Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, this thread has probably been done before, but I've had one drink too many so here we go.

I realize many of you already have children, so I'll try to find a way for you to contribute to this thread also. Basically what I am looking for is what does everyone want when it comes to children. such as how many, would you like one boy one girl? Would you rather have one natural child and adopt one child? For those of you with children maybe you can talk about whether your first was planned, or if you want to have more. I dunno.

I don't want to have any of my own children, but I realize that can change. Still I personally would like to adopt one child. Thats about it for me really. I would prefer to raise him (yes it would be a boy) with a female (should one be able to stand me) but that isn't really a necessity for me. It may sound silly but as soon as I finish college and have a stable successful career (who knows in todays economy) I intend to adopt. I have some rather interesting views on parenting which I am not going to go into here, but I guess I won't know until I have actually tried it.

Reactions: Latte

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've always wanted kids. I know I'm a bit young to be thinking about settling down, but whenever I imagine my future, kids are always the main component. Ideally, I'd love to marry and do it the ole' fashion way, but if I get to an age when I realise having children is no longer an option, then I'd look into adoption.

I also love the idea of fostering. But knowing me, I'd get far too attached.

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
I don't yet know if I want to be a dad. I think I would like to have two girls and a boy if I do become a dad in the future.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I don't want kids - at least not biological ones. If I decide to have any, I want to adopt one (two at max), and preferably an older - at least age 8 - child. I just can't see myself as having the patience to handle small children, especially babies, on a daily basis. I love them and all, but...yeah.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea the child I would adopt would be around 3 I think. About the time they start picking more complex things up. I want to try to raise a genius, at least that's what I'm beginning to suspect of myself. It may sound cold talking about it like some type of experiment but I still plan to give the child as good of a home as possible.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My stand on this is pretty obvious. I think they're massive amount of responsibility and time/ effort/ money sinkers I never want to deal with.
I'm sure I can be much more productive and fulfilled without spending resources/ life on them.

And if they turned up broken, you can't return them and demand your money back.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
I don't plan to have any kids. I can't stand them for more than a couple hours.
I agree with that, also I doubt I'd be a good father.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Oh. I thought this thread was about whether I'd like to be a child or not be a child. :')

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'd make a wonderful mother to an introverted child, but I highly doubt it would be the same with an extroverted one.
Considering you can't choose the type of your children, I'd prefer not having any. I'm too scared I'd be an awful mom.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Gabbi, I have an introverted child and two extroverted. I have a special understanding of the intoverted one and always have, so I can tell you, opposites are nothing to fear. My oldest is either an ENFP or maybe an ENFJ and we really 'get' eachother! My other one is extroverted too, but not sure what type. Much more negative so we have trouble understanding each other and that's tough for me because I'm very relational.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm 28 years old and I still don't have a desire to have children. Everyone keeps telling me that it'll hit me eventually.... Considering I'm approaching 30 and still don't even want to settle down, I don't see kids being in my near future either.

And to be honest, if I ever did want children, I think I'd rather adopt because there are so many children out there that need a home.... I can't imagine what it is like for a kid to get lost in the "system."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not having kids. Period.
In my future I possibly see settling down with someone, but not getting married, either.
And it's funny, some women are just SO set on having children:confused:...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Gabbi, I have an introverted child and two extroverted. I have a special understanding of the intoverted one and always have, so I can tell you, opposites are nothing to fear. My oldest is either an ENFP or maybe an ENFJ and we really 'get' eachother! My other one is extroverted too, but not sure what type. Much more negative so we have trouble understanding each other and that's tough for me because I'm very relational.
I could possibly get a better understanding of extroverted people as I get older. After all, I'm only nineteen.
But so far, I realize I'm completely useless when I have to take care of an Exxx kid and no matter how much I love them, I can't stand being in a room with them for a long time. That would be terrible if it was my feelings towards my children =/

·
Banned
109 Posts
I don't have any children and am not going to have any (I took care of that 3 years ago by getting them tied). I never envisioned myself with children but thought when to time was right to conceive I would feel it - well that feeling never came. I briefly thought about adoption (3 to 4 year old), but my husband was not too keen on the idea and would have preferred to raise his own children.

However, a few years ago we decided not to have children and are very happy living our lives child-free.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, I'd like to have kids. But at the same time I'm scared for several reasons....
I'm scared of not having any time for myself - I know this sounds selfish but I need time to "hibernate" and recharge my batteries...
And more importantly, I'm scared not raising the kids properly. I mean I'm so screwed up and unsure about everything myself, so I can't even imagine what my kids would turn out to be...
How do you people who have children manage?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I know that I 100% want to have children. I know that I have my own baggage and issues, and on a certain level that makes me uncertain as to what kind of mother I would be, but I have wanted children almost since I was one :happy:
I love children so much. There is something about their innate vulnerability and need that draws me to them, and I think really plays on the "protector" dimension of my INFJ personality. I love nothing more than comforting or being with a small, innocent child, and feeling that I can nurture and care for them, and protect them from any harm.

I have no idea of numbers - I think I would be best getting a feel for that as I go along. I don't think they would necessarily have to be my own biological offspring, though, so I would be very open to the idea of adoption. I would love to give a loving home to a child that has been abused or neglected. I know you can't save all children who are treated that way, but to my mind just one would be better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.