Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.

Were you guys very different behaviour-wise as children? If so how? And what do you think caused a change in you?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I was a completely different person. Free spirited, lively, animated, and full of emotion and expression. I could get along and interact with anyone. However, I did show signs of disrespect for authority. Everything changed in middle school when I started playing computer games. It activated something in my personality and now here I am.

I think a good way find out when things changed is by looking through old photos. I recently went through some old photo albums and noticed a trend. As I got older, my facial expression became less animated until it was almost non existed at all. It was pretty scary to see the transition from the joyful ear to ear smile of a 8 year old to the piercing death stare of today.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I used to love performing in front of an audience. I used to write piano medleys, gather everyone around me, and make them listen.
When I was about 5, I got on stage at a concert and sang in front of a huge crowd.
Performing still doesn't bother me, but it's not something I seek out much anymore. I guess that's because now that I'm a better musician, I know how much better I could be than how I am and that I don't have a whole to show off. I compare myself to other people more.

Also, I didn't give a crap about what other people thought and flaunted individuality much more. I was the one you couldn't get to shut up about conspiracy theories and out of body experiences and pagan religion and other stuff I learned about in the non-fiction section of the library (my favorite place!). Nowadays, I'm much more quiet about my interests and more self-conscious. I'm also more afraid of conflict when I used to be so argumentative. Now I'm bashful. But hey, I'm a teenager. Maybe it'll pass.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just curious.

Were you guys very different behaviour-wise as children? If so how? And what do you think caused a change in you?
Umm... I was still pretty introverted as a kid, I'd always have an Exxx friend around though. In high school I was bullied so I became even more introverted and now... I'm just 'this'.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was pretty shy. In preschool, I had this thing where I refused to use the bathroom at school. So I held it in all day, and when my grandmother came around to pick me up, she had this embarrassing portable potty for me. -_- Never speak of it.

I didn't really talk at all unless I was with my parents or brother or an adult I was close to. Friends were minimal. I had maybe 1 or 2 acquaintances at any given time.

I liked to build things, so my favorite toys were Legos, K'Nex, and this cool thing where you could build up a slide to roll marbles down. It was the best toy ever. Wish I still had it. Here's a picture of it. Anyone else ever have one of these?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was very... Chaotic as a child. I'd go about screaming in the school corridors for no apparent reason but a teacher telling me that I wasn't doing very well. Every time someone tried to guide me in any way, I'd go on and make a scene out of it.
As I grew older, the amount of episodes I had declined until it came to an stop completely.
I had 2 friends back in school, was bullied, went through school with below average grades.
Interesting times indeed.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I was extremely high energy and willful as a child but generally well-behaved. My bff for a few years was a black/Korean girl and we used to hold hands all the time so the other kids called us lesbians. Only ever had one female friend at a time and was not at all girly. I used to get really upset about racism and such, probably in part because I was friends with the handful of minority students at my school. My favorite show was the BBC World News on PBS, which I watched every night. I liked geography and read practically all the time.

Was an all-around weirdo. Shocker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was younger I wasn't all that shy at all, I disrespected authority, I was very lively and my dad sometimes had to get mad at me for me to stay still, I didn't eat very well (I was weird with food) so I was extremely thin (This is relevant for later), I was very smart and scored straight As in every test without paying attention in class or studying.

Now, Elementary school was basicly 3 Years of Pre-school then you got into 1st Grade when you were 6 and finished Elementary school when you were 9 and finished 4th grade. In 5th grade I was sent to Catholic School, things did not go so well. I liked fantasy settings (Lord of the Rings for instance) so I liked playing stuff that involved fantasy. However, here in portugal and in that school in particular Cliques already existed when you were 10 and were therefore in 5th grade. I didn't fit in at all (Although I found kids with similar interests) and was bullied frequently. To make it worse, the school had a good cafeteria that served the food I liked a lot very often, so I put on weight considerably which led to me getting picked on even more. The school also had a computer room which was where I ended up spending my days in. At the end of the day, my friends were guys in 12th grade who came to the computer room ever so often and were beat by me in Unreal Tournament because that was what I did all day long since I just couldn't get along with people.

Fast Forward to Now, my personality has pretty much been the same since 7th grade. Introverted, Agoraphobia, Paranoia, Social Anxiety and Shut-Out. I still manage to have friends and I got thin in 7th grade (I got into Aikidu when I was in 5th grade because I needed to learn self defence, obviously when I learned enough it was too late but at least I got thinner. Currently 3 belts away from black, stoped going some years ago because I was put in an awkward situation + I lost interest. Goddamn INTP) but I'm no longer as lively (at least around real people) and most of my time is still spent in video games since I'm too scared to give people a chance and just go out. As badgers said, Kids are cruel. Fuck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was pretty shy. In preschool, I had this thing where I refused to use the bathroom at school. So I held it in all day, and when my grandmother came around to pick me up, she had this embarrassing portable potty for me. -_- Never speak of it.

I didn't really talk at all unless I was with my parents or brother or an adult I was close to. Friends were minimal. I had maybe 1 or 2 acquaintances at any given time.

I liked to build things, so my favorite toys were Legos, K'Nex, and this cool thing where you could build up a slide to roll marbles down. It was the best toy ever. Wish I still had it. Here's a picture of it. Anyone else ever have one of these?

YES! My grandparents had (actually probably still have) one of these sets, and it was awesome. Good memories...

Yeah I was mostly a pretty introverted child, although... I'd talk a lot. I guess I just thought I was smarter than everyone else (which is possible but... still...) and I was actually pretty arrogant and elitist up until middle school, but the result was that I just kept on talking, and talked over everybody (including teachers which they understandably were unhappy about). I was very un-athletic, and very cerebral. Basically I was the same person, except without the understanding that all of these things tend to piss people off.

Although, apparently I was quite the ladies man when I was a young kid. Quite different from now...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems most of us were more 'positive' as children.

I also had extremely few acquaintances... I don't remember any specific 'friends' till 3rd grade. Though that didn't stop me from harassing my relatives with my barrage of 'what? why? how? where?'.

hahahah, portable potty. Though I too avoided toilets like the plague atleast till 5th grade. Of course no portable potties for me :p

I might have enjoyed such toys. I don't remember any specific enjoyable 'toys' from my childhood except video games. I've been playing since I was 5.

I was a completely different person. Free spirited, lively, animated, and full of emotion and expression. I could get along and interact with anyone. However, I did show signs of disrespect for authority. Everything changed in middle school when I started playing computer games. It activated something in my personality and now here I am.

I think a good way find out when things changed is by looking through old photos. I recently went through some old photo albums and noticed a trend. As I got older, my facial expression became less animated until it was almost non existed at all. It was pretty scary to see the transition from the joyful ear to ear smile of a 8 year old to the piercing death stare of today.
Yeah, I noticed that in photos of me at 6-7 my eyes look so bright, happy and 'lively'. But as time passes by they start looking more and more cynical. Now I probably look sad and barely amused...

I was also VERY naive as a child. I would trust anyone by their word. Didn't feel the need to distrust anyone. This changed as adults continually betrayed my trust. Now I don't trust almost anyone.

I also remember that I was way ahead of my peers in developing skills. When I was in nursery (pre-KG, don't ask) and we were taught how to read, I remember easily reading in my head whereas everyone around me would go A-P-P-L-E apple. I wondered whether I was doing something wrong...

Though the idea that I may be somewhat smarter in such skills did not hit me till in 6th grade, when I tried to guide a friend of mine to replace a game's save file on his computer... and he had had access to a computer for 3 years earlier than I did.

I also started school at the age of 2 (Nursery ofc) cause I was bored at home while my sisters were at school, atleast 2-3 years before my peers, though I did repeat 2 classes. One, because I failed in Nursery (exams from 4 year olds, wtf?), cause I didn't write my own paper, someone else did. I also had to repeat 3rd grade cause the school I had enrolled in thought that I might have problems due to my age later on. On that matter maybe I'd have been motivated to devote more time to my studies if the course material was harder?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've always liked drawing, building and especially contemplating about different things. This resulted in a very strange behavior as a child, like walking around the school yard alone or staying inside rather than go and play football. My teacher was very concerned with this, but I explained to her that I just needed some time by myself. Of course I did socialize, but whenever I did I quickly got bored and resorted to doing something quirky. And for some reason people always seemed to take it too seriously, like they didn't understand that I was joking and literally thought I was that stupid. I guess I was too trusting, but eventually I got fed up with it. Strangely enough one these people turned out to be my best friend, and ironically they called me short tempered because they didn't understand I was fed up with it either. Every other week he would provoke me, I would try to bash his skull in, and the very next day everything was cool. I couldn't bring myself to hate him, even though I knew he was lying through his teeth every time he opened his mouth. This one time I even twisted his arm, to the point where he was begging me to let go. I didn't believe him, and twisted his arm until he began to cry. What was everyone else doing? Cheering me on, like he deserved it.

But I digress, I guess what really changed me was technology. But that's another story.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was pretty darn introverted, especially after my father died (age 5) and I was molested by a babysitter (age 6).

Stuff I used to do: my mom says I used to come to daycare, walk right by a bunch of kids who were trying to say hi to me, and start playing with whatever toy I was waiting to play with. In elementary school, circa age 10, I would finish my class work and wander off to the library to help the librarians sort cards and whatever else they would let me do. At the pool, my mother says I would always shun the kids and chat with the lifeguards instead. I got into music in the form of choir and piano, and later horn, bassoon, trombone, and organ. I was an above-average organist, but I lacked the discipline/motivation to really become a virtuoso.

I had few friends as a child, usually one at a time, and most often a girl. In high school I was a loner, but had a couple friends from time to time, especially a fellow organist whom I saw once in a while. In college I started making some more friendships. Actually I developed a very close friendship, for me, with a smart girl when I was 18. She is nuanced enough that I've never been able to come up with a decent typing for her, and she declined to take the test. My best guess is XNFJ, but still not satisfied.

Oh yeah, in first grade (age 6) I would do one or two math problems on my homework, then refuse to do any more because I understood it already. I also refused to color coloring assignments in the lines. My teacher was a real old-school battleaxe. She showed my mom one of the pictures, and said, "let's just put this in the garbage where it belongs." What a witch.

·
Read Only
795 Posts
I actually think my personality type was probably different before 7th grade. Preschool was too carefree for me to have a personality. I didn't think about anything but Spiderman and Superman fighting each other. Grades K-3 were also easy and carefree. Only cared about being a faster runner than the other kids. 4th grade was when I started questioning my superiors in education. I was a bit rebellious and rarely did my homework, started using bad words, and those types of things. Fifth grade was the year where I tried a bit too hard to be an extraverted idiot (like every other popular kid). It actually worked. I was quite popular in 5th grade. 6th grade was when I started developing my current personality. All throughout my childhood, I think I was an introvert, but in 6th grade I started to reside even more in my head. 7th grade was the year where I'm sure I would be diagnosed with INTP. I started to develop a better sense of autonomy, and a critical way of thinking. I stopped worrying so much about popularity, and more about having the right (useful) friends. 8th grade when I found out that I was an INTP. I stopped trying to hide my quirks, and found a good, small group of 3 friends (two INTJs and an ENTJ). I slipped out of the mainstream and started doing things I enjoyed (art primarily). It makes me happier.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
There was a childhood thread around here a good while back that was...well, less depressing. Where are all those fond memories of reading the dictionary as a bedtime story?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
For many years as a child I refused to speak. Many people thought that I couldn't, that I was mute. I saw other human beings as these incomprehensible things. It made me want to study them, and I did, intently. My mom said it was like I was always watching, analyzing. It made her uncomfortable.

I was disagreeable though. I was content to say nothing, but if someone tried to engage me -- and usually it was to tell me what to do -- I didn't like it one bit. I would ignore it at times, and if pushed, I would become agitated. This really gave my parents a hard time, but I didn't like being forced to do things without understanding why I -should- do them.

I was extremely good at fixing things, taking things apart, putting them together, physical problem solving. My mom said I could fix anything that was broken.

I spent a lot of time with the pets. We had many.

Reading, writing, even solving math problems back then for fun was something I would do alone. My concentration just got worse with age. I blame an increasing anxiety from things that have happened in my life for that shift.

At some point, I realized that people were not these unknowable entities -- but rather predictable and annoying, and at times infuriating. My quiet resistance turned into belligerence quite often, until I was a lot older. In my teens and early 20s, I was outspoken and angry. People were easy to frighten, mobilize, push out of my way -- and I took advantage of it. Later, I lost the energy to care about it and the phase passed.

I had lots of fantasies as a child, some of them normal, some of them very dark and fucked up. There were fantasies about traveling around the world, and I would often play in boats and pretend I was on some voyage, with a compass and my thoughts. The dark fantasies were about hurting people. I started having fantasies about the opposite sex very early on too. Most of them are a bit too shocking to talk about, and it still surprises me that I thought things like that at such an early age. When I was 13ish, I would enjoy thinking about intercourse with demonic creatures.

I became fascinated by the horror genre when I was a child, and in my pre-teens I became curious about the occult and paranormal. I wanted to explore every mysterious and dark crevice of existence.

Once I was old enough to go explore more of those things, I put myself in life-risking situations to see more. I have been in a lot of situations that would shock most people.

I remember being a child and being completely confused about how people could just have things in common and become friends. I thought about this a lot, watching them. The way they interacted confused me. I would often play alone and be content to do so, but this curiosity ate at me.

The first friends I had were cousins, and friends of cousins. Most of them were male, and we would routinely beat the tar out of each other playing war-games, and just doing stupid things outside like children in the rural south do.

The first female friends I made were two little girls in the neighborhood who walked by me and my cousins house one day, dolled up. My initial response was something like, they're ridiculous. I don't think I thought I was the least bit feminine until I was 15 or so. So these girly girls were silly creatures to me. I beat them up and sent them home muddy and crying. Their parents called mine, and asked if we could try to get along. Grudgingly I accepted, probably out of curiosity -- and they ended up becoming my best childhood friends. We played games plotting against the cousin's male friends.

School was hard for me as a kid. The actual curriculum was very easy, but paying attention and getting along with people was very hard. I would constantly do inappropriate things, say things that were very out of place, and not understand in general what was wrong.

I was quiet, but I had a dominant energy that even my father felt threatened by, even when I was a wee little girl. He stood up to me once, and said "you will not overpower me" -- and I silently seethed, thinking, give it time, old man.

Reactions: Strider95

·
Registered
270 Posts
For some reason, in Kindergarten, my teacher put me in special-ed, and then in 1st grade, I was GRADING spelling tests (but still in spesh ed). I think it was because of my handwriting, but I'm not really sure, she was a total b-i bitch. Personality-wise, I was always introverted, but still had friends because I liked sports and was really smart in Elementary School. When I moved away from New York to North Carolina, I tried hard to fit in by being more social, but really it was just making more noise and annoying people. My grades slowly got worse, and I had very few friends except when I played baseball a city over. It's kind of stupid how I went through seven years of living in North Carolina not even knowing who my friends are. I'm still introverted, I'm still really smart, I just didn't try in school at all. I'm still going to a good college, but far away and I'm looking to make a name for myself and garner excellent friendships when I go away. I feel like I've repeated this so many times, but it all comes back to this...fuck, why am I such a loser? :|

·
Registered
791 Posts
I loved to draw and I was placed in many leadership positions by others...I apparently was witty and spoke well. Like I had to MC for this talent show in kindergarten and whatnot. Anyhow, I was always very confident (or are all children? Hard to remember at this age, sigh). I really felt superior to others, too, and that much hasn't changed - sadly. I also remember feeling liked a lot, looked up to, even at that young age! Wow seriously, I was an arrogant small...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I was highly introverted, a lot more than I am now. I remember thoughts rather than actual situations. It's funny cause it seems to me now, that when I was a little kid I was blind, deaf and mute.

I can tell you though what my first grade teacher wrote about me. "She is not taking part in classroom activities. She is always quiet and she never raises her hand, although when I ask her a question she seems to know the answer. She seems bored and uninterested and she's always looking out the window."
INTP since 6yo.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts