Personality Cafe banner

College Freshman Needs Social Advice

[INFP] 
2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  timeless 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just moved to college a few days ago and I would love to hear your INFP college experience and any advice you may have for a fellow INFP.

How did you all find friends at college?

What activities/organizations did you get involved in?

What was your social life like in college?

Did you date in college?

What did you major in and how did you choose your major?

Those are just some starting ideas. Anything you want to talk about would be great. Thanks!

Reactions: Box
#2 ·

Um....people on my floor, classes, coffeehouses

Volunteered at the humane society, volunteered with people with special needs, that's about it, I didn't like being apart of any organization. I recommend getting involved in organizations that you are genuinely interested in.

Horrible, I had friends, but nothing meaningful. I also went to college in cow town where people with similar interests were harder to find. I rarely went out and people thought I was strange.

Did you date in college?

Not really

Sociology, because it was interesting and the quickest way to graduate and my dad wouldn't let me drop out. I don't recommend taking this route, haha.

Those are just some starting ideas. Anything you want to talk about would be great. Thanks!

Reactions: JustARide
#3 ·

First I met the people in my corridor and got to know who I got on better with. My roommate introduced me to some boys she had met who lived on the floor below who I ended up being really good friends with. It was great living in a halls of residence because you could wander round and see who was similar to you. One of the best things I did was just sitting in my room with the door open and music playing and people came to me because they liked the music. I also found a really good friend on my course in a seminar, we got chatting afterwards.

I was in the tenpin bowling team and that was about it. I wish I'd tried something a bit different now and made a bit more use of the free memberships available and stuff.

It was really good actually. For the first time I met people who shared similar interests to me and I found out that the world wasn't all full of pop music and dance music clubs but there were indie clubs playing music I actually liked! I went to see lots of bands too and my friends would come to the park with me, sit out on the grass reading together, come round for a cup of tea and a game of cards. Living in halls was great that way as you didn't have to go far to find someone if you wanted to.

Did you date in college?

Yes, a few different people in the first year after I broke up with my boyfriend back home, then I had a serious relationship with someone from the second year onwards. Kind of regret that a bit now as he was a control freak and I think I would have had more fun if I hadn't got together with him.

English Lit, it came down to either English or Maths and I wasn't very good at physics or applied maths so I decided to go with English.

I really loved it...it was a simpler time!

Just edited to add: Back then there were no mobile phones and we used to communicate with the boys in the room below by hanging carrier bags out of the window with messages in them, lol!

#4 ·
Hey guys, I just moved to college a few days ago and I would love to hear your INFP college experience and any advice you may have for a fellow INFP.

Just by... being in college. The first good friend I made lived in my dorm. The other good one I met because we were in a lot of classes together as well as in the literary club. Also more casual friends you can meet by going to different clubs, activities, and school gatherings.

The literary club was good because I met one of my good friends there (at the time I tested INTP and she was an INTP as well). A lot of writers are NF types. Also briefly a shakespeare production- (aren't INFPs supposed to be good at acting? hehe i think we can enjoy being in the spotlight). Also there are different groups based on ethnicity or religious affiliation, well basically whatever interest you can think of..

It was good the first semester. I finally found a best friend who accepted me for me. (I think in retrospect she was probably an INFP, ENFP or ENFJ) Then I went back home for the holidays to my ESFJ mom and ENTJ father and etc. and could not stand being "controlled" so I wanted a lot of alone time...which ended up in me kind of isolating myself.. Later on.. well I become more of a loner but that is another story..

Did you date in college?

Yes.

I did not pick a major for a long time. I switched schools and have finally chose a major I am very very happy with.

Also I think this: (BEING YOURSELF! :tongue:) VOL II: BE YOURSELF
to be important.

#5 ·
I met my best friend at school when he started slightly bullying me, until i got annoyed and threw him over* a table.
We've been best friends ever since! :D

You shouldn't worry too much about all this stuff, if you try get a social life on purpose, you will probably fail :p.
Just relax, and take a ride!

#6 ·
I joined clubs as a freshman and met most of my good friends at this point through them. Unfortunately I realized later that my school had very little diversity in culture. So my unique tastes in music and whatnot kind of hindered my social life a bit.

Stuff invovling community service and helping others, that's a good way to meet other NFs.

It's gone through phases, it's been different every semester so far. I've had a few good friends since the beginning, but the amount I've seen them and whatnot has varied depending on what all we were involved in. Sometimes I went out a lot, sometimes I kept to myself for weeks at a time.

Did you date in college?
Let me think about this for a second....NO. Don't be an idiot like me, just make eye contact and smile it's not that hard to meet a girl.

Environmental Panning, it's a branch of the Geography major at my school. I've always been a geography person so that's how I stumbled into the department. I started off in this major then abruptly switched to Psychology for 2 semesters then abruptly switched back, but I'm almost done now so no more switching around.

#7 ·
College is a lot like prison. You need to beat someone up as soon as possible, or else some dude is going to make you his bitch. That's really the only advice you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.