Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Photo caption Friendship Leg Photography

Questions:
1. How do you manage your time and priorities?
2. What are your motivations and fears?
3. How do you view workaholics?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
As a programmer, I enjoy what I do at work so sometimes I do "overdedicate" to my work projects. If I find it gratifying then why not? It's like playing a game or a hobby anyways.

The difference between work and hobby thought is that work is when I have to do it in disciplined and timed manner, and program what others want me to program, whereas a hooby is when I can write my own applications whenever I want.

Although I do have boundaries. I do work outside work only if it's fun or really necessary (projects are meaningful to me too) and if I'm not being forced to do so (I don't do well with entitled bosses). Most of the time I don't do work after work hours anyways, since there are other things in life I do and I do prioritize.

But what motivates me is the fun of doing what I can do (building web applications that can do some magic lol) and how technology impacts our lives.

As for workaholics, it depends on the reason why they are being so. If they have strong passion for what they do then it's actually great, if they are just doing so coz some boss demanded them to do so or just for the sake of appearing as hardworking for them then it's actually bad.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I'm about to join a workforce notorious for being workaholics (teaching).

Questions:

As a student, I usually write a list of stuff I "must do" that day. I'm not fantastic at following lists, but I write them to at least remind myself of what needs to be done. I work much better on instinct: just flowing from project to project. Every once in a while I will think 3-6 months ahead in a formal manner. When I teach, I'll have a formal schedule of at least subjects/standards to teach, collaborated on by all the teachers of my grade.

It's something I love, so I obsess over it. My fears are mostly organizational faux pas (INFP here) and just not getting a job.

It's impossible to judge without the circumstances involved. If you're working so hard that you're unhealthy, that's bad. If you're ignoring other parts of your life (like a true addiction) that's bad. If work happens to be your passion, and the amount of work you do isn't hurting yourself or others, then enjoy. I don't think that it's realistic to assume we all should be workaholics however. If somebody clocks in, clocks out, and does their job well, who am I to fault that? I've witnessed teachers being looked down upon because they weren't workaholics.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How do you manage your time and priorities?

I have this mental "priority tasklist" in my head that contains a list of shit that I intend to do sorted by those with highest priority to the lowest priority whereby various factors take into account into the priority value of the task such as urgency and impact (the benefit of having accomplished that task, etc)

That mental list is constantly changing as time passes by...new tasks are added to it as time passes by and moreover tasks are removed as well (ie they have been accomplished or they are no longer worth doing or they are no longer feasible etc...)

Hence most of my days is spent doing shit in this mental list

What are your motivations and fears?

Motivations

-Chasing after more money, power, and sex
-Financing a high-end lifestyle
-Financial independence
-Self-actualization and growth/development (I detest both stagnation and loss)
-Killing boredom/challenging myself/beating the game/keeping myself preoccupied with things to do

Fears

-That I'm not gonna get more money, power, or sex (or lose what I already have)
-That my lifestyle stagnates or deteriorates (nononono, nananana)
-That I'm at the mercy of someone else for my financial needs

Well I'm a workaholic myself so I guess "Greetings comrade? my name is XYZ and I'm a workaholic. Hi XYZ...."

Anyways, if you're a workaholic just make sure that you get a decent rate of return from your workaholism and not just wasting time/energy

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. The nature of my job is that I basically jump from one crisis to the next, constantly putting out fires. If I ever actually have the opportunity to map out my priorities, I use a four block triage system:

Motivations are simple. Make a lot of money and challenge myself in the process.

Fears. I hate to admit it, but I'm a total cliche on this one. Imposter syndrome. 99% of the time I am the only woman at the table. 100% of the time I am the youngest person at the table by at least 10-15 years. I progressed up the hierarchy extremely quickly, and my confidence hasn't quite caught up to my position yet.

*shrug* Their life, their choice. I don't consider myself a workaholic, but I wouldn't be surprised if others see me that way. I'm willing to put in the longer hours because the financial rewards are worth it. If they no longer balance out, I'll put in fewer hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts