia and noticed an amusing trend. They build up areas where western travellers go, but these areas are all simply facades and quite often if you go 10 minutes down a side road, you will see wide open fields and small huts for houses, behind these big cement buildings.

So makes me wonder with these images! If you walk through the pottery store image and out the door, will you find a tuby bloke in a Nike tee watching meet the fockers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts