Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think people actually care enough to stop it?

Plant Ecoregion Plant community Vertebrate Natural landscape

World Organism Font Astronomical object Galaxy

• Sad
Reactions: Electra

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be very inconvenient:

Product Font Advertising Brand Design

Atmosphere Photograph Ecoregion World Light

Product Font Happy Elbow Slope

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Daytime Ecoregion

Font Violet Magenta Screenshot Sky

Sky Cloud People in nature Flash photography Shorts

Font Magenta Parallel Number Screenshot

Attachments

Reactions: Functianalyst

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely not, because 1. everybody likes convenience (all the underlying infrastructure that supports modern living), and 2. a lot of people have the "it's not gonna happen in my lifetime anyway" sort of an attitude. Also, 3. although a chunk of responsibility lies with an individual, the worst offenders (heavy industry etc.) care even less.
To be honest, I am also not sure if this is “my battle.” 😂 I am considering a job offer related to this issue.

Reactions: Electra

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course it will be inconvenient, just not for the current generations. It's a matter of selfishness and short-sightedness, the point #2 - "it's not gonna happen in my lifetime anyway".

It's very hard to slow it down though, and practically impossible to stop it completely, because radical changes in habits and behavior are required. The only way that could be pulled off (a slim chance at that) is through government enforcement, which in turn would most definitely lead to social unrest (and worse) because, like I said, poeple wouldn't be willing to give up all the conveniences. I am quite pessimistic when it comes to this and I think that it'll only get worse. I'm afraid that the future generations will have no choice but to try and live in hellish conditions.
I think estimations are 1.5 for 2026 and 2 C for 2030, that’s very close.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can we stop classing over population and liking of easy lifestyle as "climate change".

Look, the sooner the planet heats up and wipes out a majority of humans, the sooner it can cool down again. Just COVID lockdown improved everything for natural wildlife. Mammals dying is because we kill them off so we can build more factories and homes for our ever increasing population.

Maybe if we went back to small tribes and hunter gatherer, only taking from nature what we need, maybe we wouldn't be in this pickle.

But if I get a goldfish tank and just keep adding fish and more fish, sooner or later they will die off.
One interesting consequence is that climate change directly affects the likelihood of future virus variants ( epidemics like covid are becoming much more likely).

I don’t personally mind the virus that much, but human behavior was really scary during the pandemic.

Maybe a good motivation with clear impact.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not yet. But they will care, willingly or not.
Everyone knows how bad it is, but, as long as they have a choice to go back to their cozy familiar lifestyle, nothing will change.

Maybe more motivation is needed, something that will make it feel more relevant.
Like cute alarm clocks that will say something like this :
"Good morning! During your sleep you inhaled X mount of PM2.5 particles, y% of which were composed from lead and few other heavy metals. Your estimated lifespan just got shorter by 1.3 months and a risk of developing an early dementia was raised by z% percents! Have a beautiful new day! {upbeat cheerful music starts playing}"
It’s very dystopian, I like it; it can also be followed by 3-5 people in black uniforms coming to your apartment early in the morning to check your recycling efficiency and other green habits.

• Helpful
Reactions: Allostasis

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
No. Corps likely see this as a problem for another generation and we're happy to let inertia talk in our stead.

We will care when we can't hide from the consequences anymore
Corps?

But maybe we learned something from the covid crisis.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can we stop classing over population and liking of easy lifestyle as "climate change".

Look, the sooner the planet heats up and wipes out a majority of humans, the sooner it can cool down again. Just COVID lockdown improved everything for natural wildlife. Mammals dying is because we kill them off so we can build more factories and homes for our ever increasing population.

Maybe if we went back to small tribes and hunter gatherer, only taking from nature what we need, maybe we wouldn't be in this pickle.

But if I get a goldfish tank and just keep adding fish and more fish, sooner or later they will die off.
AI solutions for climate change:

Remove all human activity 😅🤓

It is why we are both good and bad, it was probably always like this (in history). But now it’s kind of unpredictable and potentially irreversible consequences.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes for the “change “, but the global warming trend doesn’t look good:

Azure Organism Font Parallel Slope

Water Rectangle Font Parallel City

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just wanna remind everyone that global warming or w/e only gradually speeds up the process, it doesn't solve the issue as planets have a natural cycle of environmental issues without any human intervention. Venus use to be like Earth, look at it now. All the ice ages etc that Earth has gone through, none of it were related to humans.
I think climate scientists are aware of the natural cycles, and also of the negative additional effects of emissions. In epidemiology we had many useful models before covid (they were ignored) that would be very helpful. So it’s not a good idea to repeat the same “anti-science” mistake with every crisis.

Climate action scenarios I saw (so far, I am not an expert on the topic) are mostly about removing the negative action, it’s could be called “re-action” for climate change, because it’s all human factor.

Reactions: secondpassing

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I don't believe any of this climate change crap anymore and this is why.
It always leads to "Remove all human activity" aka depopulation.
Call me a conspiracist all you want, I won't support any movement that can support this.
This particular post was sarcastic/ joke. I don’t think we should remove all humans literally.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Extreme weather scenarios, not that optimistic views:

glimpse2-5 – 2052.info

In June 1992 heads of state from 108 nations, delegations from 172 countries, and 2,400 nongovernmental organizations gathered in Rio de Janeiro for the first “Earth Summit.” They established the historic UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) —a formal international treaty that went into full force in March 1994. It is the treaty within which international climate negotiations and protocols take place—involving the 194 nations that have ratified the convention. The UNFCCC sets forth a framework for addressing climate change, and its central goal is stabilization of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system. Such a level should be achieved within a time frame sufficient to allow ecosystems to adapt naturally to climate change, to ensure that food production is not threatened, and to enable economic development to proceed in a sustainable manner.
Since 1994, the UNFCCC has hosted sixteen Conferences of the Parties (COP) and succeeded in agreeing on a number of protocols, like the Kyoto protocol, and other formal agreements. The most recent were COP 15 in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 2009, COP 16 in Cancun, Mexico, in 2010, and COP 17 in Durban, South Africa, at the end of 2011.

The objective of the COP meetings is to negotiate an agreement to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions. As part of the negotiations, the 194 participating nations have periodically made public their current goals for emissions reductions and related climate change actions.

These 194 publicly available goals are tracked by a number of organizations and provide a possible starting point if one wants to forecast future emissions and the resulting global climate change.

In the following I describe the consequences if the current 194 national emissions-reduction goals were implemented.

This may well describe the climate situation in 2052, although I hope not."

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You don't, but some people do, in various ways and at various speeds...I used to line up with this way of thinking as a kid and teen.
People have much worse behavior than animals towards environment, it’s similar to parasitic behavior, which is not expected considering our intelligence level. So, AI program giving this answer (remove all humans) is only partly joke, because it could seem as a feasible solution to AI who optimizes the well-being of the planet.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Humans are destroying the environment and causing mass extinctions, to what degree this will affect the whole biological balance and the outside world, who knows?

But some have faith in their politicians or leaders, these people are just psychopaths. We are going to have food shortages and then water shortages, Biden already said about food, this may cause mass migrations.

Also a criticism of climate theories is that they only talk about the problems but have no real solution, we have very little oil and it will only go up in price, the best thing to do is to make the energy change without affecting the social fabric.

The truth is that if we lower the consumption of oil and other types of energy everything falls apart, and poverty explodes.
If you want to eliminate poverty and save the climate, invent a type of clean energy that everyone can access cheaply, and not that Marxist religion.
In academic community many think that the solution is through smart (green & sustainable) investing, i.e. through financial actions. It makes sense because the corporations are the one who started the issue of emissions - I think top 100 companies are the biggest polluters, not individual people/cities, although I am not sure about the numbers.

Reactions: superloco3000

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I don't believe in forcing the population to follow a totally uncertain path to madness.
There is not enough metals to achieve the renewable utopia, I am not going to follow a plan that will send millions into poverty and starvation, we still need oil.

I trust the earth, she has been much worse.

The problem is when science starts to think it can "improve society", for politicians and various tyrants science ends up being used for evil plans, imagine if all the money spent on defense was used for other purposes?, and now you see with total clarity that geo-political problems are children fighting.

All those who think of designing society only create poverty and misery.
How is defense connected to science?

Democracy votes politicians, who then decide on how to use scientific results. I thought this was crystal clear during covid.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts