Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, so we all know that the majority of articles on SP types in general, but especially the SFPs, really suck. They are full of lazily written descriptions, hurtful behavioral stereotypes, and unhelpful explanations of their functions. My ENTP sister has lamented with me that most descriptions of Sensing types are "written by iNtuitives who have no clue of what they are talking about" at least since they aren't Sensors themselves. (I repeat this with a grain of salt since cognitive functions are a theory thing so iNtuitives should be good at understanding Sensors abstractly....I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or egos here please don't be offended)

I had always been repulsed at the idea of being a Sensor because of these lousy descriptions and basically appropriated those types (esp xSFxs) to whatever "stupid" and "thoughtless" people I encountered, which was incredibly ignorant of me and not at all acceptable.

People's varying opinions of my type, and online descriptions of the types in general, make it very hard for me to feel confident in my ability to differentiate between the ESFP and the ISFP. The extroverted and introverted Perceivers seem to always be so similar to each other cognitively (unlike the Judgers whose introverted and extroverted counterparts are sooo different from each other).

Behavioral differences in these types can vary greatly too, and one's upbringing has a huge impact too. I'm always being complimented for my apparently well-developed Te, but that skill was something forced onto me and I had no choice but to start specializing in Te-centric activities if I wanted to survive. I still choose to lead with literally any other function first and try to only go to Te when called upon to do so by a person or situation (still trying to recover a little from the Te-heavy world I came from).

So...humans of PC, please help me out -

1. What are some major cognitive differences between ESFPs and ISFPs?
2. Are there any undeniable behavioral differences, that are generally true?
3. What are some questions I can ask myself to help determine if I'm cognitively ESFP or ISFP?

Thanks in advance - <3
(I'm supposed to be preparing for an oral Russian language exam that I have in 20 minutes but I haven't been able to stop thinking about this question so...here I am.)

·
Registered
ESTP 9w8 972 so/sx
93 Posts
Hey y'all, so we all know that the majority of articles on SP types in general, but especially the SFPs, really suck. They are full of lazily written descriptions, hurtful behavioral stereotypes, and unhelpful explanations of their functions. My ENTP sister has lamented with me that most descriptions of Sensing types are "written by iNtuitives who have no clue of what they are talking about" at least since they aren't Sensors themselves. (I repeat this with a grain of salt since cognitive functions are a theory thing so iNtuitives should be good at understanding Sensors abstractly....I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or egos here please don't be offended)

I had always been repulsed at the idea of being a Sensor because of these lousy descriptions and basically appropriated those types (esp xSFxs) to whatever "stupid" and "thoughtless" people I encountered, which was incredibly ignorant of me and not at all acceptable.
It's really unfortunate that Sensors are described as they are by people who have no idea what it really is to be a Sensor. It doesn't give justice to the beauties of what sensors do and experience. An ENFP shared that a possible reason that sensors are described as thoughtless is because, when intuitives try to bring themselves to the present they have to actively try and shut their thoughts down. However, sensors bringing themselves to the present is not an active process. We don't have to think about it because it's a natural sense of being for us. We belong where the physical world is and that's where our thoughts are as well.

I agree that intuitives should be good at understanding Sensors abstractly, but this is impossible if there's no accurate information for them to base off on in the first place.

People's varying opinions of my type, and online descriptions of the types in general, make it very hard for me to feel confident in my ability to differentiate between the ESFP and the ISFP. The extroverted and introverted Perceivers seem to always be so similar to each other cognitively (unlike the Judgers whose introverted and extroverted counterparts are sooo different from each other).
In my view, the reason that E/IxxPs are harder to differentiate is because the judging functions used are introverted. When you add this to the extroverted perceiving function (a passive process), it's hard to find the difference unless they tell you their thoughts/feelings.

One way I differentiate between E/IxxPs is to figure out if their extroverted judging function is in the 3rd slot or 4th slot. I found that this was a relatively easy way to figure it out since extroverted judging functions are the ones that are most easily seen. IxxPs will have a lack of or an amateur level use of their Fe/Te. ExxPs, on the other hand, will have a hobbyist's or intermediate level of control of their Fe/Te.

Behavioral differences in these types can vary greatly too, and one's upbringing has a huge impact too. I'm always being complimented for my apparently well-developed Te, but that skill was something forced onto me and I had no choice but to start specializing in Te-centric activities if I wanted to survive. I still choose to lead with literally any other function first and try to only go to Te when called upon to do so by a person or situation (still trying to recover a little from the Te-heavy world I came from).

So...humans of PC, please help me out -

1. What are some major cognitive differences between ESFPs and ISFPs?
2. Are there any undeniable behavioral differences, that are generally true?
3. What are some questions I can ask myself to help determine if I'm cognitively ESFP or ISFP?
I think I've answered Q1 with my paragraph before this.

Behavior isn't a dependable thing to base off on when trying to type. I suggest you don't type based on behavior because 2 types can perform the same behavior, but the reason behind the behavior is what you're looking for.

Se and Te are both goal-oriented functions, so something that can help you determine if you're ESFP or ISFP figuring out how often you make things happen. ESFPs are more likely to move goals, projects, situations along than ISFPs.

·
Registered
INFJ
23 Posts
I think the difference lies in your order of using the four functions. Intuition, Sensing Feeling and Thinking.

So for ISFP your order of functions would be feeling then sensing then thinking and then intuition.

If you're an ESFP your order would be similar except your order of functions would be Sensing then Feeling than Thinking and then Intuition.

Some examples of ISFPs are Sarah Mclachlan and Keane, while an example of an ESFP would be Ke$ha. Sorry if I'm listing stereotypes but these things are at least accurate.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts