Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither my mother nor my father have ever supported me financially or otherwise. My grandmother raised me and is my legal guardian, however, she never legally adopted me. I am now 18 and wondering if it's possible to sue either of my parents (most importantly, my mother) for any of the following reasons:

• She came into a lump sum of money and spent all of it on her addiction. This was before I had turned 18.
  • After she gave birth to me, we moved into my grandmother's house. After a few months of living there, she moved out and left me there. Three years later, she gave birth to my sister and repeated the same act.
  • She overdosed on drugs when she was pregnant with me.
  • I've probably spoken to her under 20 times in my life. The few times I have seen her she was either looking money, being violent verbally and physically, and/or completely strung out.
  • Both of my parents have never given my grandmother any money to support me with.
  • I am now 18 and looking to go to college/start my life without a penny to my name.

I am looking for as much legal advice on the subject as I can get. Any questions or information you may need in order understand the situation better please feel free to respond or PM me.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
You might be able to sue them, but really, unless they now have deep pockets, there isn't much point.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
I'd like to answer this but I can't due to UPL statutes. :|

Edit: You know, I'm sure there's an attorney in your jurisdiction that offers a free initial consultation. They probably work on contingency fees too.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Neither my mother nor my father have ever supported me financially or otherwise. My grandmother raised me and is my legal guardian, however, she never legally adopted me. I am now 18 and wondering if it's possible to sue either of my parents (most importantly, my mother) for any of the following reasons:

• She came into a lump sum of money and spent all of it on her addiction. This was before I had turned 18.
  • After she gave birth to me, we moved into my grandmother's house. After a few months of living there, she moved out and left me there. Three years later, she gave birth to my sister and repeated the same act.
  • I've probably spoken to her under 20 times in my life. The few times I have seen her she was either looking money, being violent verbally and physically, and/or completely strung out.
  • Both of my parents have never given my grandmother any money to support me with.
  • I am now 18 and looking to go to college/start my life without a penny to my name.

I am looking for as much legal advice on the subject as I can get. Any questions or information you may need in order understand the situation better please feel free to respond or PM me.
Your mother is sick. I think it's not polite to sue her. I wouldn't.
I understand you're hurt, but that amount of hate won't make you a better or wiser person. Your mother doesn't seem innerly a hateful person, I think she had a drug addiction, and drug addictions can break a people's life. You can sue her for not giving you any money or anything, but maybe...you should speak to her.
I have too many problems with my family, but I don't know, to me the key is that it lets you live free. The only thing I fear about this suing is that you'll become a bigotred bastard, one of those moralists who hate people who sin and do the wrong way.
And that ain't right.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Go for it!!! great idea!

·
Registered
139 Posts
This sounds more like an emotional issue than a financial one. Getting revenge won't make you feel any better, if anything it's more likely to just leave you feeling empty. This is a horrible situation you're in and I reckon you'd be best off processing it with a counsellor rather than a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone who just said I don't have the right to sue my mother, that it's more of an emotional problem than a financial problem, or that it's not "polite" or that I won't find any satisfaction doing it- is wrong.

For other replies- thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The sad part is there are people out there that are worse.

I have had a parent steal from and abused me. Nothing a like a death threat from a a parent.

I also know a girl whose mother wiped out her bank account stole her identity and ruined her credit> Then she went on Montel and bragged about it!( She bragged to me that she did it as well)

The best thing to do is just move on show them you never needed them and you succeeded without them. That is best vengeance you can have.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Civil lawsuits are about money, not justice. If you think you will get satisfaction out of getting a judgment you can't collect, you might want to think long and hard about what the process will cost you both in money and emotional exhaustion.

As to the merits, you'll have to consult an attorney. Keep in mind that the judge got on that bench by being very careerist and probably not being there that much for his / her children.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
You'll have to look up your local laws about it. Probably best place to find out about this one is calling the division of law enforcement that is responsible for enforcing child support in your locale or something along those lines. There are also various child protection agencies that you can possibly goggle up, I don't know of any of the top of my head, but organizations and charities like this should exist, and ask them for information about this.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
On what grounds would you be suing? Parents are not obligated by law to give their children anything other than food or shelter, education, etc. When your grandmother took you in, she essentially absorbed the negligence of your parents. In this sense, she may be able to sue for 18 years of taking care of you. It just seems to me that when your saint of a grandmother took you in, she absolved your mother of responsibility. Also, if your parents inherited that money, that's their money. They are not obliged to share it with you. If you explicitly inherited it and they wasted it, you may have something. What exactly are the grounds of the lawsuit you had in mind? Do you have any precedent to base this on? Has anyone every successfully sued a parent for drug use while in the womb?

It may be more meaningful as a symbol to be legally adopted by your grandmother.

Reactions: murderegina

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My mother was supposed to inherit money from someone in my family but the court didn't see her eligible to obtain it because of the situation between my grandmother and my sister( the fact that she had been forced to pay child support but never did) and also her mental state. The large sum of money accumulated in a bank account under my name which my mother emptied out my entire college fund. But because I was under 18 at the time, my grandmother couldn't do anything about it because my mother had opened the account....that is a large portion of why I want to sue her.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
My mother was supposed to inherit money from someone in my family but the court didn't see her eligible to obtain it because of the situation between my grandmother and my sister( the fact that she had been forced to pay child support but never did) and also her mental state. The large sum of money accumulated in a bank account under my name which my mother emptied out my entire college fund. But because I was under 18 at the time, my grandmother couldn't do anything about it because my mother had opened the account....that is a large portion of why I want to sue her.
That sounds like you may have something to work with. I'd track down someone local who would be willing to work for a cut of whatever you can claim. Getting her to pay though may be another story altogether.

Reactions: murderegina

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds like you may have something to work with. I'd track down someone local who would be willing to work for a cut of whatever you can claim. Getting her to pay though may be another story altogether.
Agreed. What if someone doesn't have money when you sue them? How do they pay?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts