Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP 648 tritype The Truth Teller so~sx
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any of you know whether being ambidextrous is related to cognitive functions? I happen to be ambidextrous and just wonder whether this is related to anything...

My ambidexterity means having fairly good use of left hand in addition to good use of right hand. When I was little, I used my left hand for drawing and eating etc. Later I switched, don't know why. My mother is left-handed but I was not encouraged to use left hand more than right or vice versa. After my childhood, I have been more right-handed but I do absolutely weird (defined by other people) things with my left hand and in strength they are equal - and I was told that that is unusual. Sometimes I get confused because I don't know which hand to use and I keep switching the tool from one hand to the other xD

Which hand to use is not the only thing that is confusing. Since I was little, I have had occasional confusions with words I use. I know anyone can say things incorrectly, things one didn't really mean to say... But mine is not really like that. It's very hard to explain, English isn't my native and it's hard to compare my native to English in this subject to give actual examples. But basically it means I just say something a bit funny. My mother is like me and also her mother was like that. Especially when I was little, I felt very stupid because of that, nowadays I'm not as judgmental. Anyway, I have started to think whether being ambidextrous does this... And I wonder if there are cognitive functions and strengths related to this issue. Maybe not but I'm curious.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
LOL. NO idea how anyone can figure this out.

Reactions: AbioticPrime

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Does any of you know whether being ambidextrous is related to cognitive functions? I happen to be ambidextrous and just wonder whether this is related to anything...

My ambidexterity means having fairly good use of left hand in addition to good use of right hand. When I was little, I used my left hand for drawing and eating etc. Later I switched, don't know why. My mother is left-handed but I was not encouraged to use left hand more than right or vice versa. After my childhood, I have been more right-handed but I do absolutely weird (defined by other people) things with my left hand and in strength they are equal - and I was told that that is unusual. Sometimes I get confused because I don't know which hand to use and I keep switching the tool from one hand to the other xD

Which hand to use is not the only thing that is confusing. Since I was little, I have had occasional confusions with words I use. I know anyone can say things incorrectly, things one didn't really mean to say... But mine is not really like that. It's very hard to explain, English isn't my native and it's hard to compare my native to English in this subject to give actual examples. But basically it means I just say something a bit funny. My mother is like me and also her mother was like that. Especially when I was little, I felt very stupid because of that, nowadays I'm not as judgmental. Anyway, I have started to think whether being ambidextrous does this... And I wonder if there are cognitive functions and strengths related to this issue. Maybe not but I'm curious.
If it's unusual, then why are you trying to relate it to cognitive theory?

·
Registered
404 Posts

Brain function lateralization is evident in the phenomena of right- or left-handedness and of right or left ear preference, but a person's preferred hand is not a clear indication of the location of brain function. Although 95% of right-handed people have left-hemisphere dominance for language, 18.8% of left-handed people have right-hemisphere dominance for language function. Additionally, 19.8% of the left-handed have bilateral language functions. Even within various language functions (e.g., semantics, syntax, prosody), degree (and even hemisphere) of dominance may differ.
Source: Lateralization of brain function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you are ambidextrous it probably means that the cerebral hemisphere (the part of the brain that connects the two brain halves) is well developed.

As for how this affects your cognitive functions? Well, there is still so much we don't understand about the brain, and MBTI isn't exactly hard science either. So, I don't think we know anything for sure at the moment.

You might however find this interesting:

Split-brain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (people who have little or no connection between the brain halves)

·
Registered
ENTP 648 tritype The Truth Teller so~sx
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's unusual, then why are you trying to relate it to cognitive theory?
Why wouldn't I try to see if there is a connection even if it's a rare condition? One can be prone to having a condition but never get it. I was just wondering whether certain functions might be more likely related to this. But obviously, there's no need for you to participate in this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts