Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted another thread in the INTP forum, but since I can't post links yet, I'll copy my post here.

Another repeating and redundant "Am I an INTP or INTJ" thread
Yes the title was on purpose...

Ok, now to it. I've taken a lot of these MBTI and enneagram tests, and I seem to fluctuate between INTP and INTJ. So I'd love to see what you guys and gals think:

1. I really do not like people; I find them irrational, overly emotional, for the most part lacking in common sense, and above all inefficient.

2. My wardrobe consists of 1 pair of black khakis, 2 pairs of tan khakis, 5 dress shirts (worn with the sleeves rolled up), 2 polos and a torn up pair of jeans I use when I am working on cars or hiking. I wear shirt stays to keep my shirt neatly tucked in and I shine my shoes. Every day.

3. I get fiercely upset when people are late. I also don't like obnoxious people. Or loud people. Or people that talk about their personal life on the bus. Don't get me wrong, I am very charismatic and polite, say please and thank you, smile when people talk to me. I'm not socially awkward (though I miss social cues at times), but all I can think about is how much I want to get home and away from all of these people

4. I spent the whole 1 hour bus ride home thinking of exactly what I was gonna type, and when I'm done with this, I'm gonna correct every spelling and grammar mistake, to ensure what I am typing is as succinct and precise as possible

5. I'm an atheist, and while I logically understand the function of religion (and emotions for that matter) to humans, it is a completely irrational and concept that I never understood (even as a child).

6. When I am doing something, whether its a team effort or not, I want to be the one in charge; It comes back to the whole "people are inefficient and irrational" thing and I want what I'm working on to be perfect. Other than that, I like to sit in the background and let other people "lead" (note the quotation marks...).

7. I have a major superiority complex, and coupled with an IQ of 140 (I know it's not that high, but still) I have a difficult time dealing with people that act stupidly.

8. I actually like to help people. Only if they are truly trying to learn. I have no issues at all answering questions, and all of my friends refer to me as "Mr. Fix-it". What I can't stand is when someone asks me something like "do you know what time the bus comes?" (sorry about all the bus examples, but that is where most of my human interaction takes place) when I am literally leaning on the post with the schedule on it.

9. I like kids. Specifically kids age 6-12. *queue pedobear jokes* What I mean by that is I can be around them because they are sponges for information, but still don't have the attitude that teens have, and I can communicate with them unlike infants.

10. No topic of humor is off limits; rape, incest, necrophilia, racist jokes (I'm black), religion, eugenics... You name it. I'm game.

11. I REALLY can't stand it when people ask me if I wanna go somewhere and want a response on the spot. I'm sorry, I don't know if I wanna go to the beach later on today. I have to think about it. Now leave me alone.

12. I really enjoy nature. A lot. I love to hike, go for walks on the beach, etc.

13. I quit addictions cold turkey. Alcohol, Rx drugs, cigars, cigarettes, and now pot. Once I realize rationally that I'm addicted, I go cold turkey. And I never relapse.

14. When I feel an emotion, I detach and analyze myself. Come to think about it, the only thing that I can't compartmentalize is physical pain. Emotions, hunger, desires (even sexual) can all be turned on or off at a moment's notice. As I write this, I haven't eaten in 2 days. And I'm not hungry. Well, I am, but I "shut it off", so it is of no importance.

So, now that I've revealed half of my personal life to you (easier than talking with a stranger about the weather or some shit, I tell ya...) what do you think?

INTP or INTJ?

and my enneagram is a 5.

Maybe there will be more people here who can help me figure out what type I am.

Thanks.

x01660

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are an INTP.

Brief and to the point. I like that. Now, would you care to elaborate why you think this? I'm not being sarcastic; I really wanna know. Thanks. :)

x01660

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Brief and to the point. I like that. Now, would you care to elaborate why you think this? I'm not being sarcastic; I really wanna know. Thanks. :)

x01660
Throughout the questionnaire you stress an affinity to logic and have a clear aversion to lack thereof and emotional expression/typical social function (inferior Fe).

Your writing style and the way you play with logic / words is very Ne + Ti.

4. I spent the whole 1 hour bus ride home thinking of exactly what I was gonna type, and when I'm done with this, I'm gonna correct every spelling and grammar mistake, to ensure what I am typing is as succinct and precise as possible
This part is something Ti users do frequently.

11. I REALLY can't stand it when people ask me if I wanna go somewhere and want a response on the spot. I'm sorry, I don't know if I wanna go to the beach later on today. I have to think about it. Now leave me alone.

An INTJ would generally be more decisive. They'd have a clear plan of what they'd like to accomplish in their day and would generally know right there and then if they have room for play.

9. I like kids. Specifically kids age 6-12. *queue pedobear jokes* What I mean by that is I can be around them because they are sponges for information, but still don't have the attitude that teens have, and I can communicate with them unlike infants.

Ti users love to have their logic heard and appreciated, as well as to hear and appreciate other logic as well (and to inspire others to hear/appreciate logic). Sounds to me like this is your motivation here.

14. When I feel an emotion, I detach and analyze myself. Come to think about it, the only thing that I can't compartmentalize is physical pain. Emotions, hunger, desires (even sexual) can all be turned on or off at a moment's notice. As I write this, I haven't eaten in 2 days. And I'm not hungry. Well, I am, but I "shut it off", so it is of no importance.

People would say this is a trait of Ti -- to overanalyze emotions and oneself, to compartmentalize ideas inside their mind. This is something I do myself all the time (I'm using Ti when I do this).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that. That makes sense to me.

The reason I question the J and P is because I care about the details and the big picture. I like to think about things in my head, but I love working with my hands as well. I love being out in nature, enjoying the sights and smells. But I'm equally at home, sitting in a dark room with the black lights on and just thinking. About everything.

If you have the time, would you care to show me how a J would act (in relationship to what I wrote.)? Thanks a bunch

x01660

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Thank you for that. That makes sense to me.

The reason I question the J and P is because I care about the details and the big picture. I like to think about things in my head, but I love working with my hands as well. I love being out in nature, enjoying the sights and smells. But I'm equally at home, sitting in a dark room with the black lights on and just thinking. About everything.

If you have the time, would you care to show me how a J would act (in relationship to what I wrote.)? Thanks a bunch

x01660
No, I'm not going to re-write that much.

If you'd like me to illustrate how a J would think / respond, give me a couple scenarios or paste me a couple questions you're interested to see in particular. I've already illustrated one example with the friends/beach question.

I could personally answer a couple questions since I'm narcissistic and am an NTJ myself.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I'm not going to re-write that much.

If you'd like me to illustrate how a J would think / respond, give me a couple scenarios or paste me a couple questions you're interested to see in particular. I've already illustrated one example with the friends/beach question.
For instance, I was having a conversation with someone about something. They are giving me a lot of information and I say, "I don't care about the rest of the information;; it's irrelevant to what we're talking about now."

Friend is about to open a soda on the bus, and I tell them not to because it's against the rules. However I have no problem with jaywalking or taking a few avocados from the 100 acre avocado ranch that is a mile from my house. (I think it has to do with understanding the logic behind the rule; soda makes the seats sticky. Taking 1 or 2 avocados isn't going to affect the owners much)

Here's a good one: I have a classmate who is a minor, and someone made inappropriate sexual advances. I ended up getting super upset. Not because of what happened to her (and I literally told the campus security officer this), because rapes and molestation happen all the time; I'm upset because she's a minor and no one is stepping up to the plate to help her.

When someone asks me how to do something abstractly (as in not in front of the object) I explain it in great detail. However, if they need to get it done and the object is in front of me, I tell them to move aside, let me do it, finish it, then I'll explain what I did.

x01660

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
For instance, I was having a conversation with someone about something. They are giving me a lot of information and I say, "I don't care about the rest of the information;; it's irrelevant to what we're talking about now."

Friend is about to open a soda on the bus, and I tell them not to because it's against the rules. However I have no problem with jaywalking or taking a few avocados from the 100 acre avocado ranch that is a mile from my house. (I think it has to do with understanding the logic behind the rule; soda makes the seats sticky. Taking 1 or 2 avocados isn't going to affect the owners much)
These are very Ni + Te and sound like things I'd do myself.

Here's a good one: I have a classmate who is a minor, and someone made inappropriate sexual advances. I ended up getting super upset. Not because of what happened to her (and I literally told the campus security officer this), because rapes and molestation happen all the time; I'm upset because she's a minor and no one is stepping up to the plate to help her.
This one goes more so to personal values and is related to one of the F functions. Which, I'm not sure, but anybody is capable of behaving like this.

When someone asks me how to do something abstractly (as in not in front of the object) I explain it in great detail. However, if they need to get it done and the object is in front of me, I tell them to move aside, let me do it, finish it, then I'll explain what I did.
An Ni+Te user would first assess the asker's current knowledge level to gauge what they need to do (they like to set end goals and construct paths there). They would then (instead of explaining in great detail) explain just those points which are necessary to understand the concept clearly enough -- with an emphasis on basic underlying principles. Explanation in excruciating detail is very Si+Ne.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind, regardless of our types we still use each of the cognitive functions. It's the preference to use certain functions over others which define our personality type (based on % of use). I use a lot of Ti + Ne myself, but that doesn't make me an xNTP because I prefer to (feel more comfortable) and use more often the Te + Ni functions.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very informative. Thank you for this. I think I can rest for the moment. Until new data presents itself to me. How INTP of me...

:)

x01660

1 - 9 of 9 Posts