Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
Find a sense of all this, understand and explore reality (but fatigue to act in an active exploration in the open world). I look for total understanding.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
To understand the core of reality and leave a meaningful life.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
Hope to avoid or being without understanding. I value understanding and kindness.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I'm scared to die without knowing what this life is about because I think this is the purpose of existence.
I'm scared to isolate myself too much and be incapable of living a normal life and idealizing to much things in my head at the point to make them almost impossible to get for me.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as an intelligent and secure person.
I see myself insecure, indecise and goofy, especially with social relations.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Best: have a clear mind, stay in my imagination and find truth in things trying to understand them or express my feelings that I can't explain well in words with music.
Worst: being too defensive and arrogant when I feel my privacy is violated. Acting too secure on the outside when in social situations while I'm not this and I wish I could be just myself.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) internalize if I think it's just a problem of mine. Externalize if I know the person and I know I can express my anger. Being sarcastic.
b) internalize, run away internally from the outside world and from the shame feeling.
c) a feeling of constant tension on the head and the cervical. I try not to let others see I'm anxious.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
a) my mind fragment and I can't think clearly, jumping from a thought to another. I could be assertive and take control of the situation if others don't collaborate or I just isolate myself.
b) anxiety
c) let the argument die or fight if I think I'm right and I care about the topic.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
a) at first I'm intimidated by it if I feel the person is clearly better than me in some aspect I care about, but in general I don't care about authorities and I dislike them
b) it makes me angry if it is used improperly on me

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
Everyone is identified with several material things as success, moneys, job and personalities in general. I think we are just the same thing at the core, but we forgot about it and we are lost in a lot of useless and stressful things that could be entertaining and enjoyable if only we could do them with a sort of detachment.

Additional notes:
- I'm usually very anxious and reserved and I find difficult to really get in touch with people, even though I have lots of friends.
- In the past I used to be far more insecure and indecise under stress, I always tried to isolate and figure out things on my own but on occasion I tried to open myself (with lot of difficulty) to some friend to solve a problem or a decision.
- Open myself to other is difficult because I feel exposed.
- Have been very self doubting especially about life choices and tried to act to what was right for me to grow and get more in touch with life because I feel I've always been too retreated in myself.
- Always been a very imaginative as a kid and now as a person and got lost in stories in my head and music and ideas, I like to express myself in music more than words.
- Find freaking difficult to act towards what I want if this thing could expose me and make me risk.
- In stressful periods I used to get lost in depressive feelings that inflated depressive thoughts. I also used to feel not understood and thus I didn't open to anyone and felt alone.
- Hidden need to be noted and valued even thought I don't act on this.
- I think I'm a very sensible person even though I rarely express my sensitivity to people.
- Used to second guess my decisions a lot and consider all the alternatives, now I do it far less.
- Used to follow friends I found more intelligent / creative than me because I felt security in their choices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are a very kind person and you come across as a five... What are your thoughts on your type? Fives often have very little problem to find their style.
Hey! Thanks for the answer. I find that 5 really resonates with me in almost all aspects, but for example I find myself often in doubt and anxiety, which I think is more a 6 thing.
The doubt I have is between 6 and 5 I'd say, because I always needed someone I trust to validate my own hypothesis (like a 6), but at the same time I feel very detached from the world and struggle to feel at ease in almost every social situation, to the point that now I try to control every single movement when walking or drinking someting outside and cannot be spontaneous anymore (I think more a 5 thing).
I'm always more interested in doing my things and struggle to share my time with others and also I freaking don't know how to behave with people, even though my friends are really happy to stay with me.
I keep things to myself and never talk about my problems exept on posts like this on the internet.
Dunno, I feel very 5 but at the same time I think I have the insecurity and doubts of a 6 (which I do not usually share because I usually feel exposed and weak doing this and think others do not care about).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think I'm a very sensible person even though I rarely express my sensitivity to people.
Do you speak German as your first language? If so, would you mind me answering in German? It would be nice for a change.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Almost there, I'm italian actually! Do I have a german-ish english grammar style? :biggrin:
Ah, interesting. No then it is a mistake that German and Italian speakers do both. Have you realised, what you have mixed up in English? The English "sensible" refers to Italian "raggione". It seems to say something like having the aid of all the senses or being capable of sensing means you are reasonable. So Italian "sensibile" or German "sensibel" translate to "sensitive". You might want to look it up yourself : )

Regarding your question: The first thing that comes to my mind is how it is possible that you cannot decide between the six and five style for your core. But it is maybe different for guys. Because my experience was that I could myself see also in styles that common sense has a feminine styles. I think it was the four and the two. The six (I have the four wing) for a long time struck me as almost a natural anomaly. My unbelief about the six core was how it was possible not to trust your thoughts : ) And how it was possible to believe that you could find stability in other people. Because for me other people have a very unstable nature. To find something to trust on I tend to look inwards. The six looks outside. Now I know of course all the styles better from the good books as well as from experiencing and observing people...

Let me see again what you wrote:
I find that 5 really resonates with me in almost all aspects, but for example I find myself often in doubt and anxiety, which I think is more a 6 thing.
The doubt I have is between 6 and 5 I'd say, because I always needed someone I trust to validate my own hypothesis (like a 6), but at the same time I feel very detached from the world and struggle to feel at ease in almost every social situation, to the point that now I try to control every single movement when walking or drinking someting outside and cannot be spontaneous anymore (I think more a 5 thing).
I'm always more interested in doing my things and struggle to share my time with others and also I freaking don't know how to behave with people, even though my friends are really happy to stay with me.
I keep things to myself and never talk about my problems exept on posts like this on the internet.
Dunno, I feel very 5 but at the same time I think I have the insecurity and doubts of a 6 (which I do not usually share because I usually feel exposed and weak doing this and think others do not care about).
I think that a first step for guys who hypothesize that they have the five style but are not sure is to countercheck the nine. I'd recommend it because of your uncertainty of identifying with the five. Because fives in my view don't need help and even less reach out to type themselves correctly. On the other hand the nine has often great problems to identify themselves correctly because the very act of deciding themselves to see themselves as having a certain style brings up their core fear, to have a personality. I think it is Riso and Hudson who wrote that two-thirds of the nine guys mistype themselves as fives.

Have you heard about that? What are your thoughts about identifying with the nine style?

Here you find the Ennegram Institutes explanation on why nines somewhat habitually mistype themselves:

https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/misidentifying-5-and-9

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, interesting. No then it is a mistake that German and Italian speakers do both. Have you realised, what you have mixed up in English? The English "sensible" refers to Italian "raggione". It seems to say something like having the aid of all the senses or being capable of sensing means you are reasonable. So Italian "sensibile" or German "sensibel" translate to "sensitive". You might want to look it up yourself : )
Oh wow, I really wasn't aware of that, thanks for letting me know!

Regarding your question: The first thing that comes to my mind is how it is possible that you cannot decide between the six and five style for your core. But it is maybe different for guys. Because my experience was that I could myself see also in styles that common sense has a feminine styles. I think it was the four and the two. The six (I have the four wing) for a long time struck me as almost a natural anomaly. My unbelief about the six core was how it was possible not to trust your thoughts : ) And how it was possible to believe that you could find stability in other people. Because for me other people have a very unstable nature. To find something to trust on I tend to look inwards. The six looks outside. Now I know of course all the styles better from the good books as well as from experiencing and observing people...
It is interesting that males and females could mistype themselves with different types. The two never even touched my mind because I'm really like the opposite of that personality, I thought for some time to be a four because I usually see the world through melancholy filter and find difficult to REALLY be happy, also the music I write is always somewhat sad or like it coms from a distant space. I also see a lot of the one type in myself for I'm very severe and demanding with myself (and with others when I feel they are not doing things as I think they should, but most of the time I don't even say anything because I know this behaviour is just a problem of mine).

However I'm surely a head type, because fear and anxiety drives me more than shame or rage, I get anxious when an unexpected event comes up, I need to know things in advance to feel safe and I find satisfaction in reasoning and when something makes sense in my head. Also I'm pretty goofy with people.

You say six was difficult for you to understand because sixes do not trust their minds and this is the opposite of what you do. I think this is a very good point, and it is exactly what is said about fives, that they trust only their minds. If this is the case, I find myself a little in the middle, because before I ask for help (which is like a defeat for me) I first try to find answers reasoning and searching in books or internet, people are the last thing when it comes for help. BUT I do it if I really am stuck in a situation where pros and cons seems the same and I cannot conclude a sure thing, even though I have to be fully convinced in my head to accept the suggestion.

I read the comparison between 5s and 9s that you linked me (thank you for the suggestion btw), and reading some 5s traits I thought about 6s, because I know 6s people who are very trusting of their minds, they are reserved, they really love knowledge etc. Also they say:

(The Five's ideas may also come to nothing, but at least they are pursued, and practical results may eventually come of them.) To give another example, a Nine might wonder what it is like to fly and make up a story about it. A Five might wonder how to fly and invent an airplane or do research on birds or design a rocket.
But for example I have a dear 5 friend who is not so scientific and does not makes so much research for knowledge and technicalities, it is far more imaginative and intuitive. Of course he read a lot of things that interests him, but he does not speak a technical language.

My approach is very similar, for example I never followed school lessons because I was not interested in technicalities and too occupied to think my things like play guitar, music, stories etc, and I always preferred to find my own theory rather that follow one already existing (also because often I read a theory and this triggers me more ideas or I think it could be optimized etc etc).

I don't think I'm a 9 because I'm pretty much the opposite: I'm really not easygoing, I really am not positive, I really am not open, I really am not non-nonjudgmental etc. I also have two 9 friends and they have like almost zero things in common with me. Btw it could be a good point so thanks for pointing that out, it was also an interesting read because I didn't know 9s could mistype as 5s.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I found really interesting to discuss the points you raised :D

In the end, maybe the coping mechanism is the more important thing to watch in a person to know its type. I have six friends that are almost always talking about them and asking for an opinion, while I have so much difficulties talking about me in general or my doubts that I had to learn to do it with time and even now sometimes my voice shakes when I'm asked to talk about some difficulty I have or when I ask for an opinion (maybe because I fear to be judged as weak). But again, I don't know if this could be also a 6 thing.

Last thing: I really love the enneagram but I'm struggling so much to be 100% sure about my type because if I will be about to talk about it I want to be sure to know everything, first of all about me, otherwise it would be stupid to talk about an instrument you don't master (this sounds like a 5 thing but I know 6s that could say the same so I'm confused eheh)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts