Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a month and a half, the last full high school graduation class to be born in the 1990s, the Fall 1998 - Summer 1999 born Class of 2017, will be graduating from high school. Now granted, the Class of 2018 is essentially a hybrid 90s baby 00s baby class, but even then, only about 25% of them were born in 1999 against 75% born in 2000, so next year, about 93.75% of those in high school will be 00s babies.

Also, in about four and a half months, the Class of 2021 will be entering high school as freshmen. Now, I bet most of us feel the sign of the times with the Class of 2020 that are freshmen currently; them being born Fall 2001 - Summer 2002 means they are basically the first class born after 9/11. However, the Class of 2021, being they were born in Fall 2002 - Summer 2003, some of them were actually born after the start of the Iraq War! Also, to @SuperYoshi, next year there'll be kids born a decade after you in high school.
Also, there'll be more high school students born in the Bush Administration than in the Clinton Administration next year.

Also, next school year will be during the final quarter of the 2010s, and will be closer to Jan 1, 2020 than it will be to Jan 1, 2015. This leads me to my next point, which is that the 90s baby heyday is ending.
Now, what do I mean by this? Well, think about it like this;

The Doo Wop, Rock & Roll, Beatnik culture of the 1950s was popularized by those born in the 1930s.
The Hippie, Beatles, Flower Children culture of the 1960s was popularized by those born in the 1940s.
The Heavy Metal, Pong, Disco culture of the 1970s was popularized by those born in the 1950s.
The Synth Pop, Arcade, Glam culture of the 1980s was popularized by those born in the 1960s.
The Grunge, Punk, Rap culture of the 1990s was popularized by those born in the 1970s.
The Emo, MySpace, Crunk culture of the 2000s was popularized by those born in the 1980s.

And of course, the culture of this decade, the 2010s, is popularized by us born in the 1990s, we are the target market for everything coming out now, and therefore the 10s is the 90s baby heyday. But now the 10s are slowly on their way out, and the 2020s are now on the horizon. That decade will be the heyday for those born in the 00s. There are already some mainstream celebrities born in 2000 and 2001, pretty soon we should see 00s babies making the biggest impact on pop culture and the media, via movies, music, TV shows, etc., and those born in the 90s will be getting to or close to the age of marriage and childbirth.

Now, granted, I myself am a late 90s baby, born December 1997 and graduated last year, so I'm obviously not trying to speak about 90s babies as I'm the central figure, as I'm definitely born late in the 90s spectrum, and hell I even dated a girl born in 2000 not too long ago, but I just thought this would be an interesting topic discussion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I thought about this a few days ago. Time is something. I wonder what the new decade will look like compared to this decade. What will technology look like in the next 10 years? I am curious about youth culture of the 2020s.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Man I've been thinking about all of this! I still remember when I was a freshmen and their was nothing BUT 90s borns in school! Now the last bit of us 90s babies are the big dogs to pretty much an entirety of people born in the 00s. It's weird thinking about that..cool but weird.

I don't think it's a bad thing of course since time is gonna keep moving and it's not like people born in the 00s will be bad just because of the year they were born in and all, I'm sure some people in the 80s thought the same thing when we first entered into high school XD

It's also kinda weird knowing that we are pretty much the last bit of people to grow up even in a little bit of what's considered the better days of Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and the golden days of Disney channel. Freshmen and even some sophomores really would be the first to be of age to really watch these channels right when they have already changed instead of witnessing it changing and seeing it before how it is now. Of course they could watch it later online or something, but they wouldn't remember seeing it in the time they were showing the shows at all. Unless they had some serious great memory as a baby.

It's sad really, it cuts down some relatable things to say to some people. And it kinda burns because these people are not even that young compared to me! :laughing:

·
Banned
5,979 Posts
In about a month and a half, the last full high school graduation class to be born in the 1990s, the Fall 1998 - Summer 1999 born Class of 2017, will be graduating from high school. Now granted, the Class of 2018 is essentially a hybrid 90s baby 00s baby class, but even then, only about 25% of them were born in 1999 against 75% born in 2000, so next year, about 93.75% of those in high school will be 00s babies.

Also, in about four and a half months, the Class of 2021 will be entering high school as freshmen. Now, I bet most of us feel the sign of the times with the Class of 2020 that are freshmen currently; them being born Fall 2001 - Summer 2002 means they are basically the first class born after 9/11. However, the Class of 2021, being they were born in Fall 2002 - Summer 2003, some of them were actually born after the start of the Iraq War! Also, to @SuperYoshi, next year there'll be kids born a decade after you in high school.
Also, there'll be more high school students born in the Bush Administration than in the Clinton Administration next year.

Also, next school year will be during the final quarter of the 2010s, and will be closer to Jan 1, 2020 than it will be to Jan 1, 2015. This leads me to my next point, which is that the 90s baby heyday is ending.
Now, what do I mean by this? Well, think about it like this;

The Doo Wop, Rock & Roll, Beatnik culture of the 1950s was popularized by those born in the 1930s.
The Hippie, Beatles, Flower Children culture of the 1960s was popularized by those born in the 1940s.
The Heavy Metal, Pong, Disco culture of the 1970s was popularized by those born in the 1950s.
The Synth Pop, Arcade, Glam culture of the 1980s was popularized by those born in the 1960s.
The Grunge, Punk, Rap culture of the 1990s was popularized by those born in the 1970s.
The Emo, MySpace, Crunk culture of the 2000s was popularized by those born in the 1980s.

And of course, the culture of this decade, the 2010s, is popularized by us born in the 1990s, we are the target market for everything coming out now, and therefore the 10s is the 90s baby heyday. But now the 10s are slowly on their way out, and the 2020s are now on the horizon. That decade will be the heyday for those born in the 00s. There are already some mainstream celebrities born in 2000 and 2001, pretty soon we should see 00s babies making the biggest impact on pop culture and the media, via movies, music, TV shows, etc., and those born in the 90s will be getting to or close to the age of marriage and childbirth.

Now, granted, I myself am a late 90s baby, born December 1997 and graduated last year, so I'm obviously not trying to speak about 90s babies as I'm the central figure, as I'm definitely born late in the 90s spectrum, and hell I even dated a girl born in 2000 not too long ago, but I just thought this would be an interesting topic discussion.
*pitching my tent up for the great emo revival after I graduate*

·
Registered
19 Posts
Class of 2018, but technically still a 90's kid by a few months. As I race towards my senior year, the idea that kids were born in the same year I went to kindergarten is terrifying, makes me feel old. The old shows i used to watch are slowly disappearing or getting worse with 10+ seasons and terrible reboots. Time and space seems disorted as a kid, you feel that you will never grow and things would never change. Now, I'm watching everything I grew up with is slowly disappearing.

Ugh.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm class of 2013, my sister by birth would be class of 2018 (I don't talk with her much, but I remember at one point when her mental health was pretty bad she got massively behind so she might be class of 2019), so I'm already constantly reminded of this with my baby sister being 17 haha. But thanks. :p

I've felt like it's been over since the first time I felt a divide between myself and the culture of today. That was when I went to a screening of The Fault In Our Stars in 2014. It was 19 year-old me surrounded by 15-16 year old girls and it was the first time I felt like the youth of today were separate from myself. I'm also too old for John Green stories now and that's sad, but I simply don't relate to any of it anymore. Nothing youth do or are into anymore has been relevant to me since about 2013-2014, and that's a very odd feeling. Also, admitting I like a musician who's younger than me. It's not a huge problem, but you get that sort of wtf am I doing with my life feeling that someone younger than you has achieved something you wanted to do. I've never encountered looking up to someone with less experience than myself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm class of 2013, my sister by birth would be class of 2018 (I don't talk with her much, but I remember at one point when her mental health was pretty bad she got massively behind so she might be class of 2019), so I'm already constantly reminded of this with my baby sister being 17 haha. But thanks. :p

I've felt like it's been over since the first time I felt a divide between myself and the culture of today. That was when I went to a screening of The Fault In Our Stars in 2014. It was 19 year-old me surrounded by 15-16 year old girls and it was the first time I felt like the youth of today were separate from myself. I'm also too old for John Green stories now and that's sad, but I simply don't relate to any of it anymore. Nothing youth do or are into anymore has been relevant to me since about 2013-2014, and that's a very odd feeling. Also, admitting I like a musician who's younger than me. It's not a huge problem, but you get that sort of wtf am I doing with my life feeling that someone younger than you has achieved something you wanted to do. I've never encountered looking up to someone with less experience than myself.
I too had that feeling at around your age, but please don't feel old. You're still very young and have the whole world waiting for you. Trust me, when your 30 you'll look back at 19 and realize just how young you were. It's easy to feel that way when you compare yourself to younger people. When I was 19, I would compare myself to 15 year olds and feel "old" and especially when they achieved something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts