Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had the radio on in my car, and I had it on a Classic Rock station that usually plays songs from the '70s and '80s primarily. Guess what they played? "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence, a song released in 2003. I love that song, but what the hell is it doing on a classic rock station, is '00s rock now classic rock?

The term "Classic Rock" is one of the worst music terms out there if you ask me, because it's too vague and too inclusive. Rock music as a genre originated in the late '40s deriving from blues music, but it wasn't until the mid '60s with The Beatles that the genre diversified and became what it is now. Because of this, the term "Classic Rock" doesn't usually touch upon music acts from before the Beatles, rock and roll music acts from the '50s and early '60s such as Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry are instead labelled as "Oldies" rather than "Classic Rock".

So, Classic Rock as a genre starts in the '60s. But when does it end? Well, rock songs from the '60s, '70s, and '80s are almost universally considered Classic Rock, while rock songs from the '90s and recently to a lesser extent '00s are debatable. But let's look back at some lyrics from Bowling for Soup's "1985" song released in 2004;
"When did Motley Crue become classic rock?"

Motley Crue is an '80s rock band, so apparently at one point people took offense to '80s bands being considered as "classic rock". Nowadays music from that decade universally fits the term, but does this prove the term "Classic Rock" was already becoming too inclusive at that point? Was adding the '80s to the Classic Rock category mixing oranges in with a box of apples?
There's a huge difference in vibe between '60s rock and '80s rock, rock music from the former decade is a lot more soft and amiable, while rock music from the latter decade is more powerful and confrontational, I'd even argue that rock music from the '80s is more similar to rock music from the '00s than rock music from the '60s because of this.

Also, let's not forget that the '00s was really the last decade where rock music was mainstream. Rock music has for the most part gone completely underground in the '10s, so there's really no need to distinguish rock music from yesterday VS from today, because the original point of Classic Rock stations was to serve as an alternative against mainstream modern rock music, but today modern rock music is an alternative of the mainstream itself, so a lot of the original purpose of Classic Rock stations is defeated there. Classic Rock stations still do serve as an alternative, just not as an alternative to modern rock music, because there's no need for an alternative to an underground genre.

So there's the first problem with the term "Classic Rock", it's way too vague and inclusive.
But it's not only too inclusive due to the ambiguity of the time frame, but also because of the many sub genres of rock the label has to cover.
Even if we're excluding rock music from the '90s and '00s, that still doesn't fix the inclusive nature of the term "Classic Rock", because the '70s and '80s had many different genres of rock music, and because of that, these stations have no core audience to appeal to, so they just take the safe option and play radio friendly shit.
I'm talking specifically about songs such as "More Than A Feeling", "Don't Stop Believing", and "Carry on My Wayward Son", these songs are mediocre and stale to begin with, yet they are played abundantly on these classic rock stations to the point where even pop shit from today feels refreshing.

I want to get some of your input on this. Has the term "Classic Rock" jumped the shark, did you dislike the term to begin with, and do you think Classic Rock stations are far too inclusive and don't know their core audience?

·
Spam-I-am
13,657 Posts
classic rock must be 20 years post release date
it probably varies according to stations
I listen to my music through my iPhone via bluetooth through my car
radio is sooooo grandpa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts