Personality Cafe banner

Climate change scenarios

2010 49
Do you think people actually care enough to stop it?

Plant Ecoregion Plant community Vertebrate Natural landscape

World Organism Font Astronomical object Galaxy
  • Sad
Reactions: Electra
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
I mean yes... The money should flow into research and infrastructure creation.

But that is very difficult, the Wall Street crooks and the Fed have created this Ponzi scheme, now it is easier to swindle people with inflation than to find a real solution.

I don't have much faith in the state either, you might as well buying some solar panels and buying shares in a company in this field.
In academic community many think that the solution is through smart (green & sustainable) investing, i.e. through financial actions. It makes sense because the corporations are the one who started the issue of emissions - I think top 100 companies are the biggest polluters, not individual people/cities, although I am not sure about the numbers.
Physicist in me really likes this idea of individual- and system-level behaviour change: Climate change and human behaviour - Nature Human Behaviour

Also, system level thinking and why it is important ♥ Ask an MIT Professor: What Is System Thinking and Why Is It Important? | Open Learning
I don't believe in forcing the population to follow a totally uncertain path to madness.
There is not enough metals to achieve the renewable utopia, I am not going to follow a plan that will send millions into poverty and starvation, we still need oil.

I trust the earth, she has been much worse.

The problem is when science starts to think it can "improve society", for politicians and various tyrants science ends up being used for evil plans, imagine if all the money spent on defense was used for other purposes?, and now you see with total clarity that geo-political problems are children fighting.

All those who think of designing society only create poverty and misery.
Physicist in me really likes this idea of individual- and system-level behaviour change: Climate change and human behaviour - Nature Human Behaviour

Also, system level thinking and why it is important ♥ Ask an MIT Professor: What Is System Thinking and Why Is It Important? | Open Learning
How is defense connected to science?

Democracy votes politicians, who then decide on how to use scientific results. I thought this was crystal clear during covid.
I don't believe in forcing the population to follow a totally uncertain path to madness.
There is not enough metals to achieve the renewable utopia, I am not going to follow a plan that will send millions into poverty and starvation, we still need oil.

I trust the earth, she has been much worse.

The problem is when science starts to think it can "improve society", for politicians and various tyrants science ends up being used for evil plans, imagine if all the money spent on defense was used for other purposes?, and now you see with total clarity that geo-political problems are children fighting.

please, having the best military technology makes you more powerful, there is a war between U.S. and China in obtaining chips.

The covid was nothing but fiscal profligacy, just look at who got richer and poorer to see that, and inflation... yeah the biggest scam in history.

I don't see how these totalitarian ideas can create economic growth
How is defense connected to science?

Democracy votes politicians, who then decide on how to use scientific results. I thought this was crystal clear during covid.
Reactions: recycled_lube_oil
If you want my prediction: it is going bad, with + 2°C or more. And this basically because of personality types and their distribution in the general population.

The problem is simply that the vast majority are S-Types and as such are really bad in long-term planning and even more in achieving long-term goals. That is, when you have a democracy, which is basically Collectivism, the will of the majority. If you have any kind of authoritarian regime, it is even worse, because those in power usually think of their own personal gain and security first, then that of their family, and last their minions.

Oh, it was absolutely possible to avoid the really bad consequences of climate change, if you made a global plan for conversion to renewable and nuclear energy - thirty years ago. And for the whole world with everyone participating. And limiting the worldwide population to a sustainable number while dealing with the loss of workforce through said reducing (the Chinese for example are going to get real problems in 2050 when their numbers decrease from a billion to 550 million).

Now, thirty years are wasted and the necessary steps are much steeper, with more cost. And there will be no leadership in any part of the world which is burdening themselves with high costs and harsh conditions now whose impacts need decades to get visible. Even in a country like Germany where the political will was "going sustainable" the rulers are chickening out when the gas is stopping to flow. Consequent would be a strict saving program and restarting the existing nuclear reactors, but because of public protest, they instead buy gas from somewhere else and spend a ton of money to artificially reduce the price. And shut down the reactors anyway because it was promised to a part of the voters.

Just look at the US: as a rule, the will of the majority changes every two years, the ruling party loses on the midterms because the majority is dissatisfied with said ruling. And how the hell can you implement a plan which needs consequent and subsequent actions for decades when it is not possible to politically survive more than two years?

There are some parts of some democracies who see the consequences and are willing to follow the unavoidable path, but not nearly enough to enforce said path. And you would need to enforce it worldwide, even on countries like Russia, China or India which have a lot lof military might.

The world as a whole will survive. It is going to be a mass-extinction event in combination with wars and mass-migration, but that is not something new. You need vastly more to purge earth of all life.
Reactions: fading_shadows
lol how do you like those roads you use every day?

City planning, designed society, shock horror.
It depends if the question is philosophical or more pragmatic.

In reality my criticism about the design of society is when everything has to be regulated, the most perverse example is the case of the CBDC (already being implemented in a certain way in the U.S., Europe, China and other countries), basically your government and central banks will know everything you do with your money and will be able to take you out of the system as they see fit.

It also depends on the reality of each country, for example in the case of Argentina public construction is a robbery where corrupt businessmen and politicians benefit.

Basically the world is giving too much power to the state, and the population is getting poorer and poorer.

But everything depends on the context, there are certain minarchist ideas that I like such as reducing the public debt without affecting the social fabric, but politicians should have their salaries lowered, they are totally useless.

And there is some pretty big evidence that the more you try to control a society the poorer it gets, especially when you look at the monetary system.

It all depends.
lol how do you like those roads you use every day?

City planning, designed society, shock horror.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts