Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel like a little kid in a grown-ups body? Its like I don't really belong with the people my age. They are all caught up in 'mature' things while Im curiously studying a blade of grass, or playing in the mud. I enjoy very childish movies and games, they make me really happy. Everyone says I'm so childish, and I guess its ment to be taken as an insult but its truth. I try to act my age but it just feels fake. Did I bump my head too hard once or what?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Does anyone else feel like a little kid in a grown-ups body? Its like I don't really belong with the people my age. They are all caught up in 'mature' things while Im curiously studying a blade of grass, or playing in the mud. I enjoy very childish movies and games, they make me really happy. Everyone says I'm so childish, and I guess its ment to be taken as an insult but its truth. I try to act my age but it just feels fake. Did I bump my head too hard once or what?
Yes! Always. I wish I could be of more help but I once bumped my head really hard so maybe it's just a symptom we share.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When everyone started growing out of Pokèmon I stayed playing each new game that came out. Still do today. Not that I didn't start to get into more "mature" things as well. I'll never be too old for swings, roller coasters, video games, balloon animals, etc. As long as I don't hurt anyone else somehow I feel as though I'm safe to do as I please. :tongue:

·
Registered
616 Posts
-----I am not religious, but I was raised that way. Your post reminded me of this:
  • And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3. New International Version (©1984).
-----Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to singing with the butterflies, giving new names to the colors of the sunset, and dreaming of someday.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Hooray for this thread! :) No you didn't bump your head and end up like this because of it. Lots of older people say this and they are the ones that still look 10 years their junior. That seems to be their secret, thinking young, not always stressing about what they are "supposed" to be doing. Fi users would be happier embracing the freedom we have from these meaningless norms, and we'll end up much better off if we remember that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if anyone else had these same thoughts as I did. As a child I could clearly see the difference of maturity between most adults and children. And I believed that when I got older that I would change and be just like those adults. Like I would feel like a completely different person somehow.

And of course I changed. My ideas shift and they always are at some point or another. But I don't "feel" different than I did as a child. I was introduced to new things and I have new feelings and ideas, but I'm still that same person on the inside. Just experienced certain things and picked up a few tricks so to speak.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I wonder if anyone else had these same thoughts as I did. As a child I could clearly see the difference of maturity between most adults and children.
Haha, add alcohol and those differences dwindle XD I remember noticing that much.

And I believed that when I got older that I would change and be just like those adults. Like I would feel like a completely different person somehow.
I always did too. After a while, it'd be some 'landmark' year and I'd be wondering why I didn't feel any older or even different. Every 5 years, I'd be like, nope nothing. My most recent birthday brought nothing either and I'm getting up there! lol

And of course I changed. My ideas shift and they always are at some point or another. But I don't "feel" different than I did as a child. I was introduced to new things and I have new feelings and ideas, but I'm still that same person on the inside. Just experienced certain things and picked up a few tricks so to speak.
Maybe consider it a good thing. I imagine a lot of people wish they could just let go, but they have too many expectations they gave themselves or that were imposed on them so now they can't ever again. I think that's one reason people end up with midlife crises, like what have I done that I want to do, next thing you know you have silverhaired or balding men in brand new Corvettes trying to recapture their youth and mothers (possibly married or freshly divorced/separated) going with their daughters barhopping picking up eligible-for-the-night men weekend after weekend. I don't want to end up like that so I live for now doing what I want, when I want (within reason of course).

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I've often head age is a state of mind. I believe it. What else could explain all this and why some people remain eternally young?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't know if you could tell by my avatar, but I am still a fan of Kingdom Hearts ;) And Disney movies. And cartoons (they're so much better than soap operas and the news :dry:). I feel more like a 12 or 13-year-old that's just learned more and more stuff. And most people my age here are starting to drink, thinking about "it", trying to get all buffed up and stuff. I never related to that. And when I was little I thought that when I grew up I would be more responsible, active, mature, wise, but I would always keep that childish side and interests. Alas, the truth is I just feel like I'm 12.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I don't know if you could tell by my avatar, but I am still a fan of Kingdom Hearts ;) And Disney movies. And cartoons (they're so much better than soap operas and the news :dry:). I feel more like a 12 or 13-year-old that's just learned more and more stuff. And most people my age here are starting to drink, thinking about "it", trying to get all buffed up and stuff. I never related to that. And when I was little I thought that when I grew up I would be more responsible, active, mature, wise, but I would always keep that childish side and interests. Alas, the truth is I just feel like I'm 12.
That's awesome :) I was like that too at that age, a total square peg as it was plus I swore I'd be different when I saw things I didn't like that most people did.

PS I like your sig quote. Honestly I never liked much of what she said before, but I like that one a lot! It kind of proves a point I made to myself to always keep an open mind from now on about what other people think or say because everyone has something of use to say and I might just miss it and that would be much worse.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I can definitely relate to this. I'm 27 and with the exception of a few things changing around me in my life, and the fact that I've gained knowledge that I didn't have when I was younger, I'm very much the same person I was a decade ago (or more). Part of this is fine, as I'm a firm believer in staying in touch with your inner kid; probably my favourite moments in my adult life so far have been when doing things that I could easily have done when I was eight. It's also problematic for me in many ways, though... and the problematic aspects very much tie in with some of my mental health issues, especially my depression, eating disorder and BPD. I function like a mentally-unstable teenager a lot of the time and I'm finding it very hard to move forward in life... guess that's why I've started therapy yet again. I know I have a great amount of anxiety surrounding "growing up", despite the fact that I don't even know what that really means a lot of the time, and I often feel very fearful of the world in general. I feel like I've spent my entire life trying to shield myself from getting hurt, because the few experiences I've had with that have deeply wounded me. Possibly it's because I'm such a sensitive and emotional person... though of course, not everyone who is sensitive and emotional develops mental health issues. I've spent a decent amount of time discussing the concept of being a "highly sensitive person" with my therapist though, and it seems like that can predispose one to various problems.

Aaaanyway... back to the child in an adult's body thing. I remember the first time I realised, probably sometime in my mid to late teens, that I'd never once imagined myself growing up. I know most young kids don't think about the fact that someday they'll get a job, own/rent a place to live, have romantic/sexual relationships, start a family, pay bills, etc... but there's more to it than that for me. Not only do most of those things seem entirely foreign to me (how I ended up living in my own apartment and then getting married, I really have no idea; they both seem like random flukes), I'm scared as hell of most of them -- and thus far, I've exempted myself from having to take part in the majority of them. I just never saw myself becoming an adult when I was younger.... I truly didn't. I thought it was something that "happened" to other people, much like "other people" get in horrific car accidents, get diagnosed with terminal illnesses, etc. Despite being 27, I truly don't really consider myself an adult in any other ways besides the fact that my chronological age tells me I am and that intellectually, I'm probably on par with many other adults.

It's funny really... being an only child growing up, I spent the vast majority of my time with my parents and people their age, doing and talking about the same things they were, and often didn't relate to other children very well. I was the youngest of all my cousins (the one closest to me in age was seven years older) and there were no other kids near where I lived. I was very much a "little adult" a lot of the time; my parents didn't do the best job at navigating the child/adult divide, and I always saw myself as more or less equal to them. I didn't take kindly to being treated as a kid and found it rather insulting.

Hrmm, maybe that doesn't seem so weird after all, given my upbringing... intellectually I've always been rather adult-like and emotionally I've always been very childlike. Makes for very confusing mental terrain, though. I get both "old soul" and "immature" from other people (the latter not really a compliment, haha), and I always feel so very at odds with myself.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I do not think that anything is wrong with you being childish at least you have some pure fun that those stern adult types do not, and when they do have fun, their fun is banal. I was an adult in a child body, and now I am being sometimes childlike in an adult body. I refuse to act my age all the time. Time did teach me some things, but still there are childlike and naive qualities in me, without them this life would look even bleaker. I guess I have that child like wonder when I look in all intriguing and still not well-known things that the universe and this planet has to offer. I make all the kind of animal noises just for fun. I sing quasi opera when I like it, oh my poor neighbors. I am still very curious and jump from topic to topic, but I like them unusual. I make jokes on my account all the time. I cannot help touching and playing with stuffed animals at Walmart. I greet animals on streets of my neighborhood, but not even look at their owners. I cannot help to sweet talk to any cute wild thing I meet. At the See World, I was sweet talking to a dolphin, and it came out from a small pool of water. Then, it practically spread itself in its all length in front of me to pet him although I did not have any fish, and there were plenty of people around that fed it fish, but it chose me so I got to touch it. I was probably making sounds like the dolphin as well. Could not help myself. They probably thought that I was crazy too, but people consider me weird without doing all of these things so who cares.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That's awesome :) I was like that too at that age, a total square peg as it was plus I swore I'd be different when I saw things I didn't like that most people did.

PS I like your sig quote. Honestly I never liked much of what she said before, but I like that one a lot! It kind of proves a point I made to myself to always keep an open mind from now on about what other people think or say because everyone has something of use to say and I might just miss it and that would be much worse.
Cool! I'm not alone! =) And I actually found her quote first before I found out anything about her; then I looked her philosophy up on Wikipedia and it made me raise an eyebrow too. But if she actually wrote that quote the way she wrote it, then I suppose there's a gem in her writing too. :proud: I imagine she was just trying to fight for individual freedom and against ideologies that valued collectivism too much as opposed to the self (like the kind that tries to impose group ideals on the individual).

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I look young for my age as well, so people naturally make assumptions about me which aren't true. I suppose my looks (got it from my beautiful mother) combined with my personality make for quite a youthful/androgynous demeanor. Because of this, I'm often made to feel like a child even though I'm in an adult body.

Like when I tell people about all my interests and random thoughts, most people are surprised because they would never assume that I was interested in those types of things. Of course, I make an effort to hide my true self about 90% of the time, but when I do share intimate details, people are intrigued by my odd personality. I once told an older man about the meaning of life and even he was impressed and asked me how the hell someone my age could possibly understand something so profound. As an INFP, I've spent my entire life observing human nature and if there's one thing I know, it's that people are the same underneath whether they're 10 years old or 80 years old. Sure, they might have different life experiences, but the essential being has the same core desires and needs.

All that to say, people have a hard defining me because I don't fit their profile of a normal guy, even if I think I'm just average.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Grow up? What's that? I'm 8 years old.

Or rather, I have the mentality of an 8 year old.

I know, at around 8 years old, my world expanded beyond the simple childhood world to include the world of adults. I could understand and converse at an adult level. I know throughout my teen years, I found I related more to adults than I did to others my age. It wasn't that I was unable to relate to people my age, but my mind was centered around the adult world. I would be wondering what would be different "when I grow up" (at least in the traditional sense), but at the same time I would also be thinking I that I was already a grown up. Looking back at it now, I think I actually grew up at 8, when my view of the world grew.

I still have my childlike sense of wonder, simplicity, amazement, and playfulness. I have the depth, complexity, wisdom, and understanding of an adult. I'm at all points along the age spectrum at the same time, viewing the world through all those lenses, and how I act all depends on where on that spectrum I'm decide to stick my head through.

Right now I feel like an 8 year old that's experienced a lifetime in only 24 short years. And if I were to die tonight, it would be ok, because I feel as though I have already lived, loved, and laughed a lifetime.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts