Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerning romantic relationships, would you prefer a:

a) nerd/geek who is excellent in science and maths (university level), but lacks breadth as in "classical education", i.e. has no economic intuition, no political opinion, no idea about arts etc., or

b) someone with rudimentary math skills, but strong classical education, i.e. speaks at least three languages, can stand his/her ground in an open debate, can argue his/her political opinion very clearly, knows a lot about history etc.

I met those types at a party recently and I must admit the latter ones were more impressive, somehow they had more balls and character, leadership etc. although they were not as "intelligent" as the nerd types.

Sorry for the typo...

·
Registered
782 Posts
b. but id honestly pick neither. rebellious and artsy all the way[oh and guys who live in the moment are awesome too!]

Reactions: dizzygirl

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ideally, I'd like a bit of both. But I'd go with the nerd/geek option because it fits myself better. If politics or history is involved in what I'm studying, sure, I know about it. But I more or less lack a general knowledge. I know nothing about art, I only know what I think is pretty and would be willing to have in my house or have done to my house.

I think I'd be bored with person B eventually. And they'd probably be bored with me since I am into science.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Usually people are both or neither, those that are "classically educated" likely just didn't like math so they don't know much about it. To me there is intelligent and not intelligent, not really any mix.

edit: furthermore everyone is intelligent in their own way, but I suppose to answer the OP I would say "classically" educated.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah, I absolutely suck at math, but adore biology (biology student). And I definitely can stand my grounds in a debate. Idk where psychology or philosophy fit in those two categories either, but there's a few more interests.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
B - hands down, and I don't see it as less intelligent than A. I'm not really into debating types though. I like when people can discuss ideas in more of a "sharing" manner. I'm also more interested in the arts, so that would be nice to share with a partner.

I'm good at higher math though; so I can handle that if needed :tongue:. Seriously though, how do you know whether someone has good math/science skills from a party conversation?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Just as pretty much everyone else has said, I'd like some of both, but the latter is preferable.

In terms of quick flings, I'll take either. Nerds -- yum, yum!

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Person B sounds like they'd be much more interesting to have conversations with.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Intelligence/explaining complex theories = hotness. Doesn't matter what it's in. As long as they will listen to my rants and have intelligent conversations with me, I'm in heaven.

PS. I'm more of a person B myself, but even if you knew NOTHING about science and math, you could still be described as a nerd. It's more your approach to life than your interests, methinks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Intelligence/explaining complex theories = hotness. Doesn't matter what it's in. As long as they will listen to my rants and have intelligent conversations with me, I'm in heaven.

PS. I'm more of a person B myself, but even if you knew NOTHING about science and math, you could still be described as a nerd. It's more your approach to life than your interests, methinks.
I think that about sums it up.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Definitely the classically educated person, plus rebellion and a good dose of affectionate charm for me.
I want some who can spark theories and ramp me up on a rant and I still learn something, and someone who isn't opposed to some very subversive activities, ideas, etc but at the end of it all I still want that closeness skin to skin contact, that at least shows to us we're real.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Wow, thank you!:blushed: I'm person B! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Reactions: dizzygirl

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Exactly. :tongue: You read my mind :happy: