Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ISFP Child

ISFP children are gentle free-spirits who are easy-going and compassionate. They are highly sensitive and often have a knack for art, music and style. They love beauty, and have a desire to make beautiful things. They care deeply for their families and friends and live to make the best of each moment.

The unique childhood struggles of the ISFP:

ISFPs are highly sensitive and easily get hurt feelings as children; yelling, spankings, or criticism of any kind can make them feel very vulnerable and stressed. They want lots of snuggles, cuddles and approval, and if they don’t receive it as children it can make them feel very insecure and sad. However, at heart, like all SPs, ISFPs are optimists, and will try to look at what is positive in their lives.

ISFPs are extremely sensory, and love to touch and feel everything. They also are somewhat impulsive, and rules are easily forgotten. For this reason they can face a lot of discipline and they take that very hard. They also can feel stifled in an environment that is highly structured and rigid; they like to have a low-key lifestyle without a lot of demands on their time.

ISFPs usually love TV and videogames, and find school to often be boring and frustrating. Although they want to please their parents and teachers, they have a tendency to underachieve. They tend to only place importance on the practical and immediate needs, and often feel misunderstood or looked over in school settings. They can also face parents who are less than pleased with their academic performance or their personal pursuits. They may feel that they are never “good enough” to please the people most important to them. ISFPs can be highly intelligent, but learn best in a hands-on, active learning environment.

ISFPs struggle with planning ahead; they live in the moment, like other SPs and are better at being adaptable. For this reason, long detailed projects and tasks are overwhelming for them. Parents of ISFP children could help by breaking down projects for them into workable segments so that they don’t get as overwhelmed.

ISFPs need approval and support growing up; otherwise life is a scary and formidable experience. They care very much what other people think of them, and will often spend a great deal of time choosing the right clothes or brushing their teeth. They want to make a good impression on others, and because they are so sensory by nature, the way they look matters a lot to them. Don’t confuse this with vanity, ISFPs have a great understanding of beauty and like to incorporate that part of their personality into their dress.

ISFPs are very sensitive and will have a hard time dealing with conflict of any kind. When faced with hurt feelings, they may become very dramatic and misread things entirely. They may jump to conclusions and feel like someone hates them who merely disagrees with them. They have a tendency to hold grudges; and can use a lot of help from parents in learning to manage their emotions and not take things so hard.

Copied from:
The Childhood Struggles of Every Myers Briggs Type - Psychology Junkie

·
Banned
699 Posts
As a kid, I think I liked approval from my family and friends, but not too much. I never liked and still don't like being gushed over. I suppose I'm a rare ISFP because I did awesome in school. I have the insatiable inner motivation to do well in whatever I set my mind to do, so I got close to a 4.0 in high school and a 3.87 in college. I didn't like most of the subjects I studied but academics came pretty naturally to me I guess, and I'm a quick learner. I will admit that when I'm by myself, I look in the mirror a lot; not to puff myself up, but because I wonder what other people see when they look at me. I like experimenting with different looks and makeup every once in a while, though my style is usually very laid back and "natural."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts