Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I've been posting on here for about a month now and some of the things I have read about INFP's from other posters make me question if I am an INFP. There seems to be this consensus that INFP's can appear cold and aren't very in tune with others feelings in nature. There seems to be a lot of backlash against the stereotypes and that is the very thing that led me to the belief that I was an INFP. I feel things very deeply to my very core and it defines the way I feel about the world. Sometimes I feel so much that it makes me feel like I have to shut down because I experienced such intense feelings threw out the day.

The stereotypes are also something that are making me concerned about my type. A lot of posters say that they don't mean anything but they were the very thing that made me believe I was INFP in the first place. Those portraits/profiles of the INFP resonated very deeply within me and I feel that they describe me from the outside as a person. Pretty much 60-80% of it at least. But a lot of posters here seem to disregard them so that makes me thing I may not be INFP and a lot of posters seem to say that the INFP profile better shows an ISFJ rather then an INFP. I guess I am wondering if I share the same cognitive functions as an INFP because I feel kinship with the stereotypes but others are saying that is wrong.

I also am a very warm person around people and I have seen a lot of posters saying that more of a Fe thing then a Fi thing. A lot of times when I see a person describing Fe I feel that way about Fi so that makes me think I am not understanding the functions properly. I understand people threw my emotions and I am able to empathize because I can put myself in their situation. I feel that Empathy is one of my strongest qualities. I think my functions may be messed up. There also seems to be a belief that Fi users don't know how to express themselves and that is something that just isn't true for me. If it is one thing I know it's how I feel about my feelings and emotions. I can always express how I feel about something to someone. So I don't think that is true for me either. My feelings are the one thing I know if nothing else.

Lastly I frequently type as an ENFJ and ENFP threw tests and I can also be very disciplined individual (J). I love being around people but I frequently become bored around them since I get tired of mirroring them and catering to their forums of conversation and that makes me feel tired because I am not being stimulated or catapulted into action. I just start to feel awkward and misplaced because I don't feel in sync with anyone.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Understanding. I want to understand things, I want to understand my world. I want to know everything about myself fully so that I can better plan out my life and go after what I want. I guess I yearn the most for self discovery and self understanding. Because if I know myself then I know the best way to go about getting what I want and then I can be happy. Then I can do the best to impact the world in a better way. I also wish for a relationship, one where I can completely immerse myself in another person and where they can completely immerse themselves in me. I feel like that would be one of the most intense experiences in life. I guess I also want belonging. Depth.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I felt strong because I felt aware. I felt confident because I know what to do. I knew where I was going, I knew what I was doing, I knew what was happening. I felt that I was in the center of a world of events, possibilities, I felt interconnected. I felt that I was apart of something bigger then myself. I felt that I was strong. It was my sophomore year of college and I felt empowered. I felt happy. I felt strong.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Not knowing how to handle a situation. Being made fun of. I usually feel like humor is mean spirited, even in jest you are often making fun of something based on an inadequacy in the person. But it is often just laughed off because it's 'funny'. I see criticisms and they make me feel naked, bare, like someone is chiseling away at me and marking all the imperfections I see. I don't want to be found lacking. I don't want to be thought of poorly.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I tend to think about the best sides of the idea first and foremost. I see the best parts of the idea and then I tend to think about ways the idea could be improved. Usually people factor during the second part of the process but I am first thinking about the best sides of the coin before I bring the hammer down on ways to make it better. It's mostly an idea process then I will think about the ramifications for others and how they will be effected by it.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I usually let people do what they are most comfortable with, then if they fail in that part of the assignment I assert control and revamp it to make it better. I do have control problems sometimes in group settings just because I fear that people may not have the same standards/ideas I do and I want the project to gel seamlessly together to look like we truly worked together to create the project. I am good at synergy and blending things together into a strong collective unit.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I remember just a haze of fun, it was spontaneous, it was bright, it was colorful. The memory seems faded a bit but I remember just feeling a sense of euphoria and movement. I remember feeling content. I usually have the most fun when I am doing child like things. You know swinging on playgrounds, going to amusement parks, just pure, innocent, fun that has been lost. I guess it feels a bit nostalgic.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Clarification. I like to know how something is different from something else and making a comparison so that I can understand the differences and ramifications of something else. The second part comes in how is it being applicable, why is this important, when is this going to be used (in theory)? Why is this way better then another way? What happens if I do this or don't do this? I guess it becomes an all encompassing how to guide and how it's weighted so to speak. I guess I like breaking it down into pieces and shifting it threw my mind to understand how they all function together.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Not very. I need some kind of order but usually I just have a lot of piles, I am not very orderly. My mother calls me messy. But I know where everything is and what I need. It's an organized chaos.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I usually think about it on my own, shift it threw my own way of thinking, my own feelings, my own impressions, my own internal feelings then I see how it can be applied, if it's practical, if it makes sense. If it does then I bring it up in conversation and see how others respond to it, but by that point I am usually pretty set on it because my internal belief of it has been set. I have confidence in it because I have searched myself and found that it has merit or use.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I like being independent. I like being able to deal with things on my own and I tend to think of myself as a loaner in that way. I have my own ideas and ways of thinking. I do wish to belong but not at the price of my individuality, way of thinking and personal qualities that make me the very person that I am. That idea of assimilation terrifies me in a way because I think people can be led astray, I value on knowing what I am outside of the group because the group can be wrong. While I can be right. I don't like being apart of a hive mind.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I love discussion based groups because I think it's important to hear lot of ideas. However I value the depth that one on one conversations provide when I met someone new. I generally think before I speak and formulate my thoughts in order before expressing myself.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I do think actions mean more then words. I usually will think about something in passing sporadically before I commit myself to action. It's not an extensive ruminating process probably just three or so five minute checks on what this means and then I make my choice after I have assembled knowledge about the situation. When I do act I act quickly because I fear things may change and that my throw my decision out of whack.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I will likely go with my friend, I imagine I haven't seen them for awhile so I jump at the chance to go out and see them/interact with them. I like movement and doing things. I will probably DVR my show. I can watch it later. Unless I am completely drained then I will try to reschedule.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I feel like the world is closing in on me. I feel like the choices I have made weren't the right ones and I feel stuck. Like I can't move. Like I am in front of a highway with all of these cars (obstacles) launching at me and I can't get out of the way of them. I tend to try to hide out until the feeling passes. Maybe go out to out run the anxiety. Go to sleep to escape the feeling. Try to focus myself in other ways. I try not to think about it. Avoidance. After this process I tend to face my problem head on and just deal with it in the best way I can and look on the positive side.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Closed mindedness, intolerance, cruelty, maliciousness, not being kind or showing no courtesy to other people, people who set out to bring negativity to other people. I can't stand a person who hurts other people and makes them feel badly about themselves. If I have a bad day I tend to just enclose myself in solitude because I don't want that effecting another person. I know what it feels like to feel poorly, be angry or be sad and I don't want someone feeling that way because of me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

So many things. Politics, religion, history, race, sexuality, society, humanity, etc. I love hearing opinions on larger things that effect us all in some way.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

I'm not the most practical person in the world. I can forget my bank balance. I can forget about papers or assignments as well as appointments if I don't set reminders for them. I can forget to do things for other family members if they don't push me to remember them like dates, events, calling people, etc. I can sometimes forget my books, bad, binders, etc.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

One of my closest friends felt that I was judging her and another one felt that I was mysterious, they said that at times I had a kind of wall or shield and that I was "mean". I would say I am not very guarded, nor do I genuinely judge people. I tend to be an open book if anyone wants to know something I will share it with them because it's an opportunity for greater intimacy. If they don't ask I assume they don't want to know. I also don't think I judge people but my friend said that she didn't want to dance in front of me because she thought I would judge her and think poorly of her for it. I felt bad afterwards because she was one of my closest friends. I generally think I am a pretty warm person, who thinks highly of people.

My friend who felt I was judging her didn't think I was very outgoing or impulsive, she thought I was very analytically and sometimes belligerent with my points in discussions with her.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I would probably go out and explore the city, maybe meet some friends. Do something I haven't done before, go out to my favorite place to eat, go hang out in a park, do something fun. Get outside. Maybe go see a movie. Go to a museum. Experience something.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree that you're probably not an INFP. I'm thinking you're some sort of xNFJ. You seem to use Ni quite a bit. If I had to guess one of the two it would be INFJ because I saw more to suggest inferior Se as opposed to inferior Ti, your answers to questions 4 and especially 15 being good examples.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Well, you're definitely a Feeling type. Probably Feeling dominant (or close to it). Pretty much your whole post is Feeling this, and Feeling that (whether or not you realize it or not).

If I had to put some money I'd say you might be a Fi-dom simply because your Inferiority complex seems to be around achievement, not living up to potential, etc (inferior Te). But its hard to say, because in truth this could also be Fe too.

The thing is I get a lot of Feeling from you, but not really a lot of intuition at all. It all seems very in the moment (almost to the point where I suspected inferior intuition at one point). My advice is to really hone in, not on your strengths, those are apparent, but on the areas in which you feel really compromised and how you become when you get really stressed out. Inferior Extraverted Thinking has a very notable character in Fi-doms (they can turn into a caricature of ESTJs) if they are self-aware enough to recognize what they're like.

In my experience Fi-doms are not necessarily all that warm of people. Part of it is because they really lack the need to be outwardly expressive as their evaluation function is inward, to them "how I feel is none of your business." A lot of times you see more the Inferior Te more than their Fi. (For instance I had a teacher who I believed to be ISFP who, when a student would ask for an exception, would think about it and then say, "no because I don't want to deal with having to do this for everyone." That's a very Te-ish answer, but note how the connotation is negative -- this will turn out bad. That's a sign of the inferior function. A Te-dom may've seen it as inefficient or referred to the syllabus or something rather than to go on about how this always turns out bad for her).

The defining characteristic of Feeling types is often not their Feeling which is usually used very transparently but often their Thinking. It's not that they are unintelligent or can't think, quite the contrary (Sigmund Freud was an INFP -- hows that for stereotypes), but what happens is the process of thinking itself may stress them out. They might just say "I can't be bothered to think about this right now," or be dismissive of their thinking ability, maybe in a passive aggressive or joking way like "i'll let the nerds figure that one out," or something like that. The key here is that their hero is not Thinking in the same way a Thinking dominant would jump at a conceptual problem, Feeling types tend to be somewhat wary of them. They're masterful with evaluation, however. But in extreme cases one might be forced to wonder of a Feeling type, does this person have a brain at all? Does he or she think? (I think overall women bear the brunt of this more than men, one because women are sort of bestowed upon as the caretakers of all things Feeling in society and two, because men, even dumb men, rarely have their thinking challenged outwardly).

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I think you are an infp. Fi is not cold; it comes OFF as cold. You yourself here said your friend felt you were "mean", "guarded", or "judging her". This is not your perception of yourself- inside, we know we are deeply able to relate to othres because we can put ourselves in their position.

Nothing you posted made me think you were NOT an infp, that's for sure.

However, it will depend on the infp and many factors. It is possibly you are an infj.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are an infp. Fi is not cold; it comes OFF as cold. You yourself here said your friend felt you were "mean", "guarded", or "judging her". This is not your perception of yourself- inside, we know we are deeply able to relate to othres because we can put ourselves in their position.
That's pretty much what I have been holding onto, but I had some minor concerns as well about the functions, I guess I would feel better if I could see examples of how an INFP would react and gauge them on how I would react or at least think cognitively. I personally think my NF letters are the strongest things about myself, it's the E/I and P/J that worries me in addition to my wondering if I am using Fi or Fe, because I think my Fi can look a lot like Fe at times and a good portion of the time it is genuine other times I'm bored. lol.

Nothing you posted made me think you were NOT an infp, that's for sure.
I can't tell you how scared I was when I thought I might not be INFP. It terrified me and it still does scare me, but I need to know the truth. I built so much about myself on these four letters and it's kind of scary to find out that this may not be me at all. :'(

My advice is to really hone in, not on your strengths, those are apparent, but on the areas in which you feel really compromised and how you become when you get really stressed out. Inferior Extraverted Thinking has a very notable character in Fi-doms (they can turn into a caricature of ESTJs) if they are self-aware enough to recognize what they're like.
Could you elaborate a bit on what you want? I am going to try to answer on my own but I think I may need a little more direction to specify what you want me to explain to you.

I guess a time when I really felt compromised would have been when there was a rumor spread about me that I had raped someone. That was probably the most horrific experiences I have ever gone threw. I remember the day vividly. I talked to my friend who had heard about it and I told him that nothing had happened with the girl. That night I had to speak to my Frat Brother about it (I was going threw initiation) and I had to tell him that nothing happened and that I didn't understand why people were saying those rumors about me. He told me that he knew it wasn't true and that he talked to the girl and the President of my initiate class. I kept it together threw the entire interview, I was very steady, formal, I expressed to him that I did nothing wrong and that those other guys who spread the rumor were jealous, etc. Then when I was walking home I broke down and cried. I was visibly shaking because I couldn't believe people could think those horrible things about me. I couldn't believe that someone imagined that I could be cruel enough to physical hurt and violate someone in such a way. I felt torn from the inside out and I couldn't even get the words out of my mouth when I called my mother because I was so shook up. I kept it together until I was walking home and just broke down and convulsed into fits. I needed her to tell me that I wasn't like that, that they were wrong and that I could never hurt another person like they said I did. I'm shaking now just remembering it.

That would probably be the definition I could give you to how I act under stress. I dealt with the situation with a hard exterior and then I completely crashed when it was over.

In my experience Fi-doms are not necessarily all that warm of people. Part of it is because they really lack the need to be outwardly expressive as their evaluation function is inward, to them "how I feel is none of your business."
Okay. I can get this. I am not overly expressive usually. I become overly expressive when I want to communicate. I will make jokes, face pull, nod, interject with quick jokes, goad them on when I want to be social because I view that as positive reinforcement for them. If I am not interested I guess I can appear closed off. But when I want to actively engage I do tend to think of myself as a warm person who is concerned about their thoughts and ideas. I like knowing more about a person.

A lot of times you see more the Inferior Te more than their Fi. (For instance I had a teacher who I believed to be ISFP who, when a student would ask for an exception, would think about it and then say, "no because I don't want to deal with having to do this for everyone." That's a very Te-ish answer, but note how the connotation is negative -- this will turn out bad. That's a sign of the inferior function. A Te-dom may've seen it as inefficient or referred to the syllabus or something rather than to go on about how this always turns out bad for her).
I can focus on negatives at times. But most of that is just done because I don't want other people to have to go threw the possible pitfalls. Mostly I tend to view things as a way to make things better and more efficient for others. For instance if I see that there is a spill I will tell someone about it because I don't want someone's day to be ruined by getting hurt. I brought some extra cough drops to my friends house because he told me he had a sore throat, I left him on his night stand. I didn't tell him it was me but he later found out and thanked me. But I didn't want him to know it was me, I just wanted him to feel better, etc. I guess I can see myself doing what your teacher did at times, but usually I find it comes out of some internal process where I want others to feel better or gain something from it. It's not to be picky, bitchy, mean or overly critical. It's just to make things better for everyone involved.

but what happens is the process of thinking itself may stress them out. They might just say "I can't be bothered to think about this right now," or be dismissive of their thinking ability, maybe in a passive aggressive or joking way like "i'll let the nerds figure that one out," or something like that. The key here is that their hero is not Thinking in the same way a Thinking dominant would jump at a conceptual problem, Feeling types tend to be somewhat wary of them.
This reminds me a bit of myself. I tend to become exhausted if I have to use a lot of thinking to keep up with a problem and it just wipes me out because it takes so much effort. I will usually end up stopping at some point for a break and going off to my happy place for a bit and doing things I like. I know I have to get it done but it just burnt me out to think threw this problem for like 20-30 minutes. I tend to retreat and do things I like that are fun. Go on the web, imagine doing something more fun, go off in my head for a bit to recharge, talk to friends, text family, etc.

As to if I think at all sometimes my parents say that I don't think everything threw and that I don't seem to evaluate things enough. They say I just look at the positive sides to things and then ignore the flaws. My Dad says he always has to be the bad guy and that I don't think threw the practical things.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I'm thinking Extraverted Feeling type. ESFJ or ENFJ maybe. INFP is sort of still out there but the thing about you needing your mom to tell you that you were okay and the way in which you reacted to something that was said about you, seem to indicate an Extraverted Feeling preference (effectively much of your sense of self is built around your associations and their opinions of you). You make lots of references to other people, like your frat brother helping you out, and so forth. Your post is very "I had this happen so me and so-and-so did this, and then this other time x happened so I had to get together with so-and-so." You see how you are seemingly looking externally.

Obviously no one wants to be accused of what you were being accused of that is a horrible thing, but its absolutely abysmal for the Fe-type because their entire sensibility and self-image is often built around their relationships and social standing and so forth. Now a Fi-type would most certainly also react to such a accusation but in a very different way I would think. Much less of the appeal to other people to help you through it. Like I said Fi is often "how I feel, or what I'm going through is none of your business." The processing is internal. With Fe its external. The Fe-type is the one who, when something happens has to share it...with someone. Because it is through that process, that shared evaluation that the Feeling type can make sense of what is going on (because remember Feeling types repress thinking, so to the Fe-dom 'I don't know what I think, but maybe if we can all find consensus we can make sense of this mess.')

Either way you are unquestionably a Feeling dominant. I would rule out INFJ personally. You don't come off as the seer, know-it-all Introverted Intuitive type or the ability-to-sniff-the changing winds Extraverted Intuition type. Your posts are just all Feeling. Even your last paragraph "dad says he has to be the bad guy." You're effectively telling us what other people say about you and then using that to let us form our own judgment (not to mention assuming, by telling us all these things you've been through we'll be able to empathize or see where you're coming from...again also Fe - anytime you assume people know where you're coming from that is generally an indicator of a strong function preference). Again this seems very Fe (appeal to an external standard) a Fi-type might very well downplay their parents' opinions and say something like "my parents say this, but they don't know me, or they're wrong."

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. They've been helpful.

I'm thinking Extraverted Feeling type. ESFJ or ENFJ maybe. INFP is sort of still out there but the thing about you needing your mom to tell you that you were okay and the way in which you reacted to something that was said about you, seem to indicate an Extraverted Feeling preference (effectively much of your sense of self is built around your associations and their opinions of you).
My first response to this is to chafe and say no - I am different! lol. But when I think of it I tend to see it more as validation persay. I know that I am not a rapist and could never do what that accused me of. But at the same time it felt good to know that someone who has known me my entire life, knew that as well because it felt like everyone was ganging up on me. Does Fi at any point need to feel validation from others? Even in extreme situations? I don't think that I am necessarily ruled by others feelings, I am in tune to them but I feel that they are separate from me and the only way I feel threw them is threw myself and my own feelings. I insert myself into their position and imagine how I would feel in their condition. It's not really about them.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that the INFP value system is one of the things I valued the most and felt was the most like me. So I am having a hard time letting that Fi go because it's the strongest thing I resonated with from my possibly former type. My internal value system isn't really changed by other people and that's why I felt I was INFP. I don't need consensus on it to validate it, and I don't need other people to tell me it is right. I just know internally that it is and people can't push me out of that. Is that normal for other Fe types? It seems to me that they value harmony and I do as well but if someone tramples over my Fi then I very much act like the INFP stereotype does when they have tripped a core Fi value. Is that common in other Fe types like the ESFJ and ENFJ?

You make lots of references to other people, like your frat brother helping you out, and so forth. Your post is very "I had this happen so me and so-and-so did this, and then this other time x happened so I had to get together with so-and-so." You see how you are seemingly looking externally.
I was trying to give you the best representation of the story so you could help me. Is that what an Extroverted Feeler usually does? I guess what I am asking is can Fi ever look like Fe?

Much less of the appeal to other people to help you through it.
No one really helped me threw it. It was more of less just a process of me explaining myself to others constantly. I had to report to my Big Brother about what happened and then I had to report to the Initiate Adviser. It wasn't a group thing, I was pretty much alone until I broke down. I can see what you are talking about with seeking my Mom out though.

You're effectively telling us what other people say about you and then using that to let us form our own judgment (not to mention assuming, by telling us all these things you've been through we'll be able to empathize or see where you're coming from
I did want there to be a check/balance in how I view myself and how others did. I guess I just wanted to be all encompassing/thorough. I personally don't see myself the way my Dad does. I don't think I am unrealistic at all, I just think I am optimistic and that I think about the best sides of a situation.

Again this seems very Fe (appeal to an external standard) a Fi-type might very well downplay their parents' opinions and say something like "my parents say this, but they don't know me, or they're wrong."
I feel this way too. LOL. I just used the use of the external standard because I thought that may be easier to apply than my own standard to judge. I personally think my internal standards may be a bit too odd, unrealistic, high or difficult for others to follow. I don't really think my father knows the internal me very well at all. He gets the outside version of me, what I show to him but I don't really think he understands the true me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My first response to this is to chafe and say no - I am different! lol. But when I think of it I tend to see it more as validation persay. I know that I am not a rapist and could never do what that accused me of. But at the same time it felt good to know that someone who has known me my entire life, knew that as well because it felt like everyone was ganging up on me. Does Fi at any point need to feel validation from others? Even in extreme situations? I don't think that I am necessarily ruled by others feelings, I am in tune to them but I feel that they are separate from me and the only way I feel threw them is threw myself and my own feelings. I insert myself into their position and imagine how I would feel in their condition. It's not really about them.
As an INFP I can tell you I often want and need validation because I try to understand others, and it's highly frustrating when they don't attempt to understand me and where I'm coming from. Not being listened to or understood is one of my biggest stressors, and it sounds like it's similar for you, with the situations you've talked about. I've noticed that several other INFPs are the same way, so I would say that the fact that you want and need validation does not necessarily indicate that you are not INFP, if that makes sense.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
@Arrow you know with the exception of Intuition, Feeling is probably the most misunderstood function. You'll find a million different definitions. But essentially Feeling is the process of how we evaluate things. Plain and simply. (That also often includes how we evaluate ourselves).

Many times Fi gets caught up stereotypically in all this stuff about "me," and "I don't listen to anyone else," and all sorts of things that may actually have nothing to do with Introverted Feeling. I can't really go into on here as it would take a long time to discuss, but if you are really interested in the subject I would recommend getting a copy of Lectures of Jung's Typology Amazon.com: Lectures on Jung's Typology (Seminar Series) (9780882141046): Von Marie-Louise Franz, James Hillman: Books and in that book is probably the best, most thorough dissemination of the Feeling function there was ever written. Too often people can't divorce themselves from the ideas of Fi or Fe that they learn on the internet (and they don't realize that many of these definitions are already bastardizations or misinterpretations of what Jung was going for when he described the Feeling function). It's sort of like unwrapping people's heads around introvert = shy and extravert = likes people.

So what often happens is you have a lot of people who are typed as, or type themselves as INFPs (or Fi-types in general) who are really Extraverted Feeling types but have gotten the notions all mixed up. They think because they're shy or avoidant that must make them an introvert and because they can't seem to relate to anyone that must make them a Fi-type, but this is hardly what defines the Introverted Feeling type. Essentially the difference is that the Introverted Feeling type evaluates based upon reference to some internal (often archetypal image). In much the same way Introverted Sensation refers to your perception taking precedent over the actual qualities of the object based on whatever you call upon from within (largely unconsciously), Introverted Feeling does the same with evaluations.

This is a tough concept and one that honestly most so-called INFPs yawn at because they're much more interested in fitting the persona of INFP and not really understanding their underlying psychology. This is often a dead giveaway of their true Extraverted Feeling nature, because personas are bestowed or ascribed. They are us often living up to an external ideal like Kiersey's Idealist type. The true Fi-type might be actually somewhat hesitant to be so dogged about adhering to some external definition, possibly suspicious that it might not be deep enough to capture the sum total of who they evaluate themselves to be. Taking an evaluation (of anything) at surface value, is the definition of Extraverted Feeling, not group harmony or getting along, or throwing parties or any of the other stuff that gets associated with Fe. Certainly these things can be manifested of a Fe-type, but its hard to say a Fi-type can never, or would rarely exhibit these behaviors, especially since much of this deals with other complexes and socialization and peer group dynamics and all kinds of other things that modern psychology spends much time researching that are more or less universal.

With functions we're trying to figure out how you think. Not how you act. How you act could be caused by just about anything, and often how we act, if we were really to be honest is rarely a true indication of our true selves. Most of it is impression management. So I'm always a tad bit suspicious of the 'INFPs' (not necessarily you, since you have the presence of mind to get a few more opinions) but the ones that swear because they identified with some internet description of shy artistic type they MUST be INFP. Not realizing that in actuality its their, often still developing, Extraverted Feeling that often makes them shy (obsessing over the opinions of other people, trying not to make waves, unsure of who they are). In comparison real Fi-types almost seem to be the steadfast in the blowing winds, pretty much always themselves regardless of what is going on around them. They might not know how to be any different (think of the ESFP who has great, timely fashion senses when they are young, and then get older and still dress like they are in the 1980s and think they look hot -- this is sort of Fi where the person is only appealing to what's inside as evaluative measure, not the prevailing norms - obviously I'm generalizing, but you can see the obvious almost excessively egocentric individuality of Fi-types like say Mitt Romney, Flava Flav or Lindsey Lohan who are just seemingly always who they are regardless of whatever is going around them or regardless of what people expect of them. The other component is that to the Fe-types who make it their business to let everyone know what they're going through, Fi-types might come off as unemotional, soulless, selfish, having bad tastes, or not having any Feeling at all).

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Arrow Essentially the difference is that the Introverted Feeling type evaluates based upon reference to some internal (often archetypal image). In much the same way Introverted Sensation refers to your perception taking precedent over the actual qualities of the object based on whatever you call upon from within (largely unconsciously), Introverted Feeling does the same with evaluations.
This feels like the heart of who I am, who I try to be. This is what I feel when I say I resonate with the INFP profile because I feel this is who I am. I am a good person not because other people tell me to be one, but because I couldn't live with myself otherwise. It's my own internal standard that comes from within, it's not from anyone else, it's not from what society tells me to be. It's not because of some external reward, it's not because of some end of the life nirvana it's because it's who I am. It's the purest form of me and I want to exemplify that every single day of my life regardless of what anyone else thinks. I would love to be accepted but I am not going to change the person that I am just to make life easier on other people. Sometimes it gets hard but it is who I am. It's me and everyone who doesn't accept or love me unconditionally for who I am doesn't truly love me and will never know or understand me. This is the heart of who I am, I wish I could have said this before because I feel this fits me more then anything else I could have written. Thank you so much for posting this. Would I like to be known for this? Of course. But it would be enough just to be this and exemplify this for myself, at least for me. This is what I want for my own personal standard.

So I'm always a tad bit suspicious of the 'INFPs' (not necessarily you, since you have the presence of mind to get a few more opinions) but the ones that swear because they identified with some internet description of shy artistic type they MUST be INFP.
It wasn't the artistic type that got me so much that it was the internal value system that one will fiercely protect that hooked me because I have never seen that written before my experience with MBTI, and that definition just hit me like a brick because it finally gave voice to something that I felt within me.

Not realizing that in actuality its their, often still developing, Extraverted Feeling that often makes them shy (obsessing over the opinions of other people, trying not to make waves, unsure of who they are). In comparison real Fi-types almost seem to be the steadfast in the blowing winds, pretty much always themselves regardless of what is going on around them. They might not know how to be any different (think of the ESFP who has great, timely fashion senses when they are young, and then get older and still dress like they are in the 1980s and think they look hot -- this is sort of Fi where the person is only appealing to what's inside as evaluative measure, not the prevailing norms - obviously I'm generalizing, but you can see the obvious almost excessively egocentric individuality of Fi-types like say Mitt Romney, Flava Flav or Lindsey Lohan who are just seemingly always who they are regardless of whatever is going around them or regardless of what people expect of them. The other component is that to the Fe-types who make it their business to let everyone know what they're going through, Fi-types might come off as unemotional, soulless, selfish, having bad tastes, or not having any Feeling at all).
I don't obsess over others thoughts about me (that would be too draining for me personally) but I do think that I can be vulnerable and experience low self-confidence at times. I guess that's why I can become susceptible to how people may view me, but it's secondary it's not something that I immediately think about. It probably wouldn't even come to my mind unless I am feeling self conscience. As to the soulless thing - that's just not me. I do feel things, but it comes from me. I don't ever feel led by others threw my feelings usually. Everything comes from within me. That was originally why I felt I was Fi dominant because I could never be changed or altered by others feelings.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
This feels like the heart of who I am, who I try to be. This is what I feel when I say I resonate with the INFP profile because I feel this is who I am. I am a good person not because other people tell me to be one, but because I couldn't live with myself otherwise. It's my own internal standard that comes from within, it's not from anyone else, it's not from what society tells me to be. It's not because of some external reward, it's not because of some end of the life nirvana it's because it's who I am. It's the purest form of me and I want to exemplify that every single day of my life regardless of what anyone else thinks. I would love to be accepted but I am not going to change the person that I am just to make life easier on other people. Sometimes it gets hard but it is who I am. It's me and everyone who doesn't accept or love me unconditionally for who I am doesn't truly love me and will never know or understand me. This is the heart of who I am, I wish I could have said this before because I feel this fits me more then anything else I could have written. Thank you so much for posting this. Would I like to be known for this? Of course. But it would be enough just to be this and exemplify this for myself, at least for me. This is what I want for my own personal standard.

It wasn't the artistic type that got me so much that it was the internal value system that one will fiercely protect that hooked me because I have never seen that written before my experience with MBTI, and that definition just hit me like a brick because it finally gave voice to something that I felt within me.

I don't obsess over others thoughts about me (that would be too draining for me personally) but I do think that I can be vulnerable and experience low self-confidence at times. I guess that's why I can become susceptible to how people may view me, but it's secondary it's not something that I immediately think about. It probably wouldn't even come to my mind unless I am feeling self conscience. As to the soulless thing - that's just not me. I do feel things, but it comes from me. I don't ever feel led by others threw my feelings usually. Everything comes from within me. That was originally why I felt I was Fi dominant because I could never be changed or altered by others feelings.
Not saying Fi-doms are soulless, quite the contrary, I'm just saying they might come off that way. For example Mitt Romney, who I think is an ESTJ (inferior Fi) is often derided as being an 'empty-suit' or a flip-flopper and the like. Most of this comes from Fe-types who wonder if the guy has any values at all. What happens is because his value system is internal it doesn't show up on the outside, where the Fe-type is always trying to share or harmonize their value system (as a way of checking validity and consistency) the Fi-type doesn't do this because the consistency is internal. So the Fe-type is effectively and erroneous concluding that because Romney's values aren't expressed outwardly he must not have any, which of course is completely false (but this underscores why he has so much trouble with evangelical Fe-type Christians who gravitate much more toward uber-Fe people like Tim Tebow or Rick Santorum).

It's the same with INFP and ISFPs or any other Fe-types. On the outside, to other observers, one might often questions what that person's true feelings on a subject are.

Again, if this idea resonates strongly with you perhaps your preference is for Introverted Feeling, but, I caution this function is not nearly as cut and dry as people try to make it out to be. On some level all types have some degree of what might come across as Introverted Feeling (because on some level we all have to rationalize our emotional content and make evaluations). The Feeling function is sort of the exception to the rule because it touches more aspects of the psyche than just the ego. So often people who swear up and down they are one thing or another might turn out to be something completely different once we get underneath the surface. That's why I'd really suggest (since no one on here really knows you as well as you do) you plunge in and do some real research if it is meaningful enough for you to nail it down. It wasn't until I read Hillman that I had the "ah ha!" moment on Feeling and it all began to make sense. Up until then it was just a bunch of misinformation and half-truths and the like.

The other thing you can always do is evaluate your Thinking. If you have a Te-preference, you will have a Fi-preference. That's why I suggested really looking at your inferior function because that often tells us much, much more about who we are than our dominant function. The dominant just tells us how we are egocentric, but the inferior is the precipice upon which the whole of the psyche rests, the division between conscious and unconscious and so often by looking at someone's inferior function we can quickly tell their dominant (for instance Sensation types have unmistakeably poor intuitive skills many times, and Thinking types generally have poorly developed Feeling functions, etc.)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What happens is because his value system is internal it doesn't show up on the outside, where the Fe-type is always trying to share or harmonize their value system (as a way of checking validity and consistency) the Fi-type doesn't do this because the consistency is internal. So the Fe-type is effectively and erroneous concluding that because Romney's values aren't expressed outwardly he must not have any, which of course is completely false (but this underscores why he has so much trouble with evangelical Fe-type Christians who gravitate much more toward uber-Fe people like Tim Tebow or Rick Santorum).
I guess for me I always feel/think that my values are apparent because they are within me. While others may not know they are there because I don't show them unless I want to. But I dislike the idea that I could be seen as soulless just because I don't put an exorbitant amount of effort to show them off to people. Why do I have to constantly express myself to show that I have values? Why are people so judgmental that they immediately think nothing is there at all? That seems ridiculous to me.

I don't want to be seen as cold, but at the same time I can't imagine constantly being expressive all day every day just to fulfill peoples need for constant social cues and their endless needs for validation from others. Don't put that on me. I need to be able to turn it off at some point. What I am getting from our conversation is that Fi doesn't care, Fe cares too much. I care to a point and then I stop. I guess this is kind of the crux of my problem with Fi and Fe, whatever I have seems to have aspects of both to me and it's a bit frustrating/exhausting not knowing which function I have.

It's the same with INFP and ISFPs or any other Fe-types. On the outside, to other observers, one might often questions what that person's true feelings on a subject are.
What I usually get from outsiders is that they don't know what is going on with me. But I would hope that they don't see me as cold because I do engage with people generally. Just not 24/7.

The other thing you can always do is evaluate your Thinking. If you have a Te-preference, you will have a Fi-preference. That's why I suggested really looking at your inferior function because that often tells us much, much more about who we are than our dominant function. The dominant just tells us how we are egocentric, but the inferior is the precipice upon which the whole of the psyche rests, the division between conscious and unconscious and so often by looking at someone's inferior function we can quickly tell their dominant (for instance Sensation types have unmistakeably poor intuitive skills many times, and Thinking types generally have poorly developed Feeling functions, etc.)
How could I look into my thinking functions? I think this may be the best way to find out what type I am since I am having such a hard time with my F preference in regards to both Fi and Fe.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the cognitive functions test and would up with these results:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********** (11.3)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************* (45.1)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.4)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************ (12.2)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************* (25.9)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************************** (54.2)
excellent use

16 Personality Test got INFP result. Also took the Personality Types app from Apple and got the same INFP result. I think I am going to go back to INFP. Thank you for everyone who posted. :)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Honestly, I'm seeing more Fe than Fi into most of what the OP is talking about, much like LiquidLight is getting at. A lot of what the OP seems to be considering Fi might just be the ego complex at play - it says nothing about how the OP rationalizes value judgements. I mean, it's pretty obvious that anyone's values are considered to be "within them," because where else would they be - @Arrow , how can you be sure that what you think are your orignally-derived values weren't just introjected - that is the definition of the psychological term introjection - a defense mechanism built around adopting values that you consider to be "you" - this isn't type related, everyone does this. The F functions are much more technical than they are made out to be by lay people on the internet - they aren't emotions, they are sources of evaluation. There are a lot of reasons that people may not show their values unless they want to - it's about what your natural inclination is, and frankly, your concerns about how you appear to others seem heavily Fe, like your self image is more based around others' evaluations of you than your own - like, you say that you feel that you shouldn't NEED to be expressive all the time around people based on their evaluation, but did it ever occur to you that you might just be over-exaggerating what you think Fe entails? Your use of the word "need" seems to be a giveaway that you really do feel it's necessary to get involved with the evaluations of others of your values, although the reason why isn't clear. I've just never met an Fi type who "needed" to have values reinforced by others no matter what. If they were talking values with someone, it would be on some Fi secret agenda of letting them into their world, although still preserving their ego by not putting the function that their ego holds most dear out on the line too much (so, Fi). I mean, as we're all saying, maybe you're an INFP, maybe you're not, but just based on my experiences with Fi doms, I see enough reason to doubt the possibility, based on the info you have here, and all of the INFP mistypes on the internet.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how can you be sure that what you think are your orignally-derived values weren't just introjected - that is the definition of the psychological term introjection - a defense mechanism built around adopting values that you consider to be "you" - this isn't type related, everyone does this.
Mostly because everything that I think about appeals to a standard that comes from something that I want to be inside. It's not really about anyone elses interpretation of me. When I read about Fe I always hear about how it's about how others respond to them that makes up their sense of selves and what is right or wrong for the group and I have to say that's generally not me. I am not afraid to disturb the peace that everyone else is fine with if I think there is a point that should be made for others. For instance I often take the side of other minorities when my cousins bring up racist comments that go unnoticed. I argue with him about the wrongness of his ideas because equality is important to me even if it is a hardship and he will probably never understand it. I will do it because I feel it needs to be said on behalf of the people he is insulting.

I have had full blown out arguments with my family about what is right and what is wrong and they use this kind of argument that if you have enough people on their side that they are automatically correct about the situation and how one should act and I just know that their conclusions are wrong. I know that it is wrong for them to try and force me and my younger cousins to go to church when they do not believe in a higher power and it bothers me because I feel that they are forcing religion down their throat.

Sometimes it makes me think that I am insane because I feel that I am the only one who sees it but I know that what they are doing is wrong and their logic/reasoning when they are justifying themselves/talking about this stuff makes no sense whatsoever. It takes me a while to express why they are wrong about their conclusions but I know from the beginning that something feels completely wrong within their logic and I can tell that their ideologies are flawed.

If it was unconsciously introjected I imagine that I would have similar values that my parents and my families have and that is just not the case. I can't belabor that point enough. My thought process is completely unlike anyone I have ever met and the way I deal with situations is completely different from what has been given to me and developed by my family and even some of my friends and teachers. You are asking how do I know it comes from within me, my answer is to tell you that I know it because I feel it from the very core of my being and from the very core of my brain that it comes from inside me and not from others. I imagine that if it didn't come from me it would be much easier for outsiders to change my mind but it is generally impossible to get me to change my mind for the most part unless something within me changes.

I guess an example of this would be when my Aunt tries to guilt me into doing things for her like go to church, or when my cousin tries to guilt me into doing things for her because she did x,y and z for me and I refuse to do it, I refuse to give in even though it would be easier for everyone because I feel she is manipulating me or that I am being manipulated and I hate feeling manipulated emotionally. I think it's one of the worst things people can do. When I choose to do things for people it is because I genuinely want to do it, not because they feel it is owed to them. Again it starts from within me and my actions from within transfer outward. But I feel it inside me, the change, the process, the ideation, the feeling all happens inside before I choose to act. It's not something that is happening outside or from external influences because I feel completely independent and autonomous from my external persons who want me to act another way. That's how I know it comes from within.

but did it ever occur to you that you might just be over-exaggerating what you think Fe entails? Your use of the word "need" seems to be a giveaway that you really do feel it's necessary to get involved with the evaluations of others of your values, although the reason why isn't clear.
I'm not really sure what you mean about this. I can tell you that my values stand alone from what I have created them (it feels that way), I know when others aren't meeting them and I know the excuses that are made for not reaching them, even when others think something is acceptable, I never quite feel that exception is valid when it comes to deriding that value or acting as if it's not important or lesser in some way to make themselves feel better.

My purpose of using the word "need" was more or less just a manifestation of my frustration that Fi users are said to be cold or soulless and that stereotype annoys me because I don't see myself that way and I don't like being viewed that way because it's inherently not true. I dislike the idea that I must be extremely outward and responsive all the time to be seen as a warm individual who has values and is seen as warm, genuine, etc. That aspect of it annoys me because it seems to send the impression that Fi users are bad people who don't have warmth or aren't people who have capacity for care. That negative stereotype annoys me because I know it's not true. I know I have capacity for care, I shouldn't have to act like something I am not or something that makes me uncomfortable for others to say that I care. I know I care, don't tell me that I don't, don't tell me that I can't feel because feeling is definitely apart of who I am.

I've just never met an Fi type who "needed" to have values reinforced by others no matter what. If they were talking values with someone, it would be on some Fi secret agenda of letting them into their world
I'm starting to become confused. Could you point out the piece of my text where I said that I needed to have my values reinforced? What I am remembering is that I wanted my mother to tell me that I was not a rapist after being put threw an evaluation of my character by my entire Brotherhood from a rumor that someone spread about me. I personally don't think calling my mother about that makes me less of a Fi individual or not an INFP to be honest. If there is anything that I know about myself it's my value system and my standards of who I want to be and want I want to exemplify to myself. My main problem concerning my typing is the Fi vs. Fe thing because I think my Fi (I'm calling it Fi because that's what it feels like to me) enables me to respond to other people and feel with them in a way. I consider empathy to be one of my greatest attributes, but I attribute that empathy to the depth of my own personal emotions which I then transplant into the other person to imagine what they are feeling. I imagine myself as the other person and it's threw my own experiences that I can feel with them. People say that is Fe, but then I am left wondering where did my values come from? Because it all feels extremely internal and I don't see any of the values I hold dear in my parental figures. They are very much different from myself.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Well, honestly, Fe types can be independent thinkers also. There's nothing that says they can't, other than some dumb stereotypes on the internet. As I've said numerous times on PerC, any person has their own values, plain and simple. The rationalization process of Fe makes one's values their own. If not, this would be the equivalent of saying that Te types "don't think for themselves" which is just dumb. Of course they do - some of the most independent thinkers around tend to be the XNTJ types. That's not it. For all I know, some Fe type might've got their values from a book, or television, or deliberately went against their family to establish their values, etc., etc., etc. It's just that to rationalize their values, the person will appeal to external standards rather than internal ones. The functions are within the control of a person's ego, so they'll comply with what the ego wants and what the ego doesn't want. Thing about Fi is, most of its descriptions suck ass incredibly hard. The best stereotypical example of Fi I can give you would be something like the person who has a "special snowflake" complex and goes around talking about how no one can understand their special, unique feelings, usually using the phrase "My feelings...no one understands the depth of my feelings" 24/7. Yes, not a flattering portrayal, but hey, it might help to see if you can identify with this at all, because I suspect that this is mainly a manifestation of Fi, over Fe any day of the week, since Fi types tend to have more trouble communicating them than Fe types, and tend to have a more subjective resistance to doing so as well.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thing about Fi is, most of its descriptions suck ass incredibly hard. The best stereotypical example of Fi I can give you would be something like the person who has a "special snowflake" complex and goes around talking about how no one can understand their special, unique feelings, usually using the phrase "My feelings...no one understands the depth of my feelings" 24/7. Yes, not a flattering portrayal, but hey, it might help to see if you can identify with this at all, because I suspect that this is mainly a manifestation of Fi, over Fe any day of the week
I definitely think I identify with the underlined. I tell that to my therapist every week. I tell that to my Mother every time I talk to her and I tell that to my father all the time. I tell him that I feel like I am an alien because no one seems to understand me. I always feel like I am different and that no one can really understand the way I feel about things because they don't seem to really get it or see me. That's why I think that I am a Fi-dom, because I always view the ways in which I am separate from someone else and I am incredibly independent in the way I think about things and discerning my differences from others. Yes I can use my emotions to understand others but my process of understanding them is still quite self-centered because I am taking the time and effort to put myself in their position, but I don't really notice their station. I basically become them by making them myself and then feeling something for them.

As to the definitions, yes I am finding that out right now actually. I have been trying to find the distinction and from what I have found in my research is this in it's purest, most simplified form is the difference between Fi and Fe.

Fi - strong opinions about the way you believe things should be that you hardly ever share to others
Fe - strong opinions and ideas that you love expressing outwardly to others

This is the way that I have come to define Fi and Fe. What I have come to realize about myself is that I do have strong opinions that I usually don't share with other people unless I am pushed. Then once I do "reveal" my values, opinions, thoughts or ideas and they don't respond to them I then recede back inward because I feel that I am not understood. I get no recognition for them. It doesn't change the way I feel about things but it makes me less likely to share my thoughts/ideologies because I feel that people don't understand me/don't get what I was trying to tell them. I am very good at picking up things from other people though (I assumed this might be Fe but from my understanding it can be Fi as well). I can play the 'Fe game' (at least as others here seem to phrase it) but I become tired because it's not the real me and I am not getting anything back from the exchange. It's just more or less their views being mirrored back at them and I don't see how I fit into it. I am just mirroring what they are giving to me and it usually feels inauthentic and not genuine and that makes me fastly loose interest. I guess that is what I meant when I said I care for a little bit and then stop and return to my regularly scheduled programming. My Fi can't participate in Fe for long if it feels like it is not being valued or heard. It removes itself from the situation and checks out. I feel that they wouldn't understand me and the way that I think.

since Fi types tend to have more trouble communicating them than Fe types, and tend to have a more subjective resistance to doing so as well.
I wouldn't say I have a hard time communicating my thoughts (that was another stereotype against Fi-doms that made me feel I wasn't one) it's just that I don't believe people will understand them and thus I don't voice them. I still feel them very feircely, it's just that I don't believe people will get it and rather the going threw the process of explaining it and having them not respond to it, I just don't voice it. I guess I can believe that I am more resistant to outwardly expressing my views. I do believe that is the case since I think I am too out in left field for others to really get it. And what is the point of expressing it to them if they won't understand?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hmm..yeah, maybe you're an Fi type...the part about trying to relate everything to you seems rather Fi in nature. I'm not 100% sold though. I mean, there's nothing that dictates that Fi doms have to have trouble fitting in necessarily, but they tend to be pretty...resistent to compromising their values to the benefit of others, anyhow. To get more technical with this, I'll try this question: Are you easily able to predict how something might make you feel, and take appropriate action for or against this? That's sort of a trend in all of the introverted functions - they're good at predicting what they find necessary to eliminate or add to their respective typological perspectives.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you easily able to predict how something might make you feel
My first response was to say no because I think about all the possibilities and extraneous variables that could come up to make up my reaction. I am a person, not a machine - I am not pre-programmed to have certain responses to things. But the more that I thought about it the answer became yes because there are things that upset me and they are usually non-negotiables when it comes to ideas that offend me on principal. When I think of people who are racist, homophobic, or people who don't accept people for who they are and those who are intolerant to differences I become very upset.

In general inequality, violence, injustice, unfairness, inhumane conditions for people, those who don't value human life, etc. Those kinds of people, those who hold those kind of beliefs and wish to produce harm make me so upset that it gets to the point of restrained violence for myself almost because it's irreconcilable to me how they could think that way. I guess you could say those are my "trip wires" when it comes to foreseeing things that make me upset and can cause "predictable outcomes" of my mood. That easily makes me feel upset, angry or in general causes strong reactions within me towards the negative. Those things make me very upset and internally cause me to react very powerfully. So yes I can imagine what it's like to be faced with things that displease me, I actually visually imagined someone who held all of those beliefs and it effected me deeply. I felt tremendous anger. I just don't think people who think that way should exist. They are evil.

I guess I can also foresee problems before they start and I tend to avoid being there when the blow up happens. It just seems easier to avoid the on coming collisions. I know my cousins fight a lot and I tend to not associate too much with their problems outside of the occasional listener/clarifier to try to get them to get along. But usually I try to avoid being with them when they have problems because they tend to be combative with each other.

and take appropriate action for or against this? That's sort of a trend in all of the introverted functions - they're good at predicting what they find necessary to eliminate or add to their respective typological perspectives.
I don't really know what you are asking for the second part. I guess if I was confronted with that person I could engage them but once I found out what he thought I would likely not spend anymore time with him because he is an evil person who doesn't have any sense of morals or values. I would do whatever I could to not see him or speak with him ever again. I also tend to not indulge in situations where I think there is going to be conflict. I guess that could be the "sixth sense" that you are talking about?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I guess you could say those are my "trip wires" when it comes to foreseeing things that make me upset and can cause "predictable outcomes" of my mood.
Bingo! I think I caught an Fe type...okay, not 100% sure, but here's my reasoning based on this:

You seem to need some external standard to have a clue about defining your feelings (so, the extraverted nature of Fe over the introverted, self-referencing one of Fi). It seems like you need to be aware of the external stimulus to form the values, rather than this whole "I think that's horrible because I know I wouldn't want to be treated that way" predictive quality associated with Fi. What do you think? Am I right, wrong, etc.? Input by other Fi or Fe types would be helpful to me, frankly.

Reactions: Arrow
1 - 20 of 33 Posts