Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or how don't you deal with it? ^^'

I've been struggling with Cognitive Dissonance.
It's so bad that I can't relax..
I'm constantly at war with myself and can't figure out how to make peace with myself.

After reading an article about it today, I'm starting to suspect that THAT is one of the biggest reasons for a lot of the world's problems.

Here's the article I was reading.
http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/articles/stop-lying.html

Feel free to discuss. =)

Oh yeah, and off topic, I found a website that is helping me to join loud, noisy conversations that I once thought were a nuisance! :D
How To Do Better In Loud, Crazy Group Conversations | www.succeedsocially.com

Feel free to discuss this too. @[email protected];

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think it's a mistake to assume that human beings can, by any methods, understand the whole truth of anything. By choosing to focus on certain things that we believe must be true, we neglect to explore the full breadth of what we are capable of comprehending. Those things which cannot logically be true, but which we hold in our collective cultural consciousness, reveal truths as important and valid as the truths brought to us through science.

It is useful to think logically. We can make sense of the building blocks of our reality by thinking logically. However, I personally think that there are some problems that can't be solved with rational logic. Sometimes we just have to accept that we know nothing, and that our logical and scientific methods are a safety blanket that we cling to in the face of the chaos and unknowability of the universe. There are some things we can know by measuring them, and there are some things which are true but which cannot be measured-- and which, therefore, we feel compelled to dismiss or ignore until a form of measurement is invented.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that lying to yourself is the wrong way to go about things-- it just leads to denial and a vague sense of uneasiness. However, there is nothing wrong with holding two or more conflicting ideas in your head at the same time, and never feeling compelled to make a choice between them.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
We rather believe a comfortable lie than a cold hard truth. Sometimes we cannot escape the truth, because there is no other explanation. However when we can conjure up an explanation we turn the truth on its head and turn it into a comforting lie.

Also, and I actually already wrote something about this today, when our minds create expectations we like them to be met because we all like to be right. Thus our minds looks for signs that our expectations are being met and if they aren't we start looking for explanations that somehow STILL can make our belief the right one.

Example:
The earth is 10,000 years old!
So how do you explain carbon dating readings that say the eart is billions of years old?
Satan falsified these readings, he is challenging our beliefs!

People keep holding onto their initial beliefs and they discard new information/insights because it is easier that way. The average person really doesn't like too much change and actually one could argue that we as a species are inherently change resistant. Not just when it comes to new tax policies or changing the pub you frequent but also when it comes to your deepest beliefs.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I remember discussing with a creationist on this forum once who really seemed to get high on coming up with reasons as to how carbon dating was just wrong and the earth was 6000 years-old.

I would like to mention that a cognitive dissonance isn't solely a negative thing created to keep us from dealing with our faults. It is impossible for us to simply explain away all information that go against our active beliefs because no one is that smart or omniscient. It would be detrimental to suddenly doubt everything we knew just because of a few counter arguments. It would drive us mad. It is therefore to a large extent very helpful for our sanity to discard most attacks on our knowledge.

Edit. dat english again

Reactions: yippy

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
. It would be detrimental to suddenly doubt everything we knew just because of a few counter arguments. It would drive us mad. It is therefore to a large extent very helpful for our sanity to discard most attacks on our knowledge.
Indeed :) which is why we evolved with a change resistant mentality. I agree with you that if we would perpetually doubt everything we know that it would drive us mad. It would become a source of enormous stress and anxiety. I also think that it would make us (as a species) incredibly naïve, we would be inclided to believe any solid argument against or in favor of our own beliefs.

Last little thought.......would a person or a group even have a value system if cognitive dissonance didn't exist (or wasn't allowed)? In my mind we wouldn't be able to hold on to beliefs long enough in order to integrate them into our value systems.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The fact that you think you have a problem with cognitive dissonance tells me you're not as bad as you think. :wink::kitteh:

Most of the time people are not self aware enough to realize that they're having cognitive dissonance. I love the example of the doomsdayers. Instead of re-evaluating what they claimed to be fact, they refuse to give it up. They've dug themselves a hole and it's impossible for them to even see the light anymore. If you haven't read it, Mistakes were made (but not by me) by Carol Tavris is a great book and has a lot of information about/examples of cognitive dissonance.

As humans we are constantly convincing ourselves of things, because it's the only way to cope. It's the only way to have true conviction. For me, I like to sort of adopt the scientific approach to even non-scientific things. It could be why I tend to flip-flop a lot but it seems as an INFP one of my core values is to always be honest with myself and always be open minded. Sometimes I fail at those things and sometimes I wish I were more passionate about divisive topics like politics, even though with that extra passion would come extra bias. It's all a balancing act and again, just be glad you're self aware enough to try to dig yourself out of those holes.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Last little thought.......would a person or a group even have a value system if cognitive dissonance didn't exist (or wasn't allowed)? In my mind we wouldn't be able to hold on to beliefs long enough in order to integrate them into our value systems.
I'm sure we couldn't keep the value systems we have now. But yeah, nihilism would start after about 10 minutes.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
I'm sure we couldn't keep the value systems we have now. But yeah, nihilism would start after about 10 minutes.
Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Nihilism can also take epistemological or ontological/metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that reality does not actually exist.

*Imagines a Hunger Games meets George Orwell kind off world* *shudders* *or...if we take the bolded part...a world full of apathetic people* Ok. We are keeping cognitive dissonance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts