1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been able to figure my cognitive functions probably include the following:

Ti - I like to read about interesting subjects and mull them over

Ne - I sometimes like to explore stuff and can often catastrophize

Si - Ever since I was little, I always desired stability, eating the same foods, listening to the same music, watching the same scenes, etc.

Fe - Had lots of bad temper tantrums as a kid, generally related to people coming in and disrupting my set-up, that largely died down by my teenage years. I don't talk with people a lot, but when I do I mostly listen and they can sometimes take up a lot of my time talking about my problems. If someone feels something strongly I'll feel it too, often without realizing it comes from someone else.

Though I've often identified with my Ti, it appears my Si has always been my main motivator going back to early childhood. And it's very strong. If my Si is dominant and I have the same functions as an INTP, then I must be Si > Fe > Ti > Ne, which is ISFJ. I think I may loop Si-Ti and my ego defense involves propping up my Ti, causing the confusion.

I'm not typical, though, as I'm very messy. But I've never really developed a habit of cleaning, while I've still adopted some very strong habits.

I'll often join a church or social group and be very participatory, but one time I'll skip it as I just want to stay hone and chill, and maybe read up on something interesting or listen to some music or watch some scene over and over again, which I do not feel I can do around other people. But after a couple times of doing this, I'll start feeling really guilty and start thinking about how I've been shirking my social obligations which causes me to flake out even more. I'll then start thinking that all this flakiness is just causes heartache for the church/group and that I probably should just stop going. Then I'll feel guilty about it afterwards.

I've always had the impression English people looked a bit different than other northwestern European ethnic groups, but could not put it into words convincingly. But then I came across this article, which appears to have given corroboration to my impressions:

(I can't post links, but it's an article on Huns in Anglo-Saxon England by Caitlin Green.)

This I find very interesting, and it did not seem to receive much attention because Anglo-Saxon scholars haven't had much interest in Turkology/Inner Asian studies and vice versa. But now I've been talking more to scholars from both sides and they're finding it interesting, and they're now motivated to do research they would not have done otherwise. So maybe something will come of all this.

Plus, I really identify with this:

(A thread from this forum about ISFJ children.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think you are an ISFJ. Cause what you said about Si (desiring stability, listening to same music, etc.) since you were young and then pointing out that it was your main motivator as a child indicates dominant Si. I would say your claim of not always going to social events but feeling guilty about not attending them is an indication of high Fe. Those are two things that I as an ISFJ can relate to. Also, I think an ISFJ with developed Ti can enjoy staying at home and reading about interesting subjects. Lastly, catastrophizing is definitely ISxJ behavior when in the grip of Ne. So yeah I would say you’re an ISFJ with developed Ti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am a Si-dom and I can relate to listening to the same music over and over again — as a matter of fact, I am doing that right now. I also tend to go back and re-watch films, sometimes series (not as often, as it is very time consuming), replay games.

Do you relate?

Read the descriptions for Si and Ti here. They concern the functions in their dominant form. How do you relate to them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a Si-dom and I can relate to listening to the same music over and over again — as a matter of fact, I am doing that right now. I also tend to go back and re-watch films, sometimes series (not as often, as it is very time consuming), replay games.

Do you relate?

Read the descriptions for Si and Ti here. They concern the functions in their dominant form. How do you relate to them?
Yes. I love rewatching old scenes and replaying old games. It has always been diffucult for me to try new things.

Looking at that website's description of Si, I'm like huh? I'm not sure how to connect statements like people and objects appearing as deities and demons and the below to the descriptions of Si I've seen in this thread:

Si, in a sense, sees the background of the physical world. The important thing isn’t the object, but its mirror-image in the psyche. Objects don’t only appear in their present instance (as Se sees them) but also with a vague sense of their past and future, “somewhat as a million-year-old-consciousness might see them”. Si covers the concrete world with a shroud of meaning, subjective experience and archetypal forms.
Could anyone help with the meaning of these statements?

·
Registered
8 Posts
A couple things to say. First of "catastrophize"?
"Ne - I sometimes like to explore stuff and can often catastrophize"
Catastrophizing is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is.

Is this what you actually meant or did you misspeak?

Also how much thought have you given this? Looking over your examples they seem to be very time specific. As in "at one point of time I was like this" or "at one point of time this happened an I reacted like this."

Reactions to situations are not always an indication of the greater whole. You may have been emotional as a child, but you were a child, you were only JUST learning about your emotions and coping with emotions is taught and not always innate. How you perceived those instances would be a greater indication of the process you were using. Like if you were angry, WHY were you angry. Were you angry because you felt that justice wasn't being served (FI), or you don't understand how the individual steps you took, which were inherently not misbehaving, lead you to be in trouble (TI) or were you angry because you had something the way you know was right and someone messed it up (SI/ SE).

I am curious what your test results were?
A good test and information resource is Personality Hacker. I enjoy their website and their podcasts. I highly suggest you check them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about this?

I often like to rewatch scenes that resonate with how I feel. When I do this, it has a cathartic effect on me. Otherwise, if I try to ignore them, I will feel tense and my thoughts turn nasty and hateful.

When I was a kid, my parents told me that if I feel a certain way, I have to express it: otherwise, it will express itself in a chaotic way.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Could anyone help with the meaning of these statements?
I think what Jung meant by that is that what truly matters for the Si-dom isn't the physical world. Not the object, the things, but the projection of such in the mind of the Si-dom. Their impression of an object, one could say. The Si-dom could quickly, unconsciously, relate an impression they got from an object to a past experience, a feeling and perhaps to a future instance, something that has not happened and might not happen.

The sentence in italics is my own personal interpretation, of someone who uses Si (either dominant or tertiary, not entirely sure yet).

I shared this example with another user a few days ago. I was refilling my water bottle and staring at the oven. Not really staring at the oven, but looking at that direction. Then, a green pan which was on top of the oven grabbed my attention. Immediately the following thoughts came to me: "Who paints a pan with green?", "I have never seen a green pan before", "Why green and not red?"

Conversely, a Ti-dom would probably look at an object and at most, wonder about how it was created, for what purpose or something like that. I don't know if the examples make any sense. Take this with grains of salt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me, sometimes when I'm trying to make a choice, like of what to eat, I have a hard time rejecting options because it's almost like rejecting a person. It's like I'm not just rejecting the food, but the people who made it or invented, like I'm saying to them, your invention was worthless and came to nought. I find it helps to get someone else to choose for me.

When I'm working on a research question and get stuck when there is not a clearly explicable logical path, in my mind, to follow, I lose confidence in my ideas, worrying they may be wrong in some way. I fear coming out with something and presenting it to experts, because I fear the badness of the idea will drive them off, thinking I'm a waste of their time. I find it validating though when I present the problem to an expert and they say something along the lines of what I'm thinking. It makes me feel a lot better about presenting the idea to others. Because of this, I like having trusted experts I can bounce ideas off of.

I often become loyal to one side of an issue, but after a certain point I start feeling tense and read opposing viewpoints. I find they make me feel bad at first, but then I feel better as I get their ideas more. Then for a time it's like I agree with the opposing viewpoint and will play devil's advocate. But after reading more views from my side, I started getting dissatisfied with the opposing viewpoint and swing back over to my side. Now certain points I was unsure of how I should respond, I rebut with confidence. I feel much more safe and secure in my viewpoint now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Perhaps you're going about this the wrong way. Every person has an introverted and extroverted function, as well as a measure of sensor, intuitive, feeling and thinking.
What decides our personality is figuring out in what combination do you use these functions and in what order do you process the information. Also note that there are as many variations of type as there are people in the world.

But in order to figure these things out take introspection and self realization.
Ask yourself couple of questions and humor me by not giving case specific answers anymore. I could plead a case for myself being a feeler because I am a mother and a happily married woman. I obviously have some emotions. However I am a Ti dom. Anyways, my questions:
1)How long can you hold an abstract conversation?
As in, if someone wanted to talk about something PURELY abstract for 2+ hours. Would you be able to stay engaged?
2) If someone made a contradictory statement- would your first reaction be to check in with your convictions? Or would you check in with your data points on this subject?

Note I said first. Most people when presented with something crucial, process the information through the individual layers in their stack.

When considering yourself be honest, don't think about who you are in any given moment. Our reactions are supurfoulous, our drive and intention tells more. Our reactions can change based on outer world influences but our functions remain.

Don't think about who you want to be or who you were as a child. Neither of these places will tell you anything.

Dig deep. Be silent. Let go of your biases and your predisposed notions. Ask hard questions and listen to your answers and note how you respond to things.

Do you feel indignant when considering yourself an N or an S? A T or an F?

Take these things as indicators then engage someone or some people in some riveting conversations while taking note of your interaction while simutainously hold in your mind the things you noted while you were alone.

I can't guarantee that you'll discover your personality but after this, take another test while continuing to be honest. You may surprise yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts