Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I am a 3.98 GPA psychology major and I think I am wanting to become a therapist. Do you think INTJs will make good therapists? I have already two pages of feedback from the people around the world I helped through my self help web site telling me I am for it but I feel nervous because I am not the stereotypical therapist-INFJ-type of person... I am not particularly artsy (though I do appreciate it) and I enjoy scientific pursuits in my free time like reading about physics and biology. Having said that I LOVE helping people and am quite introverted and introspective.

In reality I am quite empathetic and good with emotions...

What do you think? :/

·
Registered
361 Posts
You have a website to help people, you have helped said people, They say you are "For it"... If it was a bad idea I think you wouldn't have been able to help people in the first place and you would have a butch of crazy people telling you to get bent not keep it up. Nerves are nasty little things don't listen to them.

And nothing about being a INTJ means you can't be a therapist... In fact I am pretty sure being a INTJ means we can do any damned thing we please, and do it better than anyone else! :laughing: Plus think of all us INTJ's who may need therapy... I think I would strangle a shrink who only every asked how I FEEL, so if I ever seek therapy I will be happy to know that one of my own is in the field to represent. :crazy:

Best of Luck:happy:

·
Registered
644 Posts
The real question should be do you want to?

Am I suitable? -Doesn't matter, you can become suitable. That is what the training is for.

So what if you are not an INFJ...I'm not going to be a therapist just because I took a test and it told me I was a certain way. Don't take personality typing too seriously. At best it is a rough guide.

What others think doesn’t really matter, it’s not their life.

You can be anything you want to be, your destiny is your own. Listen to yourself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
well if you want to help people and you re good at it go for it...and don t care about being INTJ ....you can be a good therapist i believe in u

Reactions: gmppersonality

·
Registered
112 Posts
I highly recommend getting some real clinical experience. This was an eye opener for me and should be for you as well.

Personally I love teaching and tutoring (and would find tough, weird psych cases very interesting), but my sense is that 99% of those who come to therapy are there to talk about their boyfriend/girlfriend, their mean co-worker, their perception that they are getting fat, etc., in other words, things that I find incredibly boring to deal with in person. Therapy is not a one time advice giving session where you unload your thoughts (like on the interweb), but rather tends to be a longer process in which your guidance slowly becomes assimilated into the client over weeks / months / years.

To answer your question, if you have the patience, inclination, and you really know you want to do this, then I think you could become an outstanding therapist. Your strength as a therapist, that others would not have, is the ability to project a very positive, concrete vision of the future and lead your client in that direction. Good luck!

Reactions: gmppersonality

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey everyone.

I am a 3.98 GPA psychology major and I think I am wanting to become a therapist. Do you think INTJs will make good therapists? I have already two pages of feedback from the people around the world I helped through my self help web site telling me I am for it but I feel nervous because I am not the stereotypical therapist-INFJ-type of person... I am not particularly artsy (though I do appreciate it) and I enjoy scientific pursuits in my free time like reading about physics and biology. Having said that I LOVE helping people and am quite introverted and introspective.

INTJ's can be anything they want. Hell they could be kindergarten teachers if they really wanted to. Just because you have a T instead of an F does not mean you'd be any less of a therapist than an INFJ. It's up to you to work on the skills necessary to succeed in that field.

Ask yourself if you're a people person. If you don't like the idea of being able to talk about people's feelings in a non-confrontational manner, maybe a therapist's job isn't right for you. If you like the idea, then what's stopping you? Stereotypes are for pansies.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Hey everyone.

I think you're the shit ; ). Go for it. You don't need to be INFJ. You just need to be helpful and that you prolly are being an INTJ.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll add that Clinical Psychology normally involves significant amounts of research which, if you are into that thing personally, would also fit very well with an INTJ personality.

The PsyD is much more practice based.

Given your academic credentials and your interest in physics and biology, you could also opt for the MD route and become a psychiatrist.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey everyone.

I'm glad I can answer this, because I am planning on getting my Master's in college counseling after I graduate with my BA in the next 6 months. I also considered becoming a therapist, before I decided college counseling would be a better fit.

Personally, I think an INTJ would make a great therapist. I say this because INTJ's are like mad scientists, they can come up with their own types of ideas and are very independent. You could very well pioneer your own type of therapy method or psycological theory. You may come off as aloof to some, but if you work on your empathy a bit, it will be a big help to your relationships with your patients. Also, you are very analytical which will be a big help. I have found that therapists tend to be very introverted, so I don't think that would be against you. I say go for it! My type is the least empathetic of all types, and i'm going into college counseing and I am majoring in Human Deveopment right now at a 4 year university. I may even get a phd in psychology/counseling one day, but if I did i'd probably go into research/teaching/administration with it. Anyways, back to you: I think you should go for it. Have you taken any psychology classes yet? If I were you, i'd also look into sociology or human development/family studies which can be similar. Are you a freshman/sophomore/junior/senior?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad I can answer this, because I am planning on getting my Master's in college counseling after I graduate with my BA in the next 6 months. I also considered becoming a therapist, before I decided college counseling would be a better fit.

Personally, I think an INTJ would make a great therapist. I say this because INTJ's are like mad scientists, they can come up with their own types of ideas and are very independent. You could very well pioneer your own type of therapy method or psycological theory. You may come off as aloof to some, but if you work on your empathy a bit, it will be a big help to your relationships with your patients. Also, you are very analytical which will be a big help. I have found that therapists tend to be very introverted, so I don't think that would be against you. I say go for it! My type is the least empathetic of all types, and i'm going into college counseing and I am majoring in Human Deveopment right now at a 4 year university. I may even get a phd in psychology/counseling one day, but if I did i'd probably go into research/teaching/administration with it. Anyways, back to you: I think you should go for it. Have you taken any psychology classes yet? If I were you, i'd also look into sociology or human development/family studies which can be similar. Are you a freshman/sophomore/junior/senior?
Thank you so much for this great post! I liked all the replies to my question but this one was great! yes i am very passionate about it and have 2 pages of feedback from my web site backing me up that i'm good at it. :cool::laughing: I am a sophomore psychology major.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you so much for this great post! I liked all the replies to my question but this one was great! yes i am very passionate about it and have 2 pages of feedback from my web site backing me up that i'm good at it. :cool::laughing: I am a sophomore psychology major.
I stay stick with it. I'm sure you will have to take classes in different areas of psychology (i.e. abnormal, developmental, child, etc.). Maybe you will fall in love with one particular area or maybe you just will just love the whole discipline. I myself love Human Development/developmental psychology. There is some advice that I have to give to you, since I have studied what it takes to get into a Phd program. If you want to be admitted to a doctorate in psychology program, you must:

1. Keep your GPA up high! You have done a great job at that so far. Reputable psychology programs usually have a median GPA entering class of between 3.4-3.7. To be competitive try to keep your gpa high. If this means taking extra classes that are easy/outside of your major to help you out, by all means do it. You will also need to take your GRE, so make sure you study for that well ahead of time.

2.Get research experience right away. This is as important as your GPA. Ask around you department for professors who need some help doing research. Get as much as possible. To be competitive for a phd program, you need to show that your serious about research. I would say 2 years worth at least. You are a sophomore, so I would get on it right away. Also, volunteer somewhere, maybe as a crisis counselor or some other place where you can get on the job type of training and experience dealing with individuals with psychological issues and problems.

3. Understand that there are two types of psychology doctorates: The Phd and the PsyD. The Phd is the original classic degree, which focuses on research, and the Psyd: A relatively new type of doctorate (20 or so years old) that trains psychologists specifically for clinical settings. Although there are a few close minded scholars and practicioners who believe the Phd is superior, the PsyD is just as reputable as the Phd, considering you get it from a good school. Which brings me to my next point:

4. There are two types of schools for doctorates in psychology: (BEWARE of this!!) There are for profit and non profit professional schools with names like Argosy, Alliant, Chicago School of Professional Psychology. I would stay away from these schools at all cost. I think there a waste of money because: One, they are mocked by a lot of professionals as being easy diploma mills because they have such easy standards of admission. Two, they have very low match rates for students trying to gain APA accredited internship hours. I would avoid these like the plague, and they cost upwards of 200,000 dollars on top of all the other negatives.

The schools you should be looking at: Big name schools like the University of California Schools, Stanford, University of Oregon, University of Washington, Rutgers, Iowa, etc.

I don't know where you live, but there should be a big name reputed school in your state that has a good doctorate program. Again, go to these schools and avoid the professional ones.

Start on these things now, because the sooner you begin doing them (research, volunteer work, etc) the better shot you will have at admissions. Getting into a doctorate program in psychology can be brutal as they are very selective, and I mean it. They are as tough to get into as med school. Make sure you get to know a few professors for letters of recommendation too. If you do all these things above you should have no problem getting into a great school.

Being a future college counselor, I know quite a bit of info about transfer/admission requirements, programs, campus locations, future career choices and opportunities, etc. I would be glad to give you some more advice, either on here or by PM. So don't hesitate to ask! Hope I was of some help.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would have answered this differently before I found an INTJ therapist for myself. The difference is cognitive therapy as opposed to some of the common more traditional therapies out there. In US you do not need research or doctorate. Cognitive does not work with emotions or childhood directly. It is looking for the inconsistencies in someone's perception of reality and pointing it out to them and helping them resolve the inconsistencies. This is something we are good at naturally. I'm sure there are a lot of clients who want to talk about their boyfriend, but you get to show them where they are out of reality within their relationship. I am not sure how fun it is for a feeler to be in therapy with a cognitive therapist, but I'm sure you could find clients who could handle it.

·
Retard
16,329 Posts
I had an INTJ therapist and i found they were too analytical.I needed more of a feeler for myself personally.Someone who could have more empathy for the way i was at that time.If you want analysis,hard to beat an INTJ though.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Hey everyone.

I don't know if you would make a good therapist or not. I mean your Ni would be good in theraphy for understanding abstract theories and for seeing all sides of a situation. The only thing that could pose a problem for you is empathizing for your patients. The positive side of this is that you would not be as easily saddened and emotionally scarred by peoples constant depressing and heart wrenching stories and problems that would be presented to you on a regular basis. A lot of Fi users that I know have a hard time doing things like social work and therapy from my experience because they can't stand this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've never been to a therapist or a psychiatrist...but...I would imagine they are somewhat similar in that you have to understand where your patient is coming from and have the ability to empathize and what not. Personally, I've been trying to figure out if I should go into neurology or psychiatry because I am obsessed with the brain.

I think I have ruled out psychiatry though. Although I am fascinated by neurotransmitter interplay in affecting personality and behavior, and manipulating them to reach a desired outcome, I just don't think I could connect with patients a good enough emotional level. I sure as hell don't understand most people and have a hard time seeing where they are coming from, especially dysfunctional ones that need therapy in the first place. That's the issue. I can feel their sadness and want to help, but do not know how. I would think that a therapist would need to focus even more on the root causes of people's issues, which is tough thing for an INTJ to do in my opinion. However, many INTJs do become therapists and especially psychiatrists. I would disregard your type for a moment and focus more on each function. Find out where extraverted feeling falls for you. I know for me, it is dead last, although my Fi is quite strong.

The positive side of this is that you would not be as easily saddened and emotionally scarred by peoples constant depressing and heart wrenching stories and problems that would be presented to you on a regular basis. A lot of Fi users that I know have a hard time doing things like social work and therapy from my experience because they can't stand this.
Whoa whoa whoa. Why do people think that INTJs are unemotional. I personally think we can feel empathy very deeply. Just because we don't always understand does not mean we do not feel another's pain and sadness. I am easily touched by others. The difference is, I keep it all internal and no one ever knows what I am feeling, and that I don't let it affect my functioning or actions. Indeed, another reason psychiatry is not for me is because I don't want to be emotionally affected by people's stories/problems. I think Fi is responsible for this.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I've never been to a therapist or a psychiatrist...but...I would imagine they are somewhat similar in that you have to understand where your patient is coming from and have the ability to empathize and what not. Personally, I've been trying to figure out if I should go into neurology or psychiatry because I am obsessed with the brain.

I think I have ruled out psychiatry though. Although I am fascinated by neurotransmitter interplay in affecting personality and behavior, and manipulating them to reach a desired outcome, I just don't think I could connect with patients a good enough emotional level. I sure as hell don't understand most people and have a hard time seeing where they are coming from, especially dysfunctional ones that need therapy in the first place. That's the issue. I can feel their sadness and want to help, but do not know how. I would think that a therapist would need to focus even more on the root causes of people's issues, which is tough thing for an INTJ to do in my opinion. However, many INTJs do become therapists and especially psychiatrists. I would disregard your type for a moment and focus more on each function. Find out where extraverted feeling falls for you. I know for me, it is dead last, although my Fi is quite strong.
You know what you should do? Major in social and behavioral sciences. That is what I soon plan to change my major to. I'll probably study it with an emphasis in "behavioral economics".

Whoa whoa whoa. Why do people think that INTJs are unemotional. I personally think we can feel empathy very deeply. Just because we don't always understand does not mean we do not feel another's pain and sadness. I am easily touched by others. The difference is, I keep it all internal and no one ever knows what I am feeling, and that I don't let it affect my functioning or actions. Indeed, another reason psychiatry is not for me is because I don't want to be emotionally affected by people's stories/problems. I think Fi is responsible for this.
You must be one unique INTJ. Most INTJ's that I come across are like androids and find it hard to empathesize or to express emotion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You must be one unique INTJ. Most INTJ's that I come across are like androids and find it hard to empathesize or to express emotion.
Or maybe this is what you're seeing: "The difference is, I keep it all internal and no one ever knows what I am feeling, and that I don't let it affect my functioning or actions"

Empathy is an entirely internal thing. So an INTJ can feel empathy but may not express it outwardly. And true we do not express emotion much, but that is completely unrelated to empathy. Also, just because we don't express emotion does not mean that it's not there. The ENFP way of being outwardly expressive of their emotions does not necessarily make them more emotional

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Or maybe this is what you're seeing: "The difference is, I keep it all internal and no one ever knows what I am feeling, and that I don't let it affect my functioning or actions"

Empathy is an entirely internal thing. So an INTJ can feel empathy but may not express it outwardly. And true we do not express emotion much, but that is completely unrelated to empathy. Also, just because we don't express emotion does not mean that it's not there. The ENFP way of being outwardly expressive of their emotions does not necessarily make them more emotional
I used this example in another thread, but I'll use it again. One day in class, we had an INTJ teacher who presented a class project. The project was to read a paper and to express our opinions on it. Basically, the paper was on capitalist named "George Pullman". Pullman was a true American capitalist. He would constantly raise capital and would pay his workers such a low wage that their families would literally starve and suffer. Now me and another ISFP friend of mine thought that this was horrible. However, the ESTP and INTJ teacher thought that the man was a good businessman for doing this. The INTJ could not see past the logic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used this example in another thread, but I'll use it again. One day in class, we had an INTJ teacher who presented a class project. The project was to read a paper and to express our opinions on it. Basically, the paper was on capitalist named "George Pullman". Pullman was a true American capitalist. He would constantly raise capital and would pay his workers such a low wage that their families would literally starve and suffer. Now me and another ISFP friend of mine thought that this was horrible. However, the ESTP and INTJ teacher thought that the man was a good businessman for doing this. The INTJ could not see past the logic.
Haha so you had an asshole INTJ teacher! That proves absolutely nothing. I'm sure someone in the world can find a similar example where that teacher is an ENFP. You are essentially arguing that because of 1 INTJ, all INTJs are likely to be similar.

Personally I think what George Pullman did is horrible, and it is prevalent today to the extreme and is the cause of modern poverty. I'm sure most INTJs would agree with me, and not your teacher. By a landslide. Plus, I am pro-capitalist and very anti-socialiist programs. Your argument sounds like it is coming from a very jaded person

And it is not an issue of "seeing past the logic"...both viewpoints rely on logic. It is simply a matter of which you use

"The capitalist has not broken any laws, is providing goods for people and is doing nothing wrong by asking for compensation for his hard work. The poor people should have had more entrepreneurial spirit and they could be doing the same thing. Life is not fair."

or

"The capitalist is extorting underprivileged people in a very selfish way and only furthering his own well being at the expense of so many others. What he is doing is essentially a crime! He is murdering and torturing these people in an indirect way. Does he have no values?"

Both statements are logical.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Haha so you had an asshole INTJ teacher! That proves absolutely nothing. I'm sure someone in the world can find a similar example where that teacher is an ENFP. You are essentially arguing that because of 1 INTJ, all INTJs are likely to be similar.

Personally I think what George Pullman did is horrible, and it is prevalent today to the extreme and is the cause of modern poverty. I'm sure most INTJs would agree with me, and not your teacher. By a landslide. Your argument sounds like it is coming from a very jaded person

And it is not an issue of "seeing past the logic"...both viewpoints rely on logic. It is simply a matter of which you use

"The capitalist has not broken any laws, is providing goods for people and is doing nothing wrong by asking for a little compensation. The poor people should have had more entrepreneurial spirit and they could be doing the same thing. Life is not fair."

or

"The capitalist is extorting underprivileged people in a very selfish way and only furthering his own well being at the expense of so many others. What he is doing is essentially a crime! He is murdering and torturing these people in an indirect way. Does he have no values?"

Both statements are logical.
You don't get it, it wasn't just that teacher. I know several INTJ personalities and very few of them are empathetic. I believe that you are just an extremely unique INTJ.

Reactions: Surreal Snake
1 - 20 of 23 Posts