Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many people on this forum code for hobby or for a living?

Tell me what you do and what codes you use. :happy:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I product manage Business Intelligence so a majority of language is SQL. I have some history with java, and I'm currently teaching myself Rails and Python.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
vba
vbscript
sql

basically anything that makes system admistration a little easier.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
C(++), Java, ASM, MySQL and PHP. Don't like ASM / PHP a lot though.

Though, while I liked programming during school (always had A's) I always lacked too much knowledge for my own projects, or creativity, without having the drive to get into it or overcome my walls.

I may be trying for it to become my job eventually, preferably Java / Databases (SQL), C(++) can be quite a bitch. Heard C# is like Java, so I'd be open for that, too.

Though, I typically get exhausted quick if I concentrate too much on programming, 8 hours a day seems brutal to make a living off of it, plus dependent on company it's more of a slave work than something enjoyable.

·
Registered
447 Posts
iPhone / iPad / Mac apps development as a hobby and for a living.

I've been coding Cocoa/Objective-C about 2 years. I would like to be independent, but I'm still learning and experimenting.
UX and design is not my best skill, which is important for this.

Something else would be backend development (this one is still a hobby). I'm still learning ruby or rails.
Also, I would look forward into HTML5, CSS, JS, and those stuff needed for a website front end.

·
Registered
94 Posts
C / C++, Java EE, PL-SQL, Python, PHP, BASH, Perl, JavaScript... pretty much whatever is not windoze.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
HTML/CSS, JS, PHP/MySQL.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This thread fascinates me. Just sayin'. I haven't learned coding yet though, although I want to soon..

·
Banned
605 Posts
In the past I have programmed in VB, Actionscript, C/C++, HTML/CSS, Python, and PHP/MySQL. At the moment, coding projects have been forced to the back burner. As soon as that changes, I'll be learning C# for game development in Unity3D. My other interest is in web community, and productivity, software but that is being replaced entirely by meeting the same needs in a 3D environment instead.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Does this mean some of you can update my website? :shocked: If so, I can do some sort of work exchange. I'm really tired of having to get into relationships every time I need updates. Hit me up if you can. That would make me oh so happy. :happy:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Does this mean some of you can update my website? :shocked: If so, I can do some sort of work exchange. I'm really tired of having to get into relationships every time I need updates. Hit me up if you can. That would make me oh so happy. :happy:
I'd love to but, sadly, I regret agreeing to do my current web project so obviously that would be a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
MSSQL/vb.NET, sometimes PHP/MySQL. Professional freelance. Getting away from Microsoft though, want to go all open source.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I already agreed to help you with this a while ago - offer still stands.

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
447 Posts
These days you could just use tumblr and they have various beautiful themes that you can use without coding.

If that's what you mean by website. Unless, you have complicated needs.

By the way, what does it mean: "getting into relationship" ?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
These days you could just use tumblr and they have various beautiful themes that you can use without coding.

If that's what you mean by website. Unless, you have complicated needs.

By the way, what does it mean: "getting into relationship" ?
Well my ex designed my website. And since then, I've been with men who have been able to update it for me. But none of them taught me and I don't have the time. It hurts my little artist head.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well my ex designed my website. And since then, I've been with men who have been able to update it for me. But none of them taught me and I don't have the time. It hurts my little artist head.
It's easier than you think. Everyone can do it.
Tumblr is my recommendation.

You can also get your own domain name, and set it up with tumblr or various other services using iwantmyname.

A little promotion there about iWantMyName.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
It's easier than you think. Everyone can do it.
Tumblr is my recommendation.

You can also get your own domain name, and set it up with tumblr or various other services using iwantmyname.

A little promotion there about iWantMyName.
I have my own domain name. And I've been with network solutions for years. Yeah..yeah...I know. I think my ex wrote me about some other program that will "free me" (He's ISTP lol). But I just need to update in the interim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts