Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Nolan is probably my favorite director, as I haven't watched one film by him that din't leave me in awe. The themes and the way he makes his films just clicks with me, for some reason.

On his type, INTJ seems to be the consensus, but I am looking for other people's opinions on the matter. I have seen INTP being suggested, too, but I fail to see Ne on his works (I would gladly be proven wrong).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can’t guarantee any real insight but I do think the INTJ type sounds right. It’s a bit stupid but I am building part of this on his movies. While I am not the biggest fan of his films he deserves the accolades he has received. His movies have a detached quality to them at least emotionally and he has a focus on symbols. For example with the dark knight trilogy the symbol of what batman means is a a core theme, with inception dreams and reality.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t guarantee any real insight but I do think the INTJ type sounds right. It’s a bit stupid but I am building part of this on his movies. While I am not the biggest fan of his films he deserves the accolades he has received. His movies have a detached quality to them at least emotionally and he has a focus on symbols. For example with the dark knight trilogy the symbol of what batman means is a a core theme, with inception dreams and reality.
Can I ask why you aren't too fond of his films? It is fine to not like them, but I am curious if being an INTJ myself plays any role in my appreciation for his films. Probably not, but still, curious as to why the films don't appeal much to you, an ENFP.

You make a good point about symbolism. In Interstellar, there love as symbolism (a certain character even tries to explain love with a more scientific approach) but also the power of humanity.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I think the consensus for him is that he's INTP.
INTJ is a possibility but INTP seems much more likely based on his directorial style and movies which base solely on his concepts. (like Inception or Dunkirk).

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the consensus for him is that he's INTP.
INTJ is a possibility but INTP seems much more likely based on his directorial style and movies which base solely on his concepts. (like Inception or Dunkirk).
The consensus where? A quick google search with the term "Christopher Nolan MBTI" leads to quite a few results showing INTJ as his type.

https://mbtifiction.com/2015/12/03/christopher-nolan-2/

https://www.typologycentral.com/for...-entj-intj-/33074-christopher-nolan-intj.html

http://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/81331-christopher-nolan.html

https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality (scroll down the page or ctrl + F "Nolan")

A few examples.

Of course, not everyone agrees on INTJ and I am not convinced myself, which is why I made this thread. It is just puzzling to see someone say the consensus is INTP, while providing no links, evidence or even arguments supporting it. I, for one, fail to see Ne in his films, but as always I am open to being proven wrong.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

The consensus where? A quick google search with the term "Christopher Nolan MBTI" leads to quite a few results showing INTJ as his type.

https://mbtifiction.com/2015/12/03/christopher-nolan-2/

https://www.typologycentral.com/for...-entj-intj-/33074-christopher-nolan-intj.html

http://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/81331-christopher-nolan.html

https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality (scroll down the page or ctrl + F "Nolan")

A few examples.

Of course, not everyone agrees on INTJ and I am not convinced myself, which is why I made this thread. It is just puzzling to see someone say the consensus is INTP, while providing no links, evidence or even arguments supporting it. I, for one, fail to see Ne in his films, but as always I am open to being proven wrong.
Maybe you should've searched the PC forum instead.

http://personalitycafe.com/guess-type/978362-film-directors-mbti.html

http://personalitycafe.com/guess-type/98513-type-your-my-favorite-film-directors.html

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
But back to the topic of the thread, INTJ is the only one that I can see right away.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Can I ask why you aren't too fond of his films? It is fine to not like them, but I am curious if being an INTJ myself plays any role in my appreciation for his films. Probably not, but still, curious as to why the films don't appeal much to you, an ENFP.

You make a good point about symbolism. In Interstellar, there love as symbolism (a certain character even tries to explain love with a more scientific approach) but also the power of humanity.
My main issue has to do with I find the films emotionally flat. There always seems to be a barrier to what the characters are feeling. My favourite movie of his is the prestige, can watch that film any day.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I think he's an INTJ. He's often got a unique vision for a project and lots of individual symbolism / parallels.

His work is hit or miss for me; I think his Batman films are incredible, but I did not like The Prestige for feeler reasons -- it felt cruel to me, and twisted me in all the wrong ways. I really disliked Man of Steel. It felt... cold, detached, and not like Superman at all.

So yeah, I'd say that detachment lends itself to a TeFi filmmaker.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I find interesting that two ENFPs aren't too fond of his films. Not that it means much in the great scheme of things, but it is interesting nonetheless. The detachment is definitely a part of his films. It is not that emotions, feelings and concepts such as love and hope aren't present in his films, but the way these are presented is definitely cold and impersonal if compared to the works of many other creators.

I haven't watched The Prestige yet, but now I am definitely curious as to why @angelcat considers it cruel. I wonder if it is cruel as in... Game of Thrones kind of cruel.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
He's an obvious INTJ. I mean it's kinda obvious. The person who opened this thread is an INTJ, and the people who don't like him are ENFPs. So yeah, he's an INTJ.
And he's cold and detached. Just like an INTJ.
So yeah, obvious.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I think he's INTJ. I don't think I need to comment on the amount of effort (and time) he spends making sure his movies are highlighting a constant message/philosophy/ideal, which he uses symbolism to get across more often than not and when it's not, he'll just have a character outright say what he's trying to get across:
Ra's - 'Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share'
Bruce - 'That's why it's so important. It separates us from them'

People say his movies are complex but honestly I don't think that has to do with the ideas he tackles. Very often his films are thematically consistent (once you know the message he's trying to get across, go back and watch the movie and you can see how almost every scene is tailored towards getting it across). The only thing that seems complex is the actual structuring of the movie (basically the way he directs it, as Nolan has a way of confusing the hell out of people through dialogue, lighting, actual positioning of scenes, memories etc.).

On a material level, his movies aren't very adventurous. I'd say that speaks to some lower Se. He uses the same actors most of the time. The same aesthetic. The same writers. The same directing style. The same tone. Or if not the same, similar elements.

It's why his movies are pretty distinctive. You don't have to have the opening credits to be able to tell it's a Nolan movie.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I haven't watched The Prestige yet, but now I am definitely curious as to why @angelcat considers it cruel. I wonder if it is cruel as in... Game of Thrones kind of cruel. [/FONT]
Without being specific or spoilery, it's about the lengths someone will go to to defeat their adversary and succeed at any cost, which includes a massive amount of self-harm in the process.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
On a material level, his movies aren't very adventurous. I'd say that speaks to some lower Se. He uses the same actors most of the time. The same aesthetic. The same writers. The same directing style. The same tone. Or if not the same, similar elements.
It actually speaks of Si not Se. Relying on the old and familiar instead of new.
His general themes (dreams, memories, reliving the past, different points of view, playing with the concept of gravity and time and the effect it has on men) is also more a Ne-Si territory.
Symbols alone and the use of them don't make anyone Ni. Just saying.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Without being specific or spoilery, it's about the lengths someone will go to to defeat their adversary and succeed at any cost, which includes a massive amount of self-harm in the process.
I shall give it a watch.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
It actually speaks of Si not Se. Relying on the old and familiar instead of new.
Even if I grant you that that is what Si is (which it isn't), that's not what I am referring to. When I say he isn't adventurous on a material level, I don't mean it's because he's comfortable with doing what he always does. I mean that he doesn't like to explore the styles and fashions that are popular with directors these days, for the sake of it. He devalues the material. For him, special effects, cinematography, editing etc. all come second to the bigger picture of the story. He doesn't look for a 'draw factor' when casting his roles. He doesn't look to make the tone more tailored to a specific audience. Doesn't try to re-shoot, re-edit or play with scenes after the fact. To whatever extent he does add variation in the techniques or styles he adopts (he is capable of it) it's to the benefit of the story and the story alone. If it doesn't work to immerse the audience further, or better tell the story, he sees it as useless.

His general themes (dreams, memories, reliving the past, different points of view, playing with the concept of gravity and time and the effect it has on men) is also more a Ne-Si territory.
That's completely made up.

Symbols alone and the use of them don't make anyone Ni. Just saying.
As an aside, I (personally) find more people complaining about people arguing that symbolism is exclusively Ni, then I find people actually arguing that symbolism is exclusively Ni.

No-one's made that argument here. No need to preemptively debunk an argument that hasn't been made and is patently absurd.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Doesn't try to re-shoot, re-edit or play with scenes after the fact. To whatever extent he does add variation in the techniques or styles he adopts (he is capable of it) it's to the benefit of the story and the story alone. If it doesn't work to immerse the audience further, or better tell the story, he sees it as useless.
And what does it have to do with Se?
Also he's the king of editing, so I'm not sure about what you say.

That's completely made up.
What is made up?

The only thing that seems complex is the actual structuring of the movie (basically the way he directs it
Exactly. His movies have an internal logic to them. Te directors aim for effective storytelling - Cameron is a great example. His movies are simple yet effective - which is the opposite of what Nolan does.
Nolan structures the hell out of his movies and makes them convoluted.

As an aside, I (personally) find more people complaining about people arguing that symbolism is exclusively Ni, then I find people actually arguing that symbolism is exclusively Ni.

No-one's made that argument here. No need to preemptively debunk an argument that hasn't been made and is patently absurd.
I'm glad you think so but then what's the Ni about his movies? Trying to get across a message? Now THAT's completely made up.
Especially that he doesn't exclusively write his movies. Most are co-written by his brother Jonathan and in Interstellar's case a whole lot of people were involved for years.
So chances are he doesn't have a single message to get across, but has several messages from many people working on the movies.

He doesn't look for a 'draw factor' when casting his roles.
That's also not true by the way. How can you say that when he has an all-star cast in most of his movies? Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception, Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar, Christan Bale in Batman. Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Morgan Freeman, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine are also big names.
But again, I don't know what it has to do with either Se or Si.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
And what does it have to do with Se?
Also he's the king of editing, so I'm not sure about what you say.
Se as a function deals with perceiving the external environment, through the senses. Sights, fashions, behaviours and many other external stimuli are appreciated by the Se user (to varying degrees depending on where it is in the stack and the users relationship with it). An upper Se user would gain great pleasure from novel experiences, physical beauty, pleasant smells etc.
So an upper Se user (in the context of directing a movie) is more likely to engage in these activities, as it's a way of experiencing and experimenting with the different ways one can make a movie more superficially (the literal definition, not the one with negative connotations) pleasing. Se is focused on the senses, the real world.

By reshoot and re-edit I mean the habit directors have of reshooting and altering scenes so that they can add certain elements (a voice over, change the dialogue, re-position the actors, things of that nature) for an intended effect that wasn't captured in the actual shooting. That's a rather Se thing to do.

Also, he's not the 'king of editing'.

Directors usually do this sort of thing to play with the scene and change the way it comes across to the audience (if they want to shift the tone, or perhaps make some scenes have more impact). Nolan doesn't like doing this (I think he's outright stated he doesn't do reshoots, though I can't remember the interview) and any post-shooting changes he makes to his scenes involve cutting away dialogue, or making the scene more direct and easier for the audience to understand. He said that if he can explain in one line of dialogue, he doesn't want to use three (or something to that effect, I'm paraphrasing).

What is made up?
1) The idea that his "general themes" are as you described is odd.
2) The idea that the themes you listed are "Ne-Si territory" is (I repeat) completely made up.

Exactly. His movies have an internal logic to them. Te directors aim for effective storytelling - Cameron is a great example. Which is the opposite of what Nolan does.
Nolan structures his movies and makes them convoluted.
What? Nolan's movies are renowned/notorious for having at least one line of dialogue (sometimes several) that outright encapsulate the theme of the movie. He himself has claimed he writes the story linearly, even if the movie's structure is not linear. Dialogue is his way of maintaining a constant flow throughout the story, of keeping the narrative smooth. He doesn't "make" his movies convoluted. Whenever they are, it is as a result of his attempt to make the experience more immersive for the audience, so that they get a better sense of a character's point of view (as I said before, in the way the scenes are actually put together, a lot of the time non-chronologically). And even then, he still uses dialogue above all else (words, common language, generalisations) to spell out what exactly he's trying to get across.

There's no "internal" logic to what he tries to convey in his movies. You don't have to be able to adapt to his logic to see where he's coming from. He outright tells you.

I'm glad you think so but then what's the Ni about his movies? Trying to get across a message? Now THAT's completely made up.
Kindly direct me to where I said that please.

I said that he puts a lot of time and effort into making sure his movies are getting across one message/theme. His usual way of doing this is through symbolism, but when not (as I said above) he just has a character tell you.

What's specifically Ni about this is the questions he asks and intent behind them. His movies are often preoccupied with questions of human nature. If you want to know what the "general themes" of his movies are, that's it: Human nature. He asks questions about evil and corruptibility in humans (the Dark Knight Trilogy), obsession and excess (the Prestige), duality (Insomnia), revenge (Memento), what it means to be human itself (Interstellar) etc. And his movies serve as a way of getting the audience to think deeper about these questions, of being more discerning (it's why he makes such an effort to make his movies immersive). It's not about constructing an internal logic, or developing a system at all. It's about broadening horizons (for Nolan at least). He doesn't give you the answers to the questions his movies ask. He doesn't direct you to an answer either. He just compels you to think about it. What @angelcat said about the Prestige ("it felt cruel to me, and twisted me in all the wrong ways") was brilliant. That's the message he tries to get across. That human nature is more complex than we realise and by giving us an immersive movie experience, he's attempting to get us to see that (whether we like the movie or not). Remember that though introverted, Ti is still a judging function. The motive behind Nolan's movie-making, is anything but.

Especially that he doesn't exclusively write his movies. Most are co-written by his brother Jonathan and in Interstellar's case a whole lot of people were involved for years.
So chances are he doesn't have a single message to get across, but has several messages from many people working on the movies.
As I said, his movies are thematically consistent. Either they do a damn good job of hiding these multiple messages or they all agree unilaterally with Nolan so as to make their messages indistinguishable from one another.

But enough of what's Ne and Ni.
His structuring is 100% internal. So if he's Ni, then he must be an INFJ.
Which is extremely unlikely given his general detachment and coldness.
Disagree. And I've explained why in this post.

That's also not true by the way. How can you say that when he has an all-star cast in most of his movies? Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception, Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar, Christan Bale in Batman. Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Morgan Freeman, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine are also big names.
But again, I don't know what it has to do with either Se or Si.
Having an all-star cast =/= looking for a draw factor when casting.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts