Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! :) Newbie here! I was doing some reading about MBTI and Jungian functions (along with Enneagram and other ways to type personalities). And it suddenly hit me, what about Split?

As in the movie, the sequel of Unbreakable. (Really great movie) The confusing thing for me was, there were 24 personalities inside one person. Isn't that just amazing, I believe that this can happen to anyone, without you knowing it.

Spoiler Alert!

If you haven't guessed it already, it's something called Dissociative Identity Disorder, DID for short. Basically the "studied and proven" version of the mainstreamed Multiple Personality Disorder. And it is possible for people to have up to 24 personality, but it is extremely rare.

So the question that's bugging me all this while is, do the personalities repeat? Can anyone see how some personalities relate to each other? Or are they all different? Because even Enneagram don't have enough types to differentiate all of them into one single category.

Or maybe every single one of Kevin's alters share the same personality, but basing off of the Jungian functions, all of them have a different age, thus using different functions on every personality.

Any opinions on this? I'm very eager to know what are your thoughts on this, and do correct me if I'm wrong. :) And I mean no harm to spoil the movie for anyone at all. :heart:

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I loved Unbreakable and didn't know about the sequel, so I'm glad that you mentioned it.

I don't think that Myers-Briggs theory was intended or designed to be used for people who have severe mental disturbances (such as DID), and I doubt that anyone (except maybe an experienced psychologist who's worked with the patient for a long time) could accurately type that sort of person.

Given that dysfunction in the personality is an integral aspect of the Enneagram types, I expect that you'd have better luck typing a mentally disturbed person according to the Enneagram system, but I still doubt the possibility of typing given a condition as serious as DID (especially given a large number of personalities).

I'm not sure that the multiple personalities associated with DID actually are personalities in the same sense of the word implied by the various theories of personality. If they are a different sort of personality, then typing them according to the Enneagram and other theories of personality may not even make sense.

For example, several of the Enneagram books include idea that we develop in childhood the coping mechanisms that underlie the nine types (I don't know whether that is part of the original Enneagram theory). As far as I know, it's possible to develop DID after this period of childhood, which suggests that such DID-related personalities don't have the necessary background to even develop an Enneagram type.

Or maybe they all have the same background: the original personality of the person with DID, just branched off in different directions. Or split up into different partial personalities.

If you include subtypes and/or levels of health, the Enneagram does indeed have enough types to accommodate someone with DID such that all the personalities would have different types.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts