Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a cognitive function test that pointed to me being very very high in Ti followed by Ne then Ni. The test also pointed to me being a INTP, possible ENTP. This has confused me because no type uses both Ti and Ni due to Ni being a kind of Ti.
Here's the link

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes)

My results were;
Ti-47.2
Ni-45.1
Ne-44.8
Te-30
Fi-21.4
Fe-18.8
Se-17.8
Si-14.7

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thats because of the top three possible functions, two correlate with ENTP/INTP, and two introverted functions likely weighted you to prefer introversion.

This test cannot be properly aligned with the theory, its made by an enthusiast's best intentions in mind... but thats about it.

Edit: Also, your preference for an Ne/Ti or Ti/Ne combo outweigh an Ni/Te or Te/Ni combo, hence no xNTJ inference. The calculation seems to be simply weighted by the larger sum of functions to combine for a suggested type.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
There's overlap between Ne and Ni in the questions they ask. Not to mention it's possible to misunderstand what the person who wrote the question meant when asking it. That can also lead to false positives. However, it does look like you are an xNTP for the reasons @Extraverted Delusion said.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's overlap between Ne and Ni in the questions they ask. Not to mention it's possible to misunderstand what the person who wrote the question meant when asking it. That can also lead to false positives. However, it does look like you are an xNTP for the reasons @Extraverted Delusion said.
I was sitting in class today and as we rapped up are discussion on a book we've been reading for the last 3 weeks I was standing up from my chair and suddenly I was filled with insight. I just noticed all the patterns in the book led to a completely different understanding of the book. People focused on one aspect of the book, and I just saw how completely wrong everyone was. I told my professor who has read the book 10 times and she had yet to come to this conclusion. Is this Ni or Ne? Was I leading with Ti and the insight was Ne backing it up? I spent quite a bit of time thinking about the symbolism but suddenly the symbols all at once painted the broader picture. It sounds more INTJ than anything.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You don't use both Ne and Ni. You have an intuition preference, and lean towards either extraverted intuition or introverted intuition. They're both N, so they will be similar in ways. The sudden insight with the book I'd say may lean Ne, as it seems more like an expansion of context, and especially if it was brought upon directly and immediately from something said in the discussion that day. I see where things get blurry there, though..

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't use both Ne and Ni. You have an intuition preference, and lean towards either extraverted intuition or introverted intuition. They're both N, so they will be similar in ways. The sudden insight with the book I'd say may lean Ne, as it seems more like an expansion of context, and especially if it was brought upon directly and immediately from something said in the discussion that day. I see where things get blurry there, though..
Is it possible that an ENTP, or any type for that matter, could develop a make-shift Ni. I know that ENTPs in the grip of their shadow function become INTJ-esq. I know that as a 6 year old I figured out basic physics by watching local children tobogganing on a man made hill by my house, so as a child it would appear more like Ne. However, adults (like myself) are forced by environmental factors to develop functions which is why most adults are depressed and hate their life (just a theory) but I digress, my point is my test results make me feel like I am possibly in the "grip".

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was sitting in class today and as we rapped up are discussion on a book we've been reading for the last 3 weeks I was standing up from my chair and suddenly I was filled with insight. I just noticed all the patterns in the book led to a completely different understanding of the book. People focused on one aspect of the book, and I just saw how completely wrong everyone was. I told my professor who has read the book 10 times and she had yet to come to this conclusion. Is this Ni or Ne? Was I leading with Ti and the insight was Ne backing it up? I spent quite a bit of time thinking about the symbolism but suddenly the symbols all at once painted the broader picture. It sounds more INTJ than anything.
Stereotypical Ne. Sounds like a bit of an Ne + Fe (1st-3rd functions) looping. You may have felt more profound in the moment than you actually were, but you fed off the energy of others you may have deemed "inferior". Ne tends to size things up very quickly and "smash ideas together". An ENTP is usually known to understand things differently, or should I say generally inconceivable by public consensus. Its as if an ENTP is ignited in understanding things in the way that they uncommonly understood -- by nature. I myself perform in my utmost highest composure when I feel as if I have a whole crowd judging me while maintaining eye contact intimidating enough to put the entire room in a coma.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I don't think the cognitive functions quiz is that accurate at distinguishing between some introverted and extraverted variants of functions.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Is it possible that an ENTP, or any type for that matter, could develop a make-shift Ni. I know that ENTPs in the grip of their shadow function become INTJ-esq. I know that as a 6 year old I figured out basic physics by watching local children tobogganing on a man made hill by my house, so as a child it would appear more like Ne. However, adults (like myself) are forced by environmental factors to develop functions which is why most adults are depressed and hate their life (just a theory) but I digress, my point is my test results make me feel like I am possibly in the "grip".
I think we can mimic Ni, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are using. For example, I'll sometimes encounter an Ni user in an argument. A classic hallmark of Ni is they will effortlessly reframe the entire argument so that they are right and your arguments just seem silly. This is infuriating to my Ti and it's difficult to argue against that, but I'll use Ne+Ti to copy the technique and throw it back at them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts