Personality Cafe banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
The narcissism that would have to be involved to mistype one's self for such reasons in beyond my comprehension. I suppose it must happen at times if the idea is out there to suspect someone of doing so — obviously people think about the possibility.

The only friends whose type I have asked about or been informed of have been ISJs. None of them have N-envy. One friend asked about MBTI on a mother's forum and got a notably high proportion of INFJ responses which seemed suspect. And her mother and husband both first typed as INFJs which neither of them are. None of these people were invested in the theory, though. They just completed an online test which spat out an INFJ result they accepted without question, so I am more suspect of the tests than of people's motives. Self perception could also be way off even without narcissism.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
What the FUCK, dude? You never question someone's personality type. You should know this by now. The person is always right about their type. :rolleyes:
Well you shouldn't question someone's type to their face (unless they ask for your advice), but you can't help what you think on the inside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had friends and family take the test and have noticed MANY people getting misstyped as INFJs or 'N' types in particular. One friend, upon further discussion, clearly related more to ISFJ...another friend, clearly related more to INTJ. The online tests are HORRIBLE for determining ones type. I think it's just better to talk to someone who has a good understanding of the cognitive functions and how they all play out in day-to-day life. I have some friends who are convinced they are N types who are clearly SJ types...I just keep my mouth shut, but sometimes it's hard :)

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
It's funny: now that you mention it, every person I know who's ever casually dipped their toes into MBTI (thinking old colleagues, friends, classmates, etc.) has 1) always typed N and 2) majority typed INFP or INFJ. That's about 20-25 people.

Never even thought about it before this.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Just wanted to say that, yes we can change our thinking and how we see the world.

Yeah sure you can change how you see the world, but the change has to be organic, genuine, and its a process over time. You can't just automatically change something you think in a one given situation, like you would alter a computer program or something. You could know that certain outward statements are right and others are wrong, but you cant change the initial reactive thought pattern you have in a situation.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts