Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had (half of) an epiphany relating to my personal development. It seems that I have been blocking myself from feeling fear, which has led to an accumulation of bad habits and other maladaptive(mostly mental) traits. Now I am in the process of trying to let some of my fear flow so I can more accurately pinpoint the problems it is causing me.

Since NTs are usually known for being the most likely to forget about or actively neglect their emotions, I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

Do you close yourself off from feeling fear? Do you do it consistently? Has it backfired? Do you find yourself self-critical and non-accepting to the point of insanity? Etc.

If you have/had the same problem I do, what did you do about it to resolve it, and did it work?

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I am ENTP, and a rather analytical one at that. I am also 8/7.

Fear is a warning sign, like pain. When you feel pain, it is your body telling you something si wrong.
Fear is a warning that something is going to go wrong, and a way to amp up adrenaline.

Riding fear for the short term is good. Gives power.
Fear long term cannot be sustained. You must address it, or you will be crippled.
Writing this very post i am realizing I am crippled by a fear I need to analyze, but I have a good idea of what it is.

My fear relates to me being insufficient to be happy single. And I guess to a certain extent I am powerful enough to not need a woman to give me worth. I have wasted a lot of time looking for a special lady, and it is time to give up on that project.

That crippled cascades out to many parts of my life. And when i examine it, I find much of my life has been in neutral, ready to pick up where I left off, and move forward.

What is your fear related to?

Reactions: monemi

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am ENTP, and a rather analytical one at that. I am also 8/7.

Fear is a warning sign, like pain. When you feel pain, it is your body telling you something si wrong.
Fear is a warning that something is going to go wrong, and a way to amp up adrenaline.

Riding fear for the short term is good. Gives power.
Fear long term cannot be sustained. You must address it, or you will be crippled.
Writing this very post i am realizing I am crippled by a fear I need to analyze, but I have a good idea of what it is.

My fear relates to me being insufficient to be happy single. And I guess to a certain extent I am powerful enough to not need a woman to give me worth. I have wasted a lot of time looking for a special lady, and it is time to give up on that project.

That crippled cascades out to many parts of my life. And when i examine it, I find much of my life has been in neutral, ready to pick up where I left off, and move forward.

What is your fear related to?
Mostly social activities and a fear of failure in general. It has become so habitual, I just numb it and close it off.

I'm fairly sure this has caused a similar response in other areas: I have a general anhedonia, because of the habit, with most things.

The only things I have active interest in are the ones that I have to deal with immediately. Anything that stirs up adrenaline, I guess. My attention span is null.

Since there are a lot more feel-goods than adrenaline out there, I'd like to have access to those, too. At the moment I do not.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I just went and cyberstalked you on this site.

You seem to be struggling, and a long term poster.

I'm going to push on you a bit - tell me to shut up, and i will.
I think you are an emotionally wounded ENTP. I'd be curious to know how old you are - I'm 46, and @series0 is about the same.

You show huge signs of Ti and Ne, but you also show signs of Fe like I display it, and like he displays it.

Are you open to this possibility?

d

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
My only fear is that my efforts are wasted. That is in two senses. The audience for those efforts is usually unappreciative or unaware of what I bring to the table on the one hand, and what I choose to spend effort on is therefore of little value to me practically on the other hand.

The fear is crippling in that it is impossible to see my own effort, my own work as meaningful, if there is no 3rd party support for it. I know I should be sufficient unto myself and source myself from the truth and my message, but, for some awkward reason, it just doesn't work that way. Even though I have faith in what I am trying to do, in what I am trying to say, if others do not or will not, then the constant waves of doubt and pointlessness paralyze my motivation to be complete, to be refined, to truly deliver.

That fear is involved in everything. But it is most easily understood in terms of relationships. To family, friends, employers, and girlfriends. I live in a state of approaching a ledge. In truth, I have never been more at ease with my life, and yet never less successful in the traditional sense. I have never been closer to constant ruin, and yet never so grateful for what I do have. I don't know if there is any other way I can BE now.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
My only fear is that my efforts are wasted. That is in two senses. The audience for those efforts is usually unappreciative or unaware of what I bring to the table on the one hand, and what I choose to spend effort on is therefore of little value to me practically on the other hand.
Yes. I invented a system to make vehicle fuel for 40 cents a gallon, commercially. No one cares.

what is the point to my existence?

Am I John Galt?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went and cyberstalked you on this site.

You seem to be struggling, and a long term poster.

I'm going to push on you a bit - tell me to shut up, and i will.
I think you are an emotionally wounded ENTP. I'd be curious to know how old you are - I'm 46, and @series0 is about the same.

You show huge signs of Ti and Ne, but you also show signs of Fe like I display it, and like he displays it.

Are you open to this possibility?

d
Ah, yeah, in my recent type me thread, INFJ was latched onto as a possibility because of Fe. I am open to being ENTP, though. I am 22.

@series0

That fear sounds a lot like a fear I usually have about any work I do. It is also very hard to get someone's truth to align with your own. I feel a bit stifled in this aspect, as I am in school and supposed to be focusing on studying instead of chasing down possibilities. As far as (most of) my professors are concerned, the answer has already been found. Research papers are god and inspired writing is a demon that should be killed with fire(or water, depending on what you kill a demon with).

Your last paragraph echoes why I've been at ease since I was roughly 16. I have a fear of toeing the line, walking straight at failure, even though it seems to be the thing I need in order to feel alive.

@Calvin

Was your decision made via a series of situational decisions, or a personal realization? Do you mind talking about what brought you to that point?

·
Banned
618 Posts
Ah, yeah, in my recent type me thread, INFJ was latched onto as a possibility because of Fe. I am open to being ENTP, though. I am 22.

@series0

That fear sounds a lot like a fear I usually have about any work I do. It is also very hard to get someone's truth to align with your own. I feel a bit stifled in this aspect, as I am in school and supposed to be focusing on studying instead of chasing down possibilities. As far as (most of) my professors are concerned, the answer has already been found. Research papers are god and inspired writing is a demon that should be killed with fire(or water, depending on what you kill a demon with).

Your last paragraph echoes why I've been at ease since I was roughly 16. I have a fear of toeing the line, walking straight at failure, even though it seems to be the thing I need in order to feel alive.

@Calvin

Was your decision made via a series of situational decisions, or a personal realization? Do you mind talking about what brought you to that point?
Of course, forgive my lack of clarity. It was the result of a long intellectual journey through philosophy. I used to be afraid of determinism, thinking that my life had already been planned out, and that other people were inherently better than me. It was awful. I was always terrified that "fate had decided" that I would be murdered by a serial killer, killed in a painful car accident, or eaten by a shark at sea. Laugh if you want to, but it was really painful. You'll laugh even more when I tell you how I got over it. The answer for me came in a simple Christian book, written some 120 years ago, which reduces the entire message of Christ to love for one's fellow man. Not only did the author show how distracting and silly doctrines are, but also shined a light on the hypocrisies of both philosophy and science, making fun of how they stumble around in circles in search for the "answer to life" while ignoring it completely. Like I said before, laugh if you want to, but brotherly love has changed my life for the better. To answer your question, you might say it was a personal realization.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have had (half of) an epiphany relating to my personal development. It seems that I have been blocking myself from feeling fear, which has led to an accumulation of bad habits and other maladaptive(mostly mental) traits. Now I am in the process of trying to let some of my fear flow so I can more accurately pinpoint the problems it is causing me.

Since NTs are usually known for being the most likely to forget about or actively neglect their emotions, I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

Do you close yourself off from feeling fear? Do you do it consistently? Has it backfired? Do you find yourself self-critical and non-accepting to the point of insanity? Etc.

If you have/had the same problem I do, what did you do about it to resolve it, and did it work?
No. Don't compartmentalize emotions. You don't be yourself and learn about yourself by trying to hide parts of yourself.

Observe that you're afraid. Recognize that you're afraid. Accept that you're afraid. Accept that it's ok to be afraid. Now you can deal with the issues surrounding why you're afraid.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
O. The answer for me came in a simple Christian book, written some 120 years ago, which reduces the entire message of Christ to love for one's fellow man. Not only did the author show how distracting and silly doctrines are, but also shined a light on the hypocrisies of both philosophy and science, making fun of how they stumble around in circles in search for the "answer to life" while ignoring it completely. Like I said before, laugh if you want to, but brotherly love has changed my life for the better. To answer your question, you might say it was a personal realization.
I read the book "The Bridge Across Forever" by Richard Bach when I was 23. Taught me to live my life the way I want to, and was written in the spirit of brotherly love, as seen by an ENTP.
Changed my life.

A big deal.

Atlas Shrugged I just finished. another momentous book in my life. Still digesting.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
?
Teens and early 20's really and truly sucked for me. Mid 20's on I was happier.

Fe is apparent in your writings, but it is overshadowed strongly by N and Ti.

all the cool people are ENTP's.

Reactions: tangosthenes

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
1,201 Posts
I will say this. Nearly every human being is scared of something. Anyone who says he or she isn't is either mentally ill or full of shit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.