Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know what I hate more than anything?

People who are ignorant, close minded. Closeted.

For example, I have a friend of a certain faith who can't take any religious criticism at all; even merely stating - as fact - that religion (in general) has been used to exploit people gets them defensive.

If I say something nice about religion, she instantly agrees with me.

If I say something bad about religion, she instantly disagrees with me.

It's always said in the exact same tone of voice.

...this annoys me. You aren't thinking, you're just spewing ideology which was indoctrinated into you as a child. You should criticize your religion and strive to understand where there is logical inconsistency - I believe not doing so is what makes you a poor Christian, not the other way around.

Do close-minded and/or judgmental people/behavior inherently piss you off? I know it annoys me deeply.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes. Yes it does annoy me greatly.

I think the phrase that often annoys me most is "just because it is". And when people openly refuse to accept that there even could be another truth contrary to theirs, well that's often the last straw. I just don't understand it, why not think about it? Are you that insecure that thinking about something seems like the end of the world to you? Or is it that you've convinced yourself that you've thought about this and have come up with a truth that I can't deny? Because that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, a fact/truth that is infallibly logical. You're doing yourself a disservice by remaining to be stupid and you're doing others around you a disservice by being potentially volatile in your close-mindedness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for things like people believing in god. If it makes them happy and it isn't hurting anyone else, let them have it. My problem is when you think you know you are right.

You know what, my actual problem is just when people are jerks. I'm going to be quiet now :p

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The two things that piss me of most about people is:
1. Willful ignorance
2. Close-mindedness

There are other annoying things, but they're the main ones. If your opinion or belief can't stand up to reasonable scrutiny, then you shouldn't complain when it is questioned.

That said I see the phrase close-mindedness thrown around by too many people, for some reason people seem to think that intolerant beliefs are close-minded, beliefs themselves can't be close-minded, only the people who hold them can be. I just thought I'd add that as it also annoys me.:laughing:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, this is problem for me on a daily basis. I have a very good friend who I argue with at least four or five times a day. I think she maybe is an ISxJ and we argue about EVERYTHING. Even when I disprove her, she still doesn't even bother to think about the validity of my argument, let alone change her mind. Frustrating, but amusing.

Today, we argued about inherited culture. I merely observed that she seemed very proud of her Irish roots because of her aesthetic appearance (red hair, green eyes, freckles, the whole shebang) despite never having been to the country and only being a quarter Irish. I remarked on it because she is always going on and on about her Irish-ness along with celtic knots and celtic symbols and whatnot. The remark was spurred on by the fact that she is also dominantly half Swiss and never mentioned it until today, leading me to believe she was full Irish. It was only meant to be a mild observation on my part but she went on the defensive and we argued about it for the rest of the lunch period. I believe I proved my point. She believes she won because she said so, naturally.

My father is also very hard-headed. But at least it's not about anything major like religious views, as he surprisingly seems to grant me freedom in those regards.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yes, close-minded people definitely irritate me. It also really irritates me is when people pull out the Christianity has been used to exploit people card, to prove that somehow automatically makes its false. That's terrible logic, and it aggravates me to no end. Not that I'm pointing fingers at you Falling Leaves. Your conversation just reminded me of that. I'm a Christian who actually avoids other Christians though. They can be so freakin illogical and irritating

·
Banned
701 Posts
I am a bit close-minded about some topics because I consider knowing enough about them to give pretty confident judgments about new things that relate to them. It's a short and convenient way of dealing with everyday's stuff, as long as you don't abuse it and as you consent to be proved wrong when you are. but real close-mindedness is indeed very annoying. Especially what I'd call close-mindedness disguised as open-mindedness, which I have witnessed among some christians.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Do close-minded and/or judgmental people/behavior inherently piss you off? I know it annoys me deeply.
No, they amuse me - alternatively I make them humor me.

Quite frankly however, not the kind of person I'd hang around with frequently. Fortunately chances are that such person wouldn't want to in the first place, as such it ain't even my issue! :mellow:

Inevitably most of us are close-minded however, just some more than others. True perspective and contentedness knows no bitterness or judgment - it just isn't human's first nature - last but not least because we're all inclined to look for causal explanation supported by our experiences first and foremost.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,665 Posts
Agree with the video above. Totally depends on the situation.

Often times people who have zero working knowledge of anything can only counter with telling you to be more ''open minded'' when they're blatantly wrong about something.

l typically dodge subjects that would prove me decidedly open or narrow minded with people l don't have a good communication style with. With those that l do, anything can be discussed, several viewpoints can be considered and it is unlikely that any of us will call one another narrow minded or ''wrong''.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, close-minded people definitely irritate me. It also really irritates me is when people pull out the Christianity has been used to exploit people card, to prove that somehow automatically makes its false. That's terrible logic, and it aggravates me to no end. Not that I'm pointing fingers at you Falling Leaves. Your conversation just reminded me of that. I'm a Christian who actually avoids other Christians though. They can be so freakin illogical and irritating
Oh, don't get me wrong, I consider atheists who don't allow others their beliefs to be just as igorant. And, to contextualize it, it was said to illustrate how religion (IN GENERAL) can have negative aspects, not to make a blanket statement on any one particular faith.

But nope, because she is religious, she'll put her fingers in her ears and go 'lalalalalalalalalala', as if just the act of accepting religion instantly makes you a good person. It doesn't; many a time I've met Christians who believe they have instant moral superiority, are better people and more capable of giving love and support to others. Erm, whut?

To be honest, it's attitudes like those which meant priests could get away with molesting children.

Often times people who have zero working knowledge of anything can only counter with telling you to be more ''open minded'' when they're blatantly wrong about something.
Yeah, another thing which annoys me is when - in the absence of proof - people fall back on the 'well, you should be more open-minded' line.

Open-minded =/= blindly acepting of everything.

All it means is, rather than accepting or rejecting something right off the bat, you are willing to take a balanced, objective view of avaliable evidence and opinions surrounding it and then come to a conclusion, be it good or bad.

If anything, a person who condemns all medicine and buys homeopathic remedies by the bucketful (cuz you can't trust them pharmesootical companies, can you?) are closed-minded. If you want them for yourself, fine, but don't base your love on them entirely on your inability to understand how modern medicine works - lest you come accross as a guillible fool.

Also, where you accept where big bad pharmaceutical companies have done shitty things, also accept that the homeopathic trade is guilty of the same - for example, plugging sugar pills to treat AIDs or malaria in Africa, which are proven not to work.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong, I consider atheists who don't allow others their beliefs to be just as igorant. And, to contextualize it, it was said to illustrate how religion (IN GENERAL) can have negative aspects, not to make a blanket statement on any one particular faith.

But nope, because she is religious, she'll put her fingers in her ears and go 'lalalalalalalalalala', as if just the act of accepting religion instantly makes you a good person. It doesn't; many a time I've met Christians who believe they have instant moral superiority, are better people and more capable of giving love and support to others. Erm, whut?

To be honest, it's attitudes like those which meant priests could get away with molesting children.

Yeah, another thing which annoys me is when - in the absence of proof - people fall back on the 'well, you should be more open-minded' line.

Open-minded =/= blindly acepting of everything.

All it means is, rather than accepting or rejecting something right off the bat, you are willing to take a balanced, objective view of avaliable evidence and opinions surrounding it and then come to a conclusion, be it good or bad.

If anything, a person who condemns all medicine and buys homeopathic remedies by the bucketful (cuz you can't trust them pharmesootical companies, can you?) are closed-minded. If you want them for yourself, fine, but don't base your love on them entirely on your inability to understand how modern medicine works - lest you come accross as a guillible fool.

Also, where you accept where big bad pharmaceutical companies have done shitty things, also accept that the homeopathic trade is guilty of the same - for example, plugging sugar pills to treat AIDs or malaria in Africa, which are proven not to work.
I trust no one. Most certainly not the pharmaceutical companies, but I don't exactly trust homeopathic remedies either. I was actually told by someone else that I was a close minded person. I was like "What!" That was after he went and basically told me he was always right....

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I trust no one. Most certainly not the pharmaceutical companies, but I don't exactly trust homeopathic remedies either. I was actually told by someone else that I was a close minded person. I was like "What!" That was after he went and basically told me he was always right....
I'd agree with you, in terms of there is a difference between "close-minded" versus "skeptical" and even versus "experienced." As someone gains more knowledge and experience, I don't think it's close-minded to weight some possibilities as less likely than others. There will always be an ambiguous area in one's knowledge of something, so open-minded means acknowledging that (IMO) and giving it it's due.

I suppose I would only label as close-minded people who will ignore evidence that disagress with them without having a clear reason for doing so, or who will ignore the ambiguity in their own beliefs and claim it to be more solid than it is...

Reactions: Arya
1 - 20 of 34 Posts