Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello everyone! I found this forum yesterday and spent half the day reading it. It made me very happy to discover that there are ENFJ's in the world and that I'm one of them. I thought I was insane for acting the way I do. It's a big weight off my shoulders.

Now for my dilemma.

I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Well I do have ideas, but there are just too many to select one and be content. It seems many user's here also have this problem judging from what I've read.

I'm about to start my second year at college and I'm really having a hard time dedicating myself to one major.

I'm currently a computer science: game design major (UC Santa Cruz). I enjoy pair programming and interacting with others to solve problems, but when I have to program alone I feel like shooting myself. So I don't know if I want to stay with this major at all. I enjoy the creative prospects, but I despise the time I spend in solitary doing analytical thinking. My peers seem to love the alone time to make games. My dream career in this field would be as a producer or some kind of project overseer.

Then there is literature, which I've tested the waters for. Being an English teacher sounds fun. I love to read and write. I could see myself doing well at the job, and being relatively happy. However, I can't help but think that I won't be able to find a job in the economy and feel as though I could be missing out on helping the world in other ways.

I feel like one of these 'ways' to better the world would be to major in Health Science. I know I would be a wonderfully charismatic pediatric dentist or even a good health teacher. I even dream about caring for people abroad. Although, I feel like this route would drain some creativity out of me, but maybe that isn't true.

I'm just torn. My dream in life is to travel. As long as I can do that I think I'll be fulfilled.

I'm looking for suggestions. Maybe some of you are in the fields I'm looking at and can tell me what you think. Or if you're in a similar situation we can bond.

I apologize for such a personal request. I feel as though I'm bothering anyone that reads this. :blushed:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
It's not really easy and even with peoples' suggestions(although, maybe the help of ENFJs will help you) it may be hard for you to decide. I'm not sure if I would look directly at what kinda job you may want.
I had to make a mental list of things I wanted out of a specific field/career. And when I say that, I mean I made a mental list of the general things I would want and how I would like to utilize my talents. That included being able to come up with innovative ides and solutions, having an impact on people, being part of something that's growing and changing constantly, being able to experiment and discover, and being challenged intellectually. Along with that, I had to look at some general subjects that interested me. I had to use Google a lot, but I realized what field was perfect for me.

It seems like you have the desire to help people or work directly with them in some way as well as to travel. Just think outside the box. If there's one thing I've realized, it's that careers aren't really that clear-cut. You could get an education in medicine and look into traveling abroad to work with people in lesser developed countries or something...y'know? Stuff like that...

Reactions: Hobbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lara!

The mental list idea is fantastic. I'll have to do a little soul searching now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going through something similar! And I do know an ENFJ computer programmer who loves his job - it's challenging but also gives him the means to accomplish his outside work goals. I admire the balance he's found because I'm admittedly a lot of a workaholic, and am learning to separate self-worth from my career path. (Trickier than it sounds, for someone who was planning on being a classical musician from an early age...).

I did the education thing for a bit, and a lot of it still really appeals to me. I went to teachers college (Primary/Junior) with the intention of working in education, though not in a traditional learning environment. It was my branch into arts education/administration. I loved working with kids, though- it was the other teachers that frustrated me. I always think that a high school English teacher would be the most awesome in-school gig. Books! Words! Amazing discussion!

I've also thought about healthcare (amongst a million other things) but realistically, my talents lie elsewhere. It's tricky as ENFJs, because we have the potential to be competent at almost anything - and put a lot of stock in "meaningful" careers. I have so many interest that I think my life is going to always be a mash-up of different things.

Let me know if you figure it out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, I'll let you know. I wish you luck.

"I have so many interest that I think my life is going to always be a mash-up of different things."
I think that will be my fate as well. Although it's not necessarily bad. It's kind of fun to have a lot of interests. It makes for a more interesting person :cool:.

Thanks for sharing about your programmer friend. That gives me more confidence. I'm wishing computer programming becomes more adopted in schools, so I can teach that later in life, who knows.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think we strive to be jack of all trades so we don't have make up our mind. However, reading your post I think a great job that could satisfy isn't a career. Travel tour guide with a group specifically working with 18-35 yr olds. I say this because you have to write daily logs funny recaps, create collages, sometimes play doctor, and you get to travel. If you are interested I have a contact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts