Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think people actually care enough to stop it?

Plant Ecoregion Plant community Vertebrate Natural landscape

World Organism Font Astronomical object Galaxy

• Sad
Reactions: Electra

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Definitely not, because 1. everybody likes convenience (all the underlying infrastructure that supports modern living), and 2. a lot of people have the "it's not gonna happen in my lifetime anyway" sort of an attitude. Also, 3. although a chunk of responsibility lies with an individual, the worst offenders (heavy industry etc.) care even less.

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be very inconvenient:

Product Font Advertising Brand Design

Atmosphere Photograph Ecoregion World Light

Product Font Happy Elbow Slope

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Daytime Ecoregion

Font Violet Magenta Screenshot Sky

Sky Cloud People in nature Flash photography Shorts

Font Magenta Parallel Number Screenshot

Attachments

Reactions: Functianalyst

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely not, because 1. everybody likes convenience (all the underlying infrastructure that supports modern living), and 2. a lot of people have the "it's not gonna happen in my lifetime anyway" sort of an attitude. Also, 3. although a chunk of responsibility lies with an individual, the worst offenders (heavy industry etc.) care even less.
To be honest, I am also not sure if this is “my battle.” 😂 I am considering a job offer related to this issue.

Reactions: Electra

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Of course it will be inconvenient, just not for the current generations. It's a matter of selfishness and short-sightedness, the point #2 - "it's not gonna happen in my lifetime anyway".

It's very hard to slow it down though, and practically impossible to stop it completely, because radical changes in habits and behavior are required. The only way that could be pulled off (a slim chance at that) is through government enforcement, which in turn would most definitely lead to social unrest (and worse) because, like I said, poeple wouldn't be willing to give up all the conveniences. I am quite pessimistic when it comes to this and I think that it'll only get worse. I'm afraid that the future generations will have no choice but to try and live in hellish conditions.

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course it will be inconvenient, just not for the current generations. It's a matter of selfishness and short-sightedness, the point #2 - "it's not gonna happen in my lifetime anyway".

It's very hard to slow it down though, and practically impossible to stop it completely, because radical changes in habits and behavior are required. The only way that could be pulled off (a slim chance at that) is through government enforcement, which in turn would most definitely lead to social unrest (and worse) because, like I said, poeple wouldn't be willing to give up all the conveniences. I am quite pessimistic when it comes to this and I think that it'll only get worse. I'm afraid that the future generations will have no choice but to try and live in hellish conditions.
I think estimations are 1.5 for 2026 and 2 C for 2030, that’s very close.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
I think estimations are 1.5 for 2026 and 2 C for 2030, that’s very close.
Personally, I feel like it's +5°C every year 😂 Each summer feels less bearable than the previous one.

If that data is accurate, than that makes everything much worse. Hopefully I'll die before that happens 😂 Again, radical changes would have to be made in that case, and I really don't see how it would work - imagine a car owner (1, 2, 3 cars, whatever): a) being told by the government that the gas prices are now 10 times higher, and how they should use public transport from now on; b) private means of transport are banned, period (not counting those that don't produce emissions such as bicycles). Not slowly conditioned to give up on the idea of owning a car, but being told to do so immediately because a catastrophe is right around the corner. Knowing people, I doubt that more than 10% would be OK with it. Furthemore, nobody would feel inclined to follow these hypothetical regulations when it's been proven in the past that those who'd put them in effect didn't lead by example (a random politician who keeps yelling about climate change, but doesn't mind using a government jet to travel around).

Not to mention all the factories in China. China would never ever shut those down because their entire economy depends on them, and in turn the rest of the world depends on them too for all the shiny devices they make because I hev tu hev muh iphone (so the responsibility is both on the manufacturer and the consumers, neither willing to change).

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Difficult thinking exercise because the effects aren't immediate.

Also, only a small percentage of people can 'afford' to care for global issues since we tend to prioritize our own survival (read: socio-economic well being).

It will be very inconvenient
Al Gore tried 15 years ago.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Also, only a small percentage of people can 'afford' to care for global issues since we tend to prioritize our own survival (read: socio-economic well being).
This reminds me of the fact that recycled products are more expensive than their "non-green" counterparts. I understand that recycling is expensive, but an average person will go with what they can afford. Only those who are well off financially are able to go full green. When large companies put green products in their portfolios it's mostly so they can claim to be environmentally conscious on social media, but the bulk of their products are still made traditionally and they are their main source of income.

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Can we stop classing over population and liking of easy lifestyle as "climate change".

Look, the sooner the planet heats up and wipes out a majority of humans, the sooner it can cool down again. Just COVID lockdown improved everything for natural wildlife. Mammals dying is because we kill them off so we can build more factories and homes for our ever increasing population.

Maybe if we went back to small tribes and hunter gatherer, only taking from nature what we need, maybe we wouldn't be in this pickle.

But if I get a goldfish tank and just keep adding fish and more fish, sooner or later they will die off.

· Registered
ENTJ 8w7
2,393 Posts
Not yet. But they will care, willingly or not.
Everyone knows how bad it is, but, as long as they have a choice to go back to their cozy familiar lifestyle, nothing will change.

Maybe more motivation is needed, something that will make it feel more relevant.
Like cute alarm clocks that will say something like this :
"Good morning! During your sleep you inhaled X mount of PM2.5 particles, y% of which were composed from lead and few other heavy metals. Your estimated lifespan just got shorter by 1.3 months and a risk of developing an early dementia was raised by z% percents! Have a beautiful new day! {upbeat cheerful music starts playing}"

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can we stop classing over population and liking of easy lifestyle as "climate change".

Look, the sooner the planet heats up and wipes out a majority of humans, the sooner it can cool down again. Just COVID lockdown improved everything for natural wildlife. Mammals dying is because we kill them off so we can build more factories and homes for our ever increasing population.

Maybe if we went back to small tribes and hunter gatherer, only taking from nature what we need, maybe we wouldn't be in this pickle.

But if I get a goldfish tank and just keep adding fish and more fish, sooner or later they will die off.
One interesting consequence is that climate change directly affects the likelihood of future virus variants ( epidemics like covid are becoming much more likely).

I don’t personally mind the virus that much, but human behavior was really scary during the pandemic.

Maybe a good motivation with clear impact.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
"Good morning! During your sleep you inhaled X mount of PM2.5 particles, y% of which were composed from lead and few other heavy metals. Your estimated lifespan just got shorter by 1.3 months and a risk of developing an early dementia was raised by z% percents! Have a beautiful new day! {upbeat cheerful music starts playing}"
An average person won't care about any of that. In the past, there had been numerous warnings about all the hazards of inhaling tobacco smoke, barely anyone cared (among the smoking population, that is). It was only curbed (and even then, not 100%) once taxes were raised and smoking in public was prohibited for the most part, and even then, people found ways around it (roll your own).

for the record, I'm a hypocrite because I'm a smoker 🙃

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not yet. But they will care, willingly or not.
Everyone knows how bad it is, but, as long as they have a choice to go back to their cozy familiar lifestyle, nothing will change.

Maybe more motivation is needed, something that will make it feel more relevant.
Like cute alarm clocks that will say something like this :
It’s very dystopian, I like it; it can also be followed by 3-5 people in black uniforms coming to your apartment early in the morning to check your recycling efficiency and other green habits.

• Helpful
Reactions: Allostasis

· Registered
6,994 Posts

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No. Corps likely see this as a problem for another generation and we're happy to let inertia talk in our stead.

We will care when we can't hide from the consequences anymore
Corps?

But maybe we learned something from the covid crisis.

· Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

AI solutions for climate change:

Remove all human activity 😅🤓

It is why we are both good and bad, it was probably always like this (in history). But now it’s kind of unpredictable and potentially irreversible consequences.

· Registered
6,994 Posts
Corps?

But maybe we learned something from the covid crisis.
We learned our governments will downplay potential pandemics and other such disasters just to keep the economy going.

Corps= corporations.

The ones selling green alternatives to individuals at a fat markup while lobbying against anything that would force them to mind their footprint.

· Registered
ENTJ
549 Posts
Lmaonade. They don't even care about fucking their livers, pancreases, hearts, nor brains. People fight lung cancer and keep smoking. The ape can pool resources, but only for an immediate reward.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts