Personality Cafe banner

4041 - 4060 of 4092 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Can I please repost this? Beautiful, beautiful, and beautiful!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Can I please repost this? Beautiful, beautiful, and beautiful!

Oh that is really nice. I think I like the Joseph Schmidt even better.
I'll see who else I can find singing it as well.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
There's a reason this melody is probably Schubert's most famous. I really think Leontyne is the best soprano of the last century too.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Actually I think the best voice for Schubert would be Kathleen Battle, and she might have thought so too lol. I found a bunch. =) I don't know... Kathleen is absolutely amazing in doses. But she's got that delicacy that Schubert's pieces need in droves.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Oh that is really nice. I think I like the Joseph Schmidt even better.
I'll see who else I can find singing it as well.
He sings very beautifully, but I thought he was singing opera, not lieder. But maybe that is because he is singing in an Italian style? I wonder if you know of Beniamino Gigli? He almost reminded me of him.

·
Registered
Infj
24 Posts
How about typing some Opera characters!?

I have some thoughts for Turandot, which I saw most recently:

Turandot - INTJ (lower Fi, but still following what's meaningful to her, Te outer control of the situation, Ni steadfastness in following though with what she believes in, ice)

Calàf - ExFP...? (passion over reason, fire, Fi with following his own heart at possible cost of others' future/happiness even though of course his persistence ends up benefiting everyone, outgoing, headstrong)

Liù - ISFJ (Fe, giving herself up for others/outside reasons, steadfast loyalty, caring, never letting go of past meaningful moments/details)

Ping, Pang, and Pong - such ENxPs:)
Hello, I think Calàf is esfp.
How would you type La Traviata and Tosca?
I view Violetta as an infx (Sounds like she has Ni in Addio, del passato.) And Alfredo as infp.
Tosca : I see a lot of Fi
Mario : Not sure

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
oh look, it's placido domingo being a lecherous schmuck. goodness me what a surprise.

[edit: i traduce victorio grigolo, who was the actual tenor in this. leaving the joke there, because]

more seriously, this entire sequence is one of my favourite parts of rigoletto and this is one of my absolute favourite stagings of it.

·
Registered
INTP or else
13,894 Posts
oh look, it's placido domingo being a lecherous schmuck. goodness me what a surprise.

more seriously, this entire sequence is one of my favourite parts of rigoletto and this is one of my absolute favourite stagings of it.
Gorgeous stuff but why don't we give Pavorotti a chance? After he's not the father here.

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Gorgeous stuff but why don't we give Pavorotti a chance?
I'd be glad to, I'm just not sure I understand the question. I like Pavarotti, but lately I've been more obsessed with Carlo bergonzi and Giuseppe di Stefano in the handful of operas that I like. Have you been keeping up with the met streams? I am really looking forward to today's because It's dessay and florez in la sonnambula. I liked them so much together in fille du regiment.

·
Registered
INTP or else
13,894 Posts
I'd be glad to, I'm just not sure I understand the question. I like Pavarotti, but lately I've been more obsessed with Carlo bergonzi and Giuseppe di Stefano in the handful of operas that I like. Have you been keeping up with the met streams? I am really looking forward to today's because It's dessay and florez in la sonnambula. I liked them so much together in fille du regiment.
I'm not sure this will make sense, but didn't you refer to Placido as a lech? In Rigoletto he hates leches and is anything but. Pavarotti plays one in the link I provided.

Met streams? Did you see this? Metropolitan Opera for Free

Lately I have been having trouble keeping up with them. Amazing how these singers are willing to die if they don't get love from their favorite.

Do you like Lucia?

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Domingo seems have been a pig in his personal life.

Rigoletto is such a complex opera. Nobody in it is straightforwardly likeable. That's one of the things I came to like; the other being, the lead is a baritone for a change.

Lucia is still my crack, of the operas I have been smitten with. It's been a year and I haven't shaken the fixation yet. The last scene belongs to the tenor for once, and it is such a series of arias. Three in a row and they're all amazing

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Met streams? Did you see this? Metropolitan Opera for Free
Exactly. And yes, 24 hours before its gone gets to feel pressure-y. I had some I had to see, but I'm letting a lot of the others go by. Still crushed that I didn't learn about this until after the trovatore and that barber of Seville production had already gone by. I saw the trovatore in a theatre and I have this huge aversion to Anna netrebko, so that one didn't hurt too much. But gah, I would have loved to see that barber production all the way through. I only get the YouTube bits.

I watched Hoffman, cenerentola, bits of Ernani, lucia and now sonnanbula. It's new to me (crash prep last night on a pav/sutherland version). Slow start, but it's getting to me. Now off to find the pav-as-pua clip you cite

·
Registered
INTP or else
13,894 Posts
Domingo seems have been a pig in his personal life.
So are a few movie stars but we still trust them as actors.

Rigoletto is such a complex opera. Nobody in it is straightforwardly likeable. That's one of the things I came to like; the other being, the lead is a baritone for a change.
My understanding is Verdi made this deliberate by switching voices. I don't know the whole story.

Lucia is still my crack, of the operas I have been smitten with. It's been a year and I haven't shaken the fixation yet. The last scene belongs to the tenor for once, and it is such a series of arias. Three in a row and they're all amazing
Dig Lily Pons. My problem is I once listened to a 12" record that ended the mad scene where she realistically sounded mad... the last few notes.. Pons doesn't do that here and I don't know the name of the singer. I want to hear her again but haven't a clue.

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
banner header apologizing to everyone else in the thread for just crashing in nattering.

So are a few movie stars but we still trust them as actors.
speak for yourself on that one.

My understanding is Verdi made this deliberate by switching voices. I don't know the whole story.
he was a really interesting guy by the sounds of it. i was tempted to type him as intj at one point, based on something i read somewhere from one of his letters explaining why he was doing something or other. nothing like specificity if you're going to type random dead people on no solid basis at all, right? anyway, it was something about the why of his approach to explaining whatever he felt strongly about that made me go hmmm. it did have that vibe.

Dig Lily Pons.
oh my. so clear. such articulation . . . i guess everyone knows lucia for the mad scene, but it's never been my big go-to. guilty secret 1: i love watching dessay act it though, gs 2: i often just skip to the last part, spargi amare lagrimi. i'm only now starting to fall into the grip of argon l'incensi

My problem is I once listened to a 12" record that ended the mad scene where she realistically sounded mad... the last few notes.

12" meaning older, right? could it have been callas, or is that too obvious? i have heard so much about callas both pro and con, but i'm a very simplistic opera listener so i've had myself on the easy gateway people. i only started to flirt with her a few months ago and it was lucia that made me risk it because it just kind of cries out for 'extreme'. fell straight down the rabbit hole. she and di stefano are one of my favourite combos. both very virile and kind of up to each other's weight.

the other 60's-ish soprano i've heard doing lucia was anna moffo. idk how likely she is. she seemed very polished and sweet.

• how are you on the rest of it? there was a vienna production of it a few years ago with florez and some forgettable soprano, which i wasn't tempted to watch after reading about the producer's ideas. it all sounded very tasteless and how-dare-they to me, and the few clips i saw of act 1 made it look that way too. BUT the graveyard finale was just inspired. grey overcoats and grey bowler hats on the chorus; a kind of minimalist magritte/ionesco army. the whole thing just killed.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

What an incredible cellist!

·
Registered
11,129 Posts

What an incredible cellist!
that seemed like a remarkable sound for a cello. am i right? i'm used to hearing a deeper tone with more audible vibration to it. this seemed to have a different texture but idk if it's the piece, or the instrument, or the performer that's responsible.

4041 - 4060 of 4092 Posts