Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I'm not a fan of him

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now going to watch Inception from Christopher Nolan and I was wondering if, any of you, INFP's in general like the movies made from this director. He directed Following, Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk. Are we infp's into Christopher Nolan or not that much?

I'm not really such a Nolan fan. Those are the movies i've seen and how i've rated them (on /10).

• 1. Following (1998) - 7/10
  • 2. The Prestige (2006) - 7/10
  • 3. Batman Begins (2005) - 6/10
  • 4. Interstellar (2014) - 6/10
  • 5. Insomnia (2002) - 5/10
  • 6. The Dark Knight (2008) - 4/10 (however, i need to rewatch it)
  • 7. Memento (2000) - 3/10

Like you see, i'm not really into him. I have to see The Dark Knight Rises, Inception and ... Dunkirk yet, but i don't know if those movies are something for me. I doubt it honestly. The problem i have with his movies is that he doesn't calculate enough rest moments in his film (it's too much action-focused or story-driven). It's too hectic and often just too much. He also approaches film too much like you would approach maths or so. There is not such a good atmosphere or one that i think is impressive. The plot also mostly just disappoints, and if you want to see what I mean, look at the end of Memento. It's such a complicated movie where you have to puzzle all the time with clues, and than that's the end you've got. The music is also not that good (i'm sorry), and i'm not really a fan of the camera movements / cinematography either.

Also for the ones who clicked on this link, and wanted to type him, you can do it, go on. I'm not stopping you. I'm not the one who is telling against all of you, that we have an addiction: typing people and that it is killing all of us, but for the record, what is his type?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Nope I love Christopher Nolan, I think his films are brilliant, amazing visuals and music, good pacing, interesting and powerful characters and epic stories. I think he is ISFP. Memento, Dark Knight series, Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk are the ones that I've seen, and I found them all impressive. It's weird that you gave the Dark Knight only 4/10 seeing as it is often considered one of the best films of all time, certainly I would consider it so. So what's a 10/10 film for you then?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
He's in my top 5 directors for sure. I don't like all of his movies, but I appreciate his mind immensely, and I always watch whatever he puts out, to see what he has to offer.

Interstellar is my absolute fave film in the history of filmmaking. Maybe one day something else will come along that will become my new fave, but so far...

My other favourite films by him are The Prestige and Batman Begins.
I watched Prestige three times at the cinema back in the day and I watch it often on my dvd player. I also make my acquaintances and whatever guy I'm dating at any given time watch it if they say they have no idea what it is. So far everyone has loved it and thanked me for passing it along :)
I watched Batman Begins six times at the cinema. I was obsessed and it brought me so much comfort. I still watch it on dvd whenever I'm having a sad day and need comfort.

I disliked The Dark Knight and Inception. I didn't hate them or anything, I simply thought Bleh just wasted my time. I watched The Dark Knight four times, because I'm a huge fan of Batman and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy. Everyone was so obsessed with Heath Ledger's performance, and I thought "Am I crazy for thinking that it's mediocre?". But hey all four times I was underwhelmed.
I watched Memento maaaaany years ago, and it didn't do anything to me. I would need to watch it again to have an updated opinion.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I think he's good, but he's not my favourite.

Nolan has a tendency to make very cerebral, plot-heavy films that do very little for me on an emotional level. One thing that bugs me a bit is how almost every character in his films feels like a conniving Machiavellian asshole. Like, for real... I enjoyed The Prestige and Inception, but there wasn't one major character in those films who was even remotely likeable to me. There's a misanthropic undertone to it all, at least that's the vibe I get.

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
He's definitely one of the good ones. Interstellar was a masterpiece imo, I was sobbing really hard at some point. Good thing it was loud and no one could hear me and my bf was there so I hid under his arm.
I've watched interstellar, inception and the batman films (batman begins was really nice too).

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope I love Christopher Nolan, I think his films are brilliant, amazing visuals and music, good pacing, interesting and powerful characters and epic stories. I think he is ISFP. Memento, Dark Knight series, Inception, Interstellar and Dunkirk are the ones that I've seen, and I found them all impressive. It's weird that you gave the Dark Knight only 4/10 seeing as it is often considered one of the best films of all time, certainly I would consider it so. So what's a 10/10 film for you then?
Honestly, i have to give The Dark Knight another chance. I just can't really get into his movies easily. I didn't like Memento, saw that one a month or two ago. The Dark Knight and Inception are rough for me too. Interstellar was okay, but I didn't like the end. Batman Begins is good, just like Following and The Prestige. And Cephalonimbus nailed it.

Those are my 10/10 movies in comparison. And it's not because almost everyone likes The Dark Knight or thinks it's one of the best movies ever, that i have to think the same of it. ;)

• American Beauty (1999)
  • Bom Yeoreum Gaeul Gyeoul Geurigo Bom (2003)
  • Cidade de Deus (2002)
  • Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
  • Kreuzweg (2014)
  • Mustang (2015)
  • The Neon Demon (2016)
  • Respire (2014)
  • Suspiria (1977)
  • Taxi Driver (1976)

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What didn't you like about it?
That the end isn't really "scientifically", but that it's all about metaphores, like that you don't have to take it seriously or have to ignore the science part of the movie, and also that it's a copy of other movies. It's like Contact (1997) meets 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). It's also kinda bombastic, so yeah. It's not bad. I gave it 6/10 (my average is also 6/10 of all movies i've seen, so Interstellar could have been my median. It's probably slightly above the median but okay).

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
That the end isn't really "scientifically", but that it's all about metaphores, like that you don't have to take it seriously or have to ignore the science part of the movie, and also that it's a copy of other movies. It's like Contact (1997) meets 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). It's also kinda bombastic, so yeah. It's not bad. I gave it 6/10 (my average is also 6/10 of all movies i've seen, so Interstellar could have been my median. It's probably slightly above the median but okay).
I don't think the end was about metaphores at all. His survival from the Tesseract is the only thing I found unexplainable even within the fictitious part of it, but it didn't damage my experience (and was emotional af).

·
Registered
606 Posts
1. The Dark Knight (2008) - 10/10
2. Dunkirk - 9/10
3. Inception - 8/10
4. Batman Begins (2005) - 8/10
5. Interstellar (2014) - 8/10
6. The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10
7. Insomnia (2002) - 7/10
8. Memento (2000) - 6/10 I didn't quite figure it out even when I watched the Canadian version with the scenes forwards, but that might be my fault.
9. The Prestige (2006) - 4/10 I found it a nasty experience and didn't want to watch it again. :tongue:
N/A. Following (1998) - Haven't seen yet.

I try to watch whatever he releases now that he gets good budgets for his movies. They are generally thought provoking and worth re-watching.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I like the movies you mentioned except for interstellar. I didn't watch the last one.

Of all in your list, i liked the prestige the most, and then the dark knight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actually think his brother Jonathan Nolan, the creator of the critically acclaimed TV series Person of Interest, is the one you should really be looking at. They both seem to have this thing for dark, cerebral and brooding under-and overtones. But I think Jonathan really created something special in that TV show.

Person of Interest sets itself apart not just because of the skillful writing, but because of the unique dynamic it has. A dynamic provided by the show's artificial intelligence nicknamed "the Machine". The public is completely unaware of its existence and the fact that they are indeed being watched 24/7.

Essentially the TV show is centered around a group of individuals who are aware of the Machine's existence and they are working to use its powers of surveillance to save human lives before they are lost (the Machine with its superintelligence is able to predict ahead of time if a human life is in danger of being murdered at the hands of another individual). Needless to say, some other people also find out about the Machine and feel as if this Big Brother-esque AI needs to be in human control, so as to persecute potential terrorists and anyone who disagrees with whoever is in control of this mass surveillance program.

Slowly, the TV show went from being this "solve the case" type of crime show until Nolan started exploring more and more of the philosophical and ethical questions posed by the existence of this Big Brother type of entity. Government surveillance, the use of violence to achieve a moral goal, what it means to be and have freedom in the modern world, the value of idealism, the value of human lives, the value of the greater good, what you would be willing to do for the greater good etc. etc.

In the end, the show is this window into a future timeline. A seamlessly real and scary window into a future where big governments build supercomputers in order to keep a watchful eye on its citizens. The depth with which the show goes to explore this dystopia is something I feel Christopher Nolan has yet to do so completely. Not in the way his brother has.

Man, this took a long time to write out haha

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update

1. Interstellar (2014) - 9/10
2. Dunkirk (2017) - 7/10
3. The Dark Knight (2008) - 7/10
4. Following (1998) - 7/10
5. The Prestige (2006) - 7/10
6. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 6/10