Personality Cafe banner

Clarissa or Lizzie?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that these shows share a lot of similarities with each other. Both aired in the early years of their respected decades (Clarrissa aired from 1991-1994 and Lizzie Aired from 2001-2004) because of this you see a lot of late80's/early 90's fashion and trends in Clarrissa and a lot of late 90's/early 00's fashion and trends in in Lizzie McGuire.

They also both revolve around young teenage girls and their daily life. They are both sitcoms.

They both were very popular with kids and Tweens.

Plus they both are considered cult classics to their respected networks.

I notice many older Gen Yers (born 1981-1986) get nostalgic over Clarrisa Explains it All while younger Gen Yers (born 1991-1996) get nostalgic over Lizzie McGuire.

What do you guys think and which show do you prefer?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Never grew up with Clarissa and I really don't know the show. So I can only go with Lizzie McGuire. (even though I was rarely into the show) but I respect it a lot though, and I know many 1997 born's who grew up with Lizzie McGuire too so don't count them out. Maybe 1998 & 1999 are leaning towards more Hannah Montana though.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,408 Posts
l don't really find them that similar. Both shows were on kid/tween networks and so were written from the POV of a character in that age range.

Lizzie McGuire was alright, l watched it with my little sister. Obviously l preferred Clarissa but it was directed at a wider audience IMO. l was only 7 or 8 while it was on, l'd imagine the realistic cut off for viewers was around 12 even though they were probably aiming for 13-15.

The cut off for Lizzie Mcguire was like...10ish? l tend to find a lot of Gen Z leaning shows more sterile that way, though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I watched Clarissa and I believed that show fit the early 2000s more than Lizzie Mcquire ever did in terms of my culture that I was brought up in X3.

Do not know why , But I found Lizzie mcquire to be very boring

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Registered
680 Posts
I always liked Clarissa. Of course, being born in '92, I didn't watch it when it first aired. I never watched the Disney Channel much though so I didn't watch most of the shows on there, and by the time Lizzie McGuire aired I wasn't into those types of shows anymore.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Of course younger generations prefer or remember Clarissa more clearly- the show aired in 1991, whereas Lizzie aired in 2001. That's a ten year gap, so those from Gen Y will likely remember and favor Clarissa whereas Gen Z will remember and favor Lizzie.

I'm a bit on the "cusp" of gen Y and Z (my own terminology/jargon and likely not accurate :p), as I was born in mid 94. Actually, I probably relate more to gen Z, but I remember some 90's items. I watched Clarissa when I was four, so I have little to no memory, but from what I can tell, Clarissa, while clearly marketed towards females, was a bit more gender neutral aside from the pure estrogen that was Lizzie Mcguire. Both are cheesy and outdated in their own ways. What's better may be influenced by gender (I'd be willing to assume the majority of men would prefer Clarissa, but that's just an estimation) and generation, so we all have a bias. I'd say whatever had the most impact amongst the generation they were produced in, as well as the best writing.

The last time I watched Clarissa I thought it was cheesy. So is Lizzie, but it remains within a special place in my heart. I marathon it forever. Forget Ethan Craft. Team Gordo.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'm nostalgic over both (born 89) but I'm going Team Lizzie. Clarissa wins on theme music and eccentric style but Lizzie has a mini cartoon Lizzie living in her head and overall had more interesting life dynamics.

Reactions: Deadly Decorum

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm nostalgic over both (born 89) but I'm going Team Lizzie. Clarissa wins on theme music and eccentric style but Lizzie has a mini cartoon Lizzie living in her head and overall had more interesting life dynamics.
Same! As a guy I was never into girly types of shows and I was even skeptical of Lizzie at first however I will admit the cartoon element did add something to the show and it was pretty interesting to me because of that.

Also another thing I liked about the show is that the male characters were actually relatable (like Gordo being friend zoned by Lizzie and Lizzie's little bro Matt) so I never felt like I was being stripped of my boy cards when I was watching it lol. I can't really say the same for many girl targeted shows these days...

·
Registered
720 Posts
The styles and fashion from Clarissa Explains it Allweren't anything like the early 2000s.
hon ,

I was a kid in the early 2000s and I know that every little thing in that series were what my friends were doing at the time with a T.

I think lizzie mcquire tho speaks more to the 10s in my honest opinion. just the way they act just seems " smart and clever "

·
Banned
302 Posts
hon ,

I was a kid in the early 2000s and I know that every little thing in that series were what my friends were doing at the time with a T.

I think lizzie mcquire tho speaks more to the 10s in my honest opinion. just the way they act just seems " smart and clever "
I was talking about Clarissa Explains it All, not Lizzie McGuire.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I've seen both but I would go for Clarissa Explains It All. I like the intro theme song. I thought it was odd as a guy to watch a girls show.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Same! As a guy I was never into girly types of shows and I was even skeptical of Lizzie at first however I will admit the cartoon element did add something to the show and it was pretty interesting to me because of that.
This probably explains the only reason why Lizzie McGuire was watchable to me. Back in like 2002 was I was 6 years old and my female cousins had that on Zoog Disney I had no idea what was going on, but whenever the cartoons girl came on (which represented her thoughts), that always got my attention fast. I liked that idea on the show though, I don't recall any other live-action sitcom that featured a cartoon character representing a person's thoughts?

Also another thing I liked about the show is that the male characters were actually relatable (like Gordo being friend zoned by Lizzie and Lizzie's little bro Matt) so I never felt like I was being stripped of my boy cards when I was watching it lol. I can't really say the same for many girl targeted shows these days...
True, and that's what made Disney Channel a lot more watchable back in the day, their sitcoms made from the 1998-2005 period actually had some diversity in different characters. Lizzie McGuire and That's So Raven may have been too girly for me (I was more of a CN/Nick watcher growing up anyway) but at least it still had relatable characters that thought you life lessons, and the characters weren't too obnoxious at times.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I have actually seen Clarissa. Vs Lizzy
..never even watched.

I'm a Clarissa girl, but not religiously. I wouldn't even know why. It was some smart teen girl rebellious against parents, a really literal Janie from American Beauty.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I liked Blossom.
😡.. how old are you people?

I barely remember Blossom she's relegated to Charles in Charge land, I actually vividly remember Clarissa from being a tween. I can hear her talking to me.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
.. how old are you people?

I barely remember Blossom she's relegated to Charles in Charge land, I actually vividly remember Clarissa from being a tween. I can hear her talking to me.
I don't really remember Blossom either, but I remember that I liked it. When I look at youtube videos, I'm kind of proud of my younger self for liking such a well-spoken, intelligent, and interesting character.

And then I realized that she ended up being Amy Fara Fowler on Big Bang Theory, and it took on some humourous overtones.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts