Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I saw this, I thought, "Is this supposed to be Si?"

I'm really not sure. I think she has some deep meaning behind all what seems like weirdness to me here, but it's not something I can figure out on my own. This entire video feels like a visual/audio representation of contemporary art to me.

My impressions aside, here is the video. I would appreciate it if someone could give me an idea what functions are displayed here.

Reactions: Guajiro

·
Registered
86 Posts
I really like this music video. It really put a deeper meaning to this song that I could relate to although I don't think it's the most relatable concept for me. As soon as I saw you what video you were analyzing, I thought of Si. I don't understand the cognitive functions enough to the point I write bigger descriptions of them, but I think this video personifies Si and I love it because it makes me feel like I understand it in way words can't capture. It's basically her subjective take on their relationship in my opinion and how she holds on to them because their style, the sensations and memories, are a representation of how much they fit one another. At first I thought the idea of style in the song was very superficial, but this video showed me otherwise. I suspect Taylor Swift is an ESFJ so maybe that's why it's so Si-filled. Halfway through writing this I almost wondered if this was Se instead, but then the memory factor and how abstract it was instead of realistic made me change back to Si. Love the imagery.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w6 so/sp
3,078 Posts
Honestly, everything about her strikes me as ESFJ.
The Si really shows in her songs - strong connection to the past.
Her Fe really shows itself in interviews. Very naturally in tune with the feelings of the interviewer.
She seems more calm/collected than what you would expect from a typical Fe Dom, but she probably considers that part of her image.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Honestly, everything about her strikes me as ESFJ.
The Si really shows in her songs - strong connection to the past.
Her Fe really shows itself in interviews. Very naturally in tune with the feelings of the interviewer.
She seems more calm/collected than what you would expect from a typical Fe Dom, but she probably considers that part of her image.
I agree with her being an ESFJ. I don' relate with TS overall, I do relate with her Si very much. Actually It wasn't until I considered TS as an Si user and how strong her Si comes across, now I understand my Si much deeper. Don't ask me how or what I see, I can't explain it, however I certainly do understand it in an abstract way in my own mind.

TS is far from calm and collective, watch her on any award show, she is a showoff that can't stop moving, I mean she literally can't stop moving, she is everywhere, grabbing on to anyone in her reach, annoying to say the least, there is nothing calm about TS, very extroverted.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,834 Posts
How do you explain Si? I relate it to memory because memory highlights the subjective aspect of it, where as Se is more objective and in the moment.
By your logic Se impressions can't be stored in memory, nor be recalled.
It is so sad being a Se type cause I have no memories nor ability to think of the past... :crying:

But seriously, Si is just as much in the moment as Se, Si just filters out a lot of stuff.
Does not let the object have a hold on the attention, but it is still in the present.
Only N functions operate on the past and future.

·
Registered
86 Posts
By your logic Se impressions can't be stored in memory, nor be recalled.
It is so sad being a Se type cause I have no memories nor ability to think of the past... :crying:

But seriously, Si is just as much in the moment as Se, Si just filters out a lot of stuff.
Does not let the object have a hold on the attention, but it is still in the present.
Only N functions operate on the past and future.
Yeahhh that wasn't my intent at all, just relating it to the subjective aspect of how memory filters things so we're both in the same page just the language is different. What exactly would you say Si filters out?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The function I was thinking of when I actually went to watch this video was Si. I can relate to it very much, just not about the same things she's talking about in the song. I experience a lot of nostalgia now, and the video looked to come off that way to me. Plus, another thing about this video/song is that it talks about them not going out of style, speaking to me of being timeless and stability; the opposite of fleeting, momentary, in passing, novelty, etc.

·
Heretic
10,834 Posts
Yeahhh that wasn't my intent at all, just relating it to the subjective aspect of how memory filters things so we're both in the same page just the language is different. What exactly would you say Si filters out?
Well just as Ni hones in on a vision and perfects it. Si hones in on a sensation and perfects it.
Hence whatever isn't part of what Si holds as the sensation in question is just blurred out.
Se on the other hand accepts all sensations as equal as Ne accepts all visions as equal so to speak.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
(correct me if i'm wrong)
Se will experience the object as it is.
for example the fire is hot or bright...that is the sensation is a part of or belongs to the object. It is property almost anyone who comes into contact with the object is able to be experienced.

for Si the attention is about their own sensation.
for example the atmosphere around the fire is cosy. That is the fire is not inherently cosy, it is not a property of the fire that can be observed or felt by anyone, it is an idea of a sensation that the individual forms.

Where as Se is seeking experiences for experiences sake on the look out for the new or intense, Si is seeking to create what it deems comfortable/pleasant/cosy. That is the extremes brought back to their equilibrium. Like the Goldilocks and the three bears story, that's to hot, that's too cold...just right.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for responding! I'm really surprised and happy that we got even a page of replies, because this is just a weird topic, haha.

I personally believe Taylor Swift is an ESFJ, yes. I used to think she was an ISFJ because she does seem collected as introverts tend to be, but so much of her behavior is Fe-driven. Maybe she's an ESFJ with an Si subtype or something, but it can't see her not being an Fe-dom. (Of corse there's a whole topic about that though, and I don't think this is the place to debate Taylor's type.)

I was just wondering about the video because it mystified me. If wasn't at all what I expected the video to be. In so many ways I couldn't see how it connected at all to the song itself, you know? But it's cool to hear it might be Si, thank you all for your clarification on that and also on Si.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well just as Ni hones in on a vision and perfects it. Si hones in on a sensation and perfects it.
Hence whatever isn't part of what Si holds as the sensation in question is just blurred out.
Se on the other hand accepts all sensations as equal as Ne accepts all visions as equal so to speak.
I might finally understand Ni, Si, Ne, and Se thanks to you. Does what Ni use to "perfect" their vision depend on their judging functions like either Ti, Te, Fi, Fe? And how would this work? For example, with an INTJ (Ni-Te-Fi-Se) would the Te use Fi to filter Ni? I need examples to understand these things. Or is it just Fi filtering and Te acts in other ways? Or is it something completely different?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
A visual/auditory representation of contemporary art? That's an interesting way of looking at it. Elaborate if you can.

Every song she writes is nauseatingly Fe. I played with ISFJ.. she's very soft, gentle and shy, but when I realized how many people think she's an ESTP because her Fe feels exaggerated, Fe dom felt more clear to me.

Her main priority is suiting her behavior towards the object... fitting to a standard of what she's "supposed" to be and what others would like based on mood/atmosphere. It's blatant. Her songs are basically "this person said this and that and it made me feel like this and they felt like that and then these people said this about us and I said this about what they had to say".

In fact the majority of her songs are literal recollections of actual experiences. I think people mistake her as an N (mainly INFJ) due to her rather romanticized view of reality... which is really common in an xSFJ. Life is a romantic storybook to many of them, I've noticed.

As for the song itself, it's about her relationship with Styles... par on the course of her formula, reimagined to pay homage to the 50's. It's not the 50's reference here that makes me think si-ne (if that were the case Lana Del Rey would be an ISFJ) but the remimaging of a past event... and the external focus on Feeling "I should say this" "You have a day-dreamy look to you" "Haven't heard from you in awhile" "You like my catholic school girl thing". Also a timeless focus... I know I myself hate trends because will this trend still be relevant ten years from now?

Essentially it's the same as all her other songs. Every Tay Swift song is exactly the same. I think it's why her music does nothing for me.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Heretic
10,834 Posts
I might finally understand Ni, Si, Ne, and Se thanks to you. Does what Ni use to "perfect" their vision depend on their judging functions like either Ti, Te, Fi, Fe? And how would this work? For example, with an INTJ (Ni-Te-Fi-Se) would the Te use Fi to filter Ni? I need examples to understand these things. Or is it just Fi filtering and Te acts in other ways? Or is it something completely different?
No Ni filter the "vision" just fine on it's own. Judgment functions come in afterwards and ask questions.
T would go, what does this mean? What labels are appropriate?
F would go, what i the value of this? Is it good or bad?
Ni doesn't care about meanings or values, it is just an oberservation of patterns and a continual following of events.
Whatever pattern observed draws Ni's attention to deeper levels of observation.
You can say that the judgment functions will sort trough what N "sees", just as they sort trough what S gives them.
Some have pointed out that dom Ni will always have a surplus of Ni observations, with judgment lagging behind.
Like in an INTJ, while an ENTJ with dom Te will have organized all the Ni observations before Ni is allowed to continue.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@hoopla as for the video seeming like an auditory/visual representation of contemporary art... It's hard to explain. It just is? There are different things that led me to see it as such, but watching it again and again that's the conclusion I keep coming to with it.

I think it might have immediately reminded me of contemporary art because I don't understand it. Like contemporary art. The meaning is ambiguous, it seems. You really have to think about it, and even then you can misinterpret if. And it's almost like you're supposed to misinterpret it, like the artist doesn't care whether you get it or not. (Which may or may not be true, but.)

The images also seemed very contemporary to me. They flashed back and forth in different ways, which a lot of toes iconic images throughout the song seeming similar to the images used in a lot of art lately. Walking through a meadow, that's very common in contemporary art, that interaction between feminity and nature, as well as the scenes on the beach and the sensual scenes in the dark. Even the scene with the car. And do I have to explain he the abstract reoccurrence of the shard of glass would make me think of modern art?

There's other reasons I can't quite out to words, but... It feels like contemporary art to me. Like, it just does. I know that's probably definitely not what Taylor was going for, but that's what I got out of it. (And I don't think that's so ill-founded, as Taylor is influenced by that's around her in the music industry and all forms of art are connected to each other; she's bound to be getting a lot of contemporary art influence without even realizing it.)

Reactions: Deadly Decorum

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay. I'm thinking more about this contemporary art thing. Are all music videos from now a representation of contemporary art because they are... contemporary, and art?

I think, yes, to some extent. But some more than others.

Like this video
It seems... very abstract. Very much what I would expect from contemporary art. It's feeling. It's meaning. It's deep. It's human. And it's wacky. And other things, but in essence it seems like contemporary art to me.

But then, these videos, with social messages

I don't see so much as representative of contemporary art. They are in some ways - they share similar themes as many pieces of contemporary art - but their presentation is so different. The meanings of these videos... It's very straightforward. I'm not a girl dog, the way you see me is ridiculous. Quit villain ing me as a woman. I'll parodize that in support of the liberation of women. And oh, you want to put people into these gender role boxes? I'll flip it. I'll flip it and blatantly show how stupid it is.

I'm not quite hitting the messages, but... I mean, we all know Blank Space was made for feminist purposes and Girls Chase Boys was made with LGBT purposes. They don't want to be abstract. They want to be engaging and interesting here, but they want to get their point across.

In Sia's videos and Taylor Swift's Style, you don't see that as much. There are meanings, very deep meanings, but you've got to sift through the murky water to finally grasp at it even slightly. I don't think these videos are as meant to be immediately meaningful as the others. They're meant to make you dig. I'm not sure if I like that - not a fan of contemporary art - but I do find it intriguing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts