Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this guy who I'm pretty sure is an ISFP. He took the test too but his personality doesn't seem to match the description. Of course I'm aware not every person of a certain type will act the same way, MBTI can only go so far. Still as someone only different from me by one letter, we seem quite different. He claims that we have some sort of a deep connection, we're meant to be super close but I've never felt the same. Although he's very open minded, sweet and caring, he also tends to be very clingy. He seems to get really upset when I need some alone time, this is very confusing to me since he scores really high on introversion so in theory should understand my need for alone time. Its very frustrating particularly when we're having some sort of conflict, my natural reaction is to take some time to reflect on the problem and think through my emotions, whereas he keeps insisting that we talk about it and solve the issue immediately. He's way too oversenstive as well, its hard having a decent conversation without getting him hurt. I'm oversensitive too but atleast think before expressing my emotions. He also tends to be somewhat of an attention whore and emotionally manipulative, he sort of specializes in guilt tripping. He doesn't seem to act like this with everyone though only the people he's close to, the one's with whom he can be his "true self". Can anyone relate? Is this common for ISFPs or is he just immature?
In general though, I think ISFPs are awesome, the ISFPs here seem very insightful and independent, that's why I'm having more of a hard time understanding his behaviour. Sorry for the bad english, not my first language.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I think he is either an unhealthy person or not an ISFP. He can be an INxJ, I guess, or he is emotionally over-dependent on you.

"Emotionally manipulative, attention whore" don't sound ISFP to me, or it's unhealthy

"He keeps insisting that we talk about it and solve the issue immediately" also doesn't sound ISFP-ish to me but someone with Fe. Like you, I prefer having some time to reflect on problems and think through emotions, and I usually avoid talking about them, especially not face-to-face and not immediately. I tend to find other ways to act on it or communicate it a while later.

Claiming to have some sort of a deep connection sounds like someone with Ni, but I am not sure about it.

Reactions: BleaK

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think he is either an unhealthy person or not an ISFP. He can be an INxJ, I guess, or he is emotionally over-dependent on you.

"Emotionally manipulative, attention whore" don't sound ISFP to me, or it's unhealthy

"He keeps insisting that we talk about it and solve the issue immediately" also doesn't sound ISFP-ish to me but someone with Fe. Like you, I prefer having some time to reflect on problems and think through emotions, and I usually avoid talking about them, especially not face-to-face and not immediately. I tend to find other ways to act on it or communicate it a while later.

Claiming to have some sort of a deep connection sounds like someone with Ni, but I am not sure about it.
I was thinking the same thing.

He doesn't sound like an ISFP at all. Attention whore, emotional manipulation, guilt-tripping doesnt sound very ISFP. The last two especially sounds like traits of an Fe user, no offense to Fe users.

My ESFJ mom and two ESTPs i know guilt trip me all the time through emotional manipulation and it annoys the hell out of me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lol I have been there. I have guilt tripped my ex so many times, he probably thinks I indeed am an attention whore and I have lied to him so he would be with me.

But that was when I was fifteen. I have long gotten over that unhealthy phase.

·
Registered
839 Posts
When I haven't had enough social interaction I feel like I can be clingy. Sometimes I feel super close to people though I am not sure they feel the same way, but I don't usually tell them. The rest of the things don't really sound ISFP though. And the first two may just be me.

Reactions: gwenzilla

·
Banned
314 Posts
IDK, this actually does sound like an ISFP I know. He is an introvert, but when it came to me, he would get offended when I didn't want to spend every waking minute together. For an extrovert, I have a lot of need to be alone, or at least free from feeling fettered by others. He also came across as manipulative at times, but I don't think that was intentional. From his perspective, he had feelings that he was trying to get across so that was his main focus.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used to notice that in relationships, I was always very clingy and got really hurt when people stopped talking to me for whatever reason.
I felt like I had to open up about my problems, but at the same time I felt like I didn't deserve anyone's attention.
Pretty much everything I said was contradicting, it seems that my friends knew me better than I did myself.
Only now, almost a year later, I noticed that I was being really clingy and manipulative, I tried to make it seem like I was worried in others when I wanted some attention myself.
Realizing this feels bad, but at least now I am more mindful of my motives and act accordingly, if I know I'm sad and want someone to comfort me, I won't try to manipulate them to do it, I'll just be honest.
Additional info: been diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder and borderline personality disorder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts