• Si-dom and prefer background noise

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you "study properly" or concentrate properly while there is environmental noise? Or do you feel incapable of "studying properly" or concentrating properly while there's environmental noise? Time to vote!

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
My understanding is people with inferior Se might be the most prone to hating environmental noise ("I can't hear myself think!"). But of course its silly to relate this to a specific type or function. It has a lot to do with the circumstances of the situation, and what the distraction is. In my experience though, Introverts tend to like to shut the world out much more than extraverts (I know some Se-doms who can't sleep unless the TV is on, which drives me crazy). But I don't know that there's any hard and fast rules here, probably varying opinions on the matter depending on the person.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Background noise is really distracting when trying to concentrate, especially if someone is talking in the background, the tv is on, or music is playing. I agree that a cafe seems like a terrible place to try to concentrate or work on something.

When doing something that takes little concentration (like cleaning), I like to have music. In that case, it's not distracting at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hardly ever notice background noise "that Im not paying attention to.. , unless.... im really tired or stressed out in which case I have been prone to be confrontational about it.. example last night I slept with no problem with a large loud fan on full, a closet light, a noisy laptop, my windows open, and the sound of storm outside with no problems..

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am highly averse to background noise, but I can deal with it so long as it's something fairly easy to concentrate on.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I'm an Se-dom that seriously needs background noise to function. Preferably music or TV but as long as things are moving around me at work I'm good. If we're talking industrial type noises then then answer is probably, no.

·
Ace of Spades
10w11 sp/so
3,088 Posts
It depends on the background noise. I listen to music without vocals most of the time. The lighting, comfort and ambiance of the room is also important.

Also I should note that it is said to be an inferior Se thing although as people have pointed out, it varies and depends on the noise.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I'm probably Fi dom and I actually have problems focusing without background noise. I need something to focus my excess attention on , if not I may get distracted or bored. I prefer life with background music :p...keeps my mind focused. I especially have a hard time reading without music.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some music works for me, but not too intrusive, and definitely not radio (the spoken voice completely interrupts my thought patterns).

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
(I know some Se-doms who can't sleep unless the TV is on, which drives me crazy). But I don't know that there's any hard and fast rules here, probably varying opinions on the matter depending on the person.
I've got an odd story about that in particular. When I was a kid, I did like to have the television on, though I could sleep without it. But around my teenage years, all it did was keep me awake. I can't stand to have it on while I'm trying to sleep now.

In general, I don't like background noise when I'm trying to study. Not even music. Sometimes I can block it out depending on how relaxed I am, but I'm a bit stressed it's irritating. Not sure if this is really a type thing. ...Maybe it's just an introvert thing. *shrugs*

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
My understanding is people with inferior Se might be the most prone to hating environmental noise ("I can't hear myself think!").
Most of the time, too true, including the quote and the accompanying frustration!

In my experience though, Introverts tend to like to shut the world out much more than extraverts (I know some Se-doms who can't sleep unless the TV is on, which drives me crazy).
Haha, yes. I know some Se doms like this too.

I can concentrate somewhat with some types of jazz or classical music in the background, but it can get a bit overstimulating after a while, if I'm multitasking. Also, I once remember attempting a Zen CD I have when I was trying to study for an AP U.S. History test, and even that was pretty distracting, lol. I tend to find background noise pretty distracting and irritating, since I always tend to feel a compulsion to focus on it and just get too caught up in it, especially if it's music, unless the background noise is my parents watching football or something. If it's something I like too much, there's no way I'm going to study while it's on! I definitely agree with the consensus of inferior Se having the most difficulty with this stuff. I've noticed that often, I tend to get overly absorbed in my environment if I'm not focusing on my thoughts enough, which seems like an inferior Se manifestation, as in, I can't think at all and just find myself getting distracted by everything, but I'm not even focused on anything in particular - it's a bit like a flood of overwhelming sights and sounds that I can't sort out, which usually happens when I'm in a bad mood and loose motivation to be constructive.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Haha, yes. I know some Se doms like this too.
They would drive me nuts!! :crazy: Sleep is different for me I need pretty much total quiet. It seems like my mind can't shut off without it + meds. But I think it's not so weird for me because I really only need the activity to wake and stay that way and active.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took a few days to observe my behavior in this area...
I found that I can read perfectly fine with music or the television on but I generally cannot write with any background noise. When I say "generally" it seems to depend on what I'm writing. If I'm writing something deemed important it seems I become stressed and every little noise bothers me but I'm writing this right now whilst listening to Jennifer Lopez's Papi (laughs). Though all in all, I can block out sound if I'm not focusing on it. If I fixate on the music, television, person talking, that sudden clicking noise, I can't focus on anything else but the noise itself. I think I'm at a loss here.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I like a bit, but certain noise bothers me. I can work with certain music, certain surrounding noise, but other stuff distracts me. (I may be Se dom)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I like having background noise, but the extent of which depends on how I'm doing, what I'm studying, and what the background noise is. It really helps me to get going to have more steady background noises like music, and sometimes tv sounds or just having people around like around the house, at a library, or a cafe. But little background noises out of nowhere drive me crazy, like when it is quiet and there's random shuffling, clicking, coughing, doors closing. It's those little noises that really distract me which is part of why I like more background noise in the first place.

My understanding is people with inferior Se might be the most prone to hating environmental noise ("I can't hear myself think!"). But of course its silly to relate this to a specific type or function. It has a lot to do with the circumstances of the situation, and what the distraction is. In my experience though, Introverts tend to like to shut the world out much more than extraverts (I know some Se-doms who can't sleep unless the TV is on, which drives me crazy). But I don't know that there's any hard and fast rules here, probably varying opinions on the matter depending on the person.
This is interesting. Have you noticed the TV thing with anyone other than Se-doms? I had to sleep with the TV too, until very recently. But now I just get a similar effect by staying on the computer until I can't keep my eyes open, and then sleep in relative silence. I vaguely remember reading that extraverts in general sometimes get this problem, but I'm not sure how true that is.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is interesting. Have you noticed the TV thing with anyone other than Se-doms? I had to sleep with the TV too, until very recently. But now I just get a similar effect by staying on the computer until I can't keep my eyes open, and then sleep in relative silence. I vaguely remember reading that extraverts in general sometimes get this problem, but I'm not sure how true that is.
I don't sleep with the TV on...
However, I do stay on the computer or listen to music until I can't keep my eyes open as well. Maybe that is some sort of extroverted thing. Staying in connect with people or something until you have to go to sleep. I find that I always have to be doing something when I'm alone. I can't just sit in silence.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts