Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My more observant friends showed me that there are three kinds of walk byes.

1) the ignore you (probably got a lot on their mind or maybe you smell funny?)
2) eye contact and smile at you from a distance
3) at the last second steal a glance as they pass by you

Being an INTJ and socially retarded - what does the last one mean?

-Jack

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Well at the last glance usually they smile at you first then look back at your ass but most if the time I give warm smiles from afar but don't forget the comment one like damn she's fine or stuff like that especially when your with friends

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
Um not totally sure, but it sounds like a "checking you out" look.

Personally I am often with company and totally engrossed in conversation or just their company, or if I am on my own, I am often on a mission to find something, in which case I can even miss a friend waving at me, let alone anyone stopping to look at someone else. The only time I observe people really is when I am seated alone at a cafe. I like to face the street so I can watch people.

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not the only one that noticed this last second look but you would think a nice big smile and some eye contact would be a better way of checking someone out.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I'm in my own little world most of the time and really don't "check people out", but I do #3 a lot. It's because you entered my narrow field of vision and I thought you looked familiar.
But, that's just me.

·
Banned
160 Posts
My more observant friends showed me that there are three kinds of walk byes.

1) the ignore you (probably got a lot on their mind or maybe you smell funny?)
2) eye contact and smile at you from a distance

Being an INTJ and socially retarded - what does the last one mean?

-Jack

I do the third one all the time. For me, it means that I noticed you from the corner of my eye [or I noticed you checking me out] but didn't want you to know I was checking you out. I'll let the guy stare at me and try to get my attention for a short while until I am about to leave, then I'll reward him with the eye because I know that's what he wanted.... oops, did I give too much away?

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I tend to hold eye contact with most of the people I pass. It's not because I am checking them out... just out of curiosity perhaps? People feel very alien to me so I like to observe them and their reactions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I do all 3 because I don't know which is the "right one" to do...sometimes I do all 3 to the same person lol (they probably think I'm kinda weird)
#1)ignoring-I do this when I can't decide wether to look at the person or not, I feel most comfortable doing this, but I worry that I might seem very rude or something
#2)eye contact and smile from a distance-sometimes I'll decide to be friendly and do this one...then I usually regret it because after I smile and make eye contact what am I supposed to do? I usually revert back to ignoring, then do the quick glance to see if they are looking at me still
#3)quick glance as they walk by-I do this one the most, just so I don't seem like a total bitch...it seems kinda weird though

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have noticed that when I'm walking with a woman that other women will try to figure out my relationship to her.

1) am I in a relationsip with the woman I'm walking with or
2) are we just friends

The passerby will look at our hands (rings, holding hands, etc) and the distance we are walking (hey Im a scientist i notice these things)

BUT men will only stare at my friends body. :laughing:

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I don't try to figure out people's relationship to one another unless I have an instinct it's grossly inappropriate. Otherwise, something like that doesn't cross my mind at all. I also don't feel attracted to anyone I see with a potential partner. It really doesn't matter to me what the relationship is when a guy is with a girl. The both go in "couple" bin in my mind. I don't care about looking for details like rings and things. My eyes tend to be drawn to other things instead, like the group of males in the corner. Lol.

But for me, the 3rd instance in your OP would mean I might have recognized you or thought you were someone else. I don't want you to think I like you or am interested so I just look really quick and last moment.

The second one might mean I'm after you. You should probably approach me because I'm never going to approach you. Or it could just mean I didn't even notice I was staring. My mind was wondering and full of other thoughts and then when I realized I was staring because you caught me, I smile to be polite.

The reality is I very rarely check out people I think are hot. But I'm polite all over the place. Even the hot runners with 6 packs on my trails, I'll purposely look away because I'll get nervous and I think it's better for them to look at me. I'm crazy. No one can figure me out. :crazy: I feel sorry for men who are looking for "signals" from me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I tend to look into the eyes of the women I pass by and think are attractive, they may not even notice but I do it. I often think I should stop doing so cuz it might creep them out, although I don't turn my head and state directly at them lol, just some sleek eye perusing. I don't always stop when they notice either.

This reminds me... buy sunglasses.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
I was just thinking how there hasn't been any worthwhile objects to stare at lately... except for the funny sight I saw today in the mall... a guy with a very feminine side wearing makeup and walking in his skinny jeans like he was on the cat walk. He was as camp as a row of tents.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would repeatedly give shy and short glances and then look away to show interest in someone...one short glance doesn't mean a thing, sometimes I'm so caught up in my own thoughts, that I don't even notice what I'm staring at...

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I don't tend to look at other people, and even if I was less introverted I probably would be the same. In fact, I would be happy if I had the whole street or room to myself, no others to distract me from my daydreaming.
Pretty much the same for me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
By the time you notice the steal a glance as you pass it's like saying the goods have been appraised and they're fine. If women do it to me (no, listen, they do...sometimes, no, stop laughing and listen!) I take it as a compliment. Since they've already been watching the silent conversation through occasional glances or looks has already gone like this:

Her: uh huh

Me: Hmm?

Her: Hm hmm

Me: yep

Her: ok

(then the final steal a glance as you pass for he last time, which says)

Her: youbetIwouldrightheredoitbaby!
Me: comeonrightnowokletsgo!

and we pass and go about our business. It's hard being sexy, so many, so little time. Gotta share it around. Even if only in principle.

I don't judge people on their relationship to each other. Until it unavoidable becomes my business, it's none of my business.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I could never check a girl out who was aware of me checking her out. I know, that sounds creepy, but I get teribad embarrassed when I am caught. I will automatically look away, and probably get a little red faced, as well. I don't even understand how two strangers can stare each other in the eyes while checking each other out. I guess that has something to do with growing up and being mature.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.