Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What were/are your favourite children's books? Or perhaps any books that resonated with you or you remember fondly even?
Let's say...from around the ages of 5-10? (That's a pretty decent range to cover, I think?)

I remember Amelia Bedelia fondly. (What she lacked in understanding of figurative language, she made up for in delicious lemon meringue pie~)

Reactions: AnCapKevin

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
5-10...?

The book I remember liking the most was a huge fact book about ants.

Among more literary books, it would be "Five" series. I think it's called Five in English. The Enid Blyton ones.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I liked "where the wild things are" and a few other ones that I can't remember. Unfortunately my childhood is a bit of a blur and i'm trying to remember it.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I read an encyclopedia about dinosaurs. I spent my time memorizing and studying the geological timeline.

This was also when my mathematical interest started, so I would try to pick up some mathematics from general encyclopedias. I taught myself algebra and trigonometry this way. At 10 I moved on to calculus.

Fiction-wise was the Harry Potter series.

I did read legitimate children's books, but usually at or before the age of 5. Amelia Bedelia was a favorite too.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Hmm age 5-10, that's what? Kindergarten through 5th grade? I don't remember many books, but there's this one book that stands out.

The Eleventh hour - Graeme Base

Amazon: Amazon.com: The Eleventh Hour: A Curious Mystery (9780140561609): Graeme Base: Books

In this book, there is a storyline of a party with many different animals, and one of the party guests ate all the food. In each page of the illustrations there are clues that leads to who that culprit was.

I remember spending countless hours looking into the pictures and finding out every one of its little secrets even after finding out which of the characters it was.

If this is the content you're looking for, I recommend this book.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I read books for little girls when I was learning language. Then I moved onto horseback novels and fantasy books by Tolkien and Lewis. I loved them and I still remember most of them.:happy:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
From the ages of 8-10 I was a rather precocious reader. I think I went through a phase of really liking Gone With the Wind. The Phantom Tollbooth was probably a favourite as well. And then a lot of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers, full of factoids and histories, until my mother stopped buying them for me because she decided I was too vocal about the facts I learned.

When I was younger than that, I Lost My Bear. It's about a girl who lost her bear.

Reactions: JamesDowns

·
Registered
953 Posts
Something about the lives of turtle and the rabbit after the turtle beat the rabbit and the rabbit was all poor and lived in a terrible home and the turtle found him, he is now a millionaire, and gave him all the money he needed.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I just remembered my favorite one from when I was young. Not the name though.

It was a bunch of animals that were making a cake, and each animal snuck their favorite food into the cake mix, it ended up being so gross that only the goat could eat the cake.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really loved The Nine Lives of Aristotle and this one book with a mouse and her friend visiting or something. I forget what it's called.

·
Registered
794 Posts
From the ages of 8-10 I was a rather precocious reader. I think I went through a phase of really liking Gone With the Wind. The Phantom Tollbooth was probably a favourite as well. And then a lot of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers, full of factoids and histories, until my mother stopped buying them for me because she decided I was too vocal about the facts I learned.

When I was younger than that, I Lost My Bear. It's about a girl who lost her bear.
Holy crap I loved the Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. I read everything in the one my family had. The Phantom Tollbooth was recommended by my mother and I still have it on the shelf next to me.

I read approximately half of the Hardy Boys series but then felt they were too boring because despite coming across very frustrating situations, they never swore or acted very human-like. Harry Potter of course but I stopped at number 5 because all I remember about it was meetings they had about preparing for this and that.

Johnny Tremaine but only because it was one of the last books on my shelf. I don't really like Historical Fiction that much. Sparrows in the Scullery, The Diamond Throne, The Ruby Knight, The Sapphire Rose(all three written by David Eddings), Hatchet by Gary Paulsen(almost forgot this one and it was probably one of the best books I have ever read), The Giver(I was REALLY creeped out by this one), every single strip of Calvin and Hobbes, The Island of the Blue Dolphins, A Wrinkle in Time(I can't believe I finished it because I barely understood it at all), and a slew of others.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Lol, I loved Amelia Bedilia too. The novels I remember loving best from that time were the Narnia series and the Little House on the Prarie series.

I have a crappy memory so I'll post again if I can remember any other favourites from the 5 -10 days...

·
Registered
476 Posts
My first grade teacher used to always read Amelia Bedelia. I loved those.

I liked magic treehouse, which were about all sorts of different time periods and events. Interesting.
Harry Potter.
The Shadow Children Series was very good. A Series of Unfortunate Events.
I read a lot of kids' encyclopedias too.

Flames of the Tiger, perspective of a teenager who lived in Berlin and was in the war in WWII. It was about his backstory and them fleeing west away from the Soviets, was my favorite.

As far as real, real young...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I read hundreds of books between those ages. Lord of the Rings was always and still is a favorite. I loved Nancy Drew mysteries. All the Chronicles of Narnia books, The Little Princess, Little Women.... The Ramona Quimby books. My mom had to force me into stepping outside. I had my nose buried in books, and the last thing I wanted to do was go outside, so I sneaked books outside with me. :D

Reactions: JamesDowns

·
Read Only
795 Posts
There was a Christian Children's book called You Are Special (My parents had aspirations of me being a strong Christian.) I had it memorised before I could read just from my dad reading it to me. Once I started reading on my own, the Animorphs books always interested me greatly. So did Harry Potter.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I read hundreds of books between those ages. Lord of the Rings was always and still is a favorite. I loved Nancy Drew mysteries. All the Chronicles of Narnia books, The Little Princess, Little Women.... The Ramona Quimby books. My mom had to force me into stepping outside. I had my nose buried in books, and the last thing I wanted to do was go outside, so I sneaked books outside with me. :D
I distinctly remember my dad punishing me by taking away my books. I thought and still think that its a strange punishment but I was a strange kid. My mom grounded me once and it was too hilarious because how do you ground someone without friends. It was truly the funniest parental blunder I had heard of.

Reactions: Arya
1 - 20 of 25 Posts