Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about giving it a go. I am wondering if it will change my "type" at all. Has anyone gone through this therapy?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I saw a therapist who used some CBT in her practice while I was going through my divorce. I think if anything, it only helped me affirm my personality type (INTJ). It helped me stop trying to be someone I was not in order to make other people around me (my spouse, family, etc) nice or happy in my general direction. It made me STRONGER, not weaker (as some might believe by the way CBT is defined).

Just make sure that the therapist you choose to see is someone you trust/like. If after the first couple visits you're not satisfied with him/her, find someone else. I was fortunate to find someone who very much helped me find me and stand up for myself, which I was sorely lacking in.

Feel free to PM if you ever want to chat about it. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't come on here much anymore, but I have to answer this question about INTJs in therapy at all.

I have found it more or less futile.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not one of these OCD-ish people who counts cracks in the sidewalks and cleans compulsively. I just am someone who likes to be prepared and look ahead to the future. I like information. I want to empower myself personally to create security and stability in my life and that of my family. I work hard and I am dutiful.

And all they ever tell me is that you can't control anything, just go with the flow DOOOOOOOOOOOD. Let people with no impulse control or sense of proportion control YOUR life because they have all the rights that you do. Life's not fair. Go out and smell flowers! F that.

I am NOT a seat of the pants go with the flow chilling sort of person. Nor am I the sort to pop pills so that I can become one of these people. Dah-mit. :)

Rant off.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I went through some CBT, but had to let the therapist go when he kept asking me how I feel about something and explained that feelings are irrelevant and for the benefit of other people.

Not to say I didn't get some benefit from certain aspects of it, but he didn't seem to like my answers to questions about "beliefs".

·
Registered
87 Posts
...all they ever tell me is that you can't control anything, just go with the flow DOOOOOOOOOOOD. Let people with no impulse control or sense of proportion control YOUR life because they have all the rights that you do. Life's not fair. Go out and smell flowers! F that.

I am NOT a seat of the pants go with the flow chilling sort of person. Nor am I the sort to pop pills so that I can become one of these people. Dah-mit. :)
I totally agree about some (or most) therapy. Many therapists are ALL about feelings and how do YOU feel and what about how THEY FEEL and on and on. AND I refuse to take ANY pills or medications unless it is proven that a condition I have is life-threatening and there is absolutely NO alternative/natural means to reverse or resolve the issue. That being said:

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is different because its focus is on our THOUGHTs, which for an inTj is a HUGE part of who we are. The therapist's goal in CBT is to "seek to learn what their clients want out of life (their goals) and then help their clints acheive their goals" (excerpt from Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy ( CBT ): The National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists Online Headquarters) - and sometimes, all an INTJ needs is someone to help them define their goals and determine how to reach them. Goes back to making that list... lol

Another excerpt from Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy ( CBT ): The National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists Online Headquarters is, "Cognitive-behavioral therapy does not tell people how they should feel." which made me chuckle...

As I see it, CBT is an excellent therapy for NT's, because it is all about thinking, and it helps you with your intrapersonal skills. Challenging questions and challenging dialog based on thinking and reasoning. I personally enjoyed it. Although, I may have just really lucked out with the therapist I found. She was awesome.

Reactions: 42161 and jbking

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
In my case....

I have done some CBT and I doubt it is changing my type at all. If anything, it is giving me more resolve of my type and finding new ways to handle how I am wired for stuff. Granted that this isn't an easy change to make, I still believe most of the same things I did before though some of my negative stuff is becoming more balanced by various CBT ideas. The book "Mind Over Mood" has some worksheets that are kind of neat for building a sense of self-awareness and seeing how twisted one's thoughts may be at times.

·
Banned
235 Posts
I don't come on here much anymore, but I have to answer this question about INTJs in therapy at all.

I have found it more or less futile.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not one of these OCD-ish people who counts cracks in the sidewalks and cleans compulsively. I just am someone who likes to be prepared and look ahead to the future. I like information. I want to empower myself personally to create security and stability in my life and that of my family. I work hard and I am dutiful.

And all they ever tell me is that you can't control anything, just go with the flow DOOOOOOOOOOOD. Let people with no impulse control or sense of proportion control YOUR life because they have all the rights that you do. Life's not fair. Go out and smell flowers! F that.

Rant off.
*internet handshake*

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Counseling was free at the campuses I attended so I used it full blast ^^

Studies show that people attending counseling are actually happier than those who just drink anti-depressants or feel down but don't visit counselors, so on average it is the best option. But a good shrink is hard to find. I've been through several and only found 1 of them to be good. You might need to go through a few before you find one that really understands you and your problems. This is natural as psychologists are people alike anyone else, so some will understand you better than others. I went from a psychologist that was literally advising me to go to the gym more, to one that just prescribed me antidepressants on first visit, to one that was really trying to sympathize and making attempts to disengtagle the knots that were present in my subconscious.

So you might have to visit several before finding one that can be of any help to you. Biggest therapy for me has been however not attending counseling sessions but associating with xNxPs and mirroring their behavior as they have the drive to create their own future - something we Ni types can lack in, which was really source of my troubles.

137 Posts
I went through something along these lines with the unit therapist. I went in with the intentions of controlling my thought processes, and I managed to work with her along the lines that I wanted to work with. She told me when I went in that I had 2 options mainly (this was in part to dealing with some depression issues I've had in the past), it was either anti-depressants or learning stress management techniques along with getting less than desirable thoughts under control.
So yes, I do believe it helped me in my instance. No changes to personality, really just sharpening of the personality and getting past issues.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I am sure a lot of it is finding just the right therapist, yeah. I tend to worry about future things that may or may not happen because I don't like to be surprised. I want to work out possible scenarios in my mind in order to be prepared for them. The trick is working out plans of action and dumping that fret business. All the fret-dumping business seems to comprise dumb little tricks like rubber band snapping or repeating mantras to oneself or learning yoga (I can't afford to learn yoga right now, or tai chi or any of those other stress-reduction disciplines). I know something else would probably work for me (at least temporarily) but not sure what. I keep being told to reorient my thinking but I don't like to set aside what I perceive are valid concerns about my survival and that of my family. Again, I am not an unreasonable person and do not have OCD. I don't belong in a developing country and am time- and safety-conscious, let's just say that. I cannot control my environment at this time and make it more to my liking. I can't enhance the predictability of my life (probably, maybe). I should focus on what I can control. It's just not enough at this time. :tongue:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I went through something along these lines with the unit therapist. I went in with the intentions of controlling my thought processes, and I managed to work with her along the lines that I wanted to work with. She told me when I went in that I had 2 options mainly (this was in part to dealing with some depression issues I've had in the past), it was either anti-depressants or learning stress management techniques along with getting less than desirable thoughts under control.
So yes, I do believe it helped me in my instance. No changes to personality, really just sharpening of the personality and getting past issues.
No easy tricks? :)

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Thinking about giving it a go. I am wondering if it will change my "type" at all. Has anyone gone through this therapy?
I didn't know what CBT was so I googled it:

What is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?

This is a quote:
Cognitive-behavioral therapy is based on the idea that our thoughts
cause our feelings and behaviors, not external things, like people, situations,
and events. The benefit of this fact is that we can change the way we think to
feel / act better even if the situation does not change.
Based on that I suggest to name a therapy like that: How to think like an INTJ.

:laughing:

I'm just joking here of course, but seriously,... that's how INTJ's reason.

·
Registered
305 Posts
CBT, or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy has not been strictly defined and is made up of a combination of both cognitive and behavioural psychotherapudic methods in an attempt to gian government recognition and funding.

If you are considering psychotherapy of any kind, first be aware of what is available, and secondly what you are most comfortable with. These should be communicated clearly with any therapist before any therapy sessions take place. If the therapist is inflexable, don't go there!

The two main schools of thought in psychology today are, you guessed it, cognitivism and behaviourism.

"Cognitivism has two major components, one methodological, the other theoretical. Methodologically, cognitivism adopts a positivist approach and the belief that psychology can be (in principle) fully explained by the use of experiment, measurement and the scientific method. This is also largely a reductionist goal, with the belief that individual components of mental function (the 'cognitive architecture') can be identified and meaningfully understood. The second is the belief that cognition consists of discrete, internal mental states (representations or symbols) whose manipulation can be described in terms of rules or algorithms."

"Behaviorism is a philosophy of psychology based on the proposition that all things that organisms do—including acting, thinking and feeling—can and should be regarded as behaviors. The behaviorist school of thought maintains that behaviors as such can be described scientifically without recourse either to internal physiological events or to hypothetical constructs such as the mind. Behaviorism comprises the position that all theories should have observational correlates but that there are no philosophical differences between publicly observable processes (such as actions) and privately observable processes (such as thinking and feeling)."

The analytical psychology that produced the personality type indicators lends itself much more easily to the behaviourst models. But cognitivists should be able to accept it's significance, even if they don't see it's usefulness.

I honestly hope you find a good psychotherapist, as finding the right one is the difference between a full and healthy recovery and a long and painful road.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've tried CBT and various mixes of everything in between. I think my therapist doesn't quite know what to do with me :crazy:

I find CBT appeals to me because I'm forced to look at thought/emotional patterns and ask whether they are helpful or push me in the direction I want to go. It doesn't matter whether they are true or not but rather whether they are useful. It's an important distinction that stops the mental struggle. I've used it so far to successfully tackle smaller issues, like a fear of flying.

CBT is more confronting for me but only in the context of why I am going to therapy and because I generally don't express emotions that well. I also don't like someone questioning my logic because I'm an INTJ and naturally my brain is a well-oiled machine of logic ;)

I guess give it a go and, if you don't find it useful, then look into something else. The important thing is to find a connection with your therapist otherwise nothing will really work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts