Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
"An Officer and a Gentleman". I was tempted to watch it on TCM; but, the advertising they give it dissuades me from doing so: "He has to decide between the owner of his heart and the owner of his body"... there's something wrong with that sentence, but; I can't pinpoint what exactly.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Anything made in or before the 70s.

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Anime. I know you said classics, but there is a lot of anime floating about that people swear by. I just can't get into it.

I endured and even enjoyed Code Gaese, but only because the plot line was interesting. I never even finished it, because I just couldn't stomach the anime.

Never liked the Crouching Tiger hidden Dragon type of tree dancing, either.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Taxi Driver

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
What's a classic? I entered this thread thinking I knew, but now I'm not so sure.

I'll watch most older movies once (depending on plot and content), but there are several that I won't watch again. One that recently joined this list is Once Upon A Time, in the West. Boring.

Reactions: Class

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l don't ''really'' watch movies and yes, it does piss people off lol.

lf l really had to guess how many movies l've seen in my lifetime, l think it would be under 200 and l have hazy memories of them.

Haven't seen Star Wars

Dirty Dancing

Any Brat Pack movie

The Shining

Any Clint Eastwood movie AT ALL

No war or action movies unless you count Forrest Gump

GWTW

Saturday Night Fever

The Notebook

Fantasia

The Godfather

etc

l've always thought l would catch up one day but now l feel like l need someone to assist me through it lol.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I'm 44 and still have never watched "It's a Wonderful Life."

At this point, it's more the principle of it -- I don't want to break my streak.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
"An Officer and a Gentleman". I was tempted to watch it on TCM; but, the advertising they give it dissuades me from doing so: "He has to decide between the owner of his heart and the owner of his body"... there's something wrong with that sentence, but; I can't pinpoint what exactly.
LMAO!

Breakfast at Tiffany's...it just doesn't interest me. Or really any of those old-timey romantic comedies. I really hate romantic comedies and think they're stupid, and it sucks that those were basically the only movies that could have female leads for most of Hollywood's history.

Star Wars. Not really into science fiction.

I actually haven't seen a lot of the "classic" movies. I haven't seen Citizen Kane (I might watch it today though), Scarface (except the ending scene, also I saw the original 1930s one in a college film class), any John Hughes movie except for Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Titanic (ugh), Reservoir Dogs (I do need to watch that one), etc.

I just watched the Godfather I and II a couple of weeks ago (then my fiance and I tried to watch Godfather III and gave up about an hour into it...LOL).

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
LMAO!

Breakfast at Tiffany's...it just doesn't interest me. Or really any of those old-timey romantic comedies. I really hate romantic comedies and think they're stupid, and it sucks that those were basically the only movies that could have female leads for most of Hollywood's history.

Star Wars. Not really into science fiction.

I actually haven't seen a lot of the "classic" movies. I haven't seen Citizen Kane (I might watch it today though), Scarface (except the ending scene, also I saw the original 1930s one in a college film class), any John Hughes movie except for Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Titanic (ugh), Reservoir Dogs (I do need to watch that one), etc.

I just watched the Godfather I and II a couple of weeks ago (then my fiance and I tried to watch Godfather III and gave up about an hour into it...LOL).
I strongly recommend Citizen Kane (although, just for knowing what the fuzz is all about), Scarface and Reservoir Dogs. With Titanic, you're not missing much; trust me. Also, I could, with all certainty and not minding the wrath of people, recommend any Tarantino film. Sure, he's an egotistical bastard; but, he knows how to make good movies.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I strongly recommend Citizen Kane (although, just for knowing what the fuzz is all about), Scarface and Reservoir Dogs. With Titanic, you're not missing much; trust me. Also, I could, with all certainty and not minding the wrath of people, recommend any Tarantino film. Sure, he's an egotistical bastard; but, he knows how to make good movies.
Yeah I loved Pulp Fiction (didn't like Kill Bill though, it was too over the top for my taste and I thought the Bride was a bit of a Mary-Sue). The only reason why I haven't watched Reservoir Dogs yet is just never actually committing to watching it. I generally tend to choose watching TV shows (like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.) over movies because I like seeing epic character and plot development over a long period of time.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Yeah I loved Pulp Fiction (didn't like Kill Bill though, it was too over the top for my taste and I thought the Bride was a bit of a Mary-Sue). The only reason why I haven't watched Reservoir Dogs yet is just never actually committing to watching it. I generally tend to choose watching TV shows (like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.) over movies because I like seeing epic character and plot development over a long period of time.
The beauty of "Reservoir Dogs" is that it provides that character development; because, they show you the story of all the members, and what gets then into the heist; the heist, the after-heist and conclusion. It's bloody, I won't deny that; but, it's nothing over-the-top; like Kill Bill. It's a must-see if you're into films.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know it's not a classic, but I refuse to watch Dexter. I loved the actor in Six Feet Under, and absolutely LOVE horror / morbid anything, but the principle of separating humans into "good" and "bad" people has always pissed me off as I don't believe in absolutes and such black and white thinking. I watched the first episode and the theory / set-up annoyed me, so I refuse to watch any more. I always tell people I'm meaning to getting around to watching it, but I never will because I simply don't want to.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts