Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well I'm not in college yet, but next year I will be and I won't be going for a major to get a job (music major). In fact, I have literally NEVER looked at it that way. Just the other day I was talking with my grandma (lame I know :crazy:) and I was talking about how I wanted to be a composer, and she said, "for films" and I said nah, videogames. She said that there was probably more fun, and more lucrative. Which I think is true, but I never even thought about it being more lucrative....I'm just not that way I guess.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I definitely didn't switch my major to philosophy because I thought it'd net me a cushy job, I tell you what.
It's what interests me, and that's all that matters to me (for personal satisfaction) and employers don't care what your degree is in really. If I wanted to live a soul-less desk life, I would've majored in business/accounting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm not in college yet, but next year I will be and I won't be going for a major to get a job (music major). In fact, I have literally NEVER looked at it that way. Just the other day I was talking with my grandma (lame I know :crazy:) and I was talking about how I wanted to be a composer, and she said, "for films" and I said nah, videogames. She said that there was probably more fun, and more lucrative. Which I think is true, but I never even thought about it being more lucrative....I'm just not that way I guess.
Thank you for your response! Don't feel weird for talking to your grandma, lol. My grandparents were a major part of my upbrining when I was younger. They showed me the world and taught me to explore everything I was interested in! I have talked with my grandparents about school too and they told me to "study what I am interested in and enjoy." I've been torn between going to school to get a job that will pay the bills (Human Resources) and taking the chance and studying what I really want to study (English).

I played the french horn for 8 years and am now trying to get back to it in a brass ensemble. I REALLY miss playing the horn and the piano and composing songs on the piano. Good for you! For sticking to it! Music isn't just a career, it is something to live for! Enjoy it and I hope everything works out for you!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Definitely because I love it. My major is psych. I say screw statistics. If you have passion for something and work hard to become decent at it,you're gonna get what you want. Both my current and ex boyfriend tried to point out to me that there arent many job openings in that field. My response was something along the lines of "Frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn." I know what I love and what I'm capable of, and that is success. I also have other passions, such as writing, which I can fall back on whenever I get bored with psych. I'm just that way; I like a change of scenery every once in a while and I have too many things I want to do in my life to stay stuck in one thing my whole life. But of course, since I'm spending so much money on school for psych, that's going to be my main focus. It's also widely applicable, too, so that helps.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It'll promise me a good job with what I've been studying as a filler while in high school (Computer Networking/repair/security). I like knowing that I can apply for government positions, go into what I studied in high school, and go for what I really want to be involved with (game design) through the major I have.

My major (computer security) is like the logical hoop that needs to be jumped through to assess technical possibilities. Regardless of type.

I'm not staying in this field, though. I need a backup for gameg design or the arts thanks to the recession. Besides, now I get to cross train and try so many different things while looking for employment in my field. :happy:

Reactions: WiscoExplorer

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
uhm techinally im in individual studies but i want to be an elementary school teacher I think...
but as for college im going to college because im 20 and I went when I was 18 took a break at 19 and it sucked
and was like the world is not made for me if im not in college its what im supposed to do

truth is im not good at it im really bad at it...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
heh, neither ^^;

when i was still in school, i majored in philosophy. because i thought philosophy sounded really neato at the time. then i went through a number of years at it and became a bit disillusioned and felt like i wasnt really learning anything or becoming wiser (to be fair, at least in part, the problem might have been *me*, not the philosophy... ... ... well, in *part*, anyway). i always knew i wouldnt get a job from it, and have never really wanted to teach (which is the only thing philosophy could get you... actually not EVEN that since you'd need a teaching degree too).

and right after i got out of school, i became a janitor in a highschool. loved the irony of ending a lifetime of being a student and then going to clean the school after :tongue:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am an art major as well.

Although i have to say I am very realistic about the percentage of people who are successful at an art major. I know "success" is subjective, but I really want to be very lucrative in what I love so I push myself on my passions. Like some other people here I want to work with video-games, game arts :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think if you're truly passionate about what you're learning than that's the reward in itself. A lot of people take college for granted these days since it seems expected of everyone, but really it's a gift that we all have the chance to deeply study what we want. So you may not ever get that million dollar house, but you gained the knowledge and experience that no amount of money could ever buy. I'm not in college but will be next year and that's just how I see it...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Are you studying your major because you love it or because it will guarantee you a good job?
When I got into college at the age of 18, i followed the advice of an academic counselor. I have very little idea what I wanted to do. They did no personality tests or anything. At the time I was pretty interested in computers. the adviser pushed me to the business program - information systems. I took an intro class, it was a breeze, but not interesting what-so-ever. As I started taking business classes I would just dread going to them. I would sprinkle in an interesting class here and there - history, art, sociology, psychology, anthropology, etc. I went back and talked to her a year later and switched to HR, which I thought was more aligned with me.

I followed her advice for 2 simple reasons: High in demand and lots of $$

Its one of my biggest regrets.

It bothered me so bad I took a semester off to rethink my life. I got a corporate job to see what it was like. It was living hell. I was a supervisor for local marketing firm/ call center. I learned a lot from this experience.

After this time off, I came back to school - still not entirely sure what I wanted to do. But I knew 1 thing: it was not business. After 6ish months of soul searching epic quest stuff, I settled on psychology. Its interesting, broad yet specific. and its something I really enjoy studying.

Moral of story: FOLLOW WHAT YOU LOVE. DAMMIT.

you can be rich and unhappy. You can be poor(ish) and happy. I know where I stand.

sorry for the rant:crazy:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Pursuing a BA in Psychology. Figured if I had to get a degree it was sure as hell going to be in something I'm interested in and enjoy. That being said I hate all my prerequisites. English = hate it, French = hate it, Science Lab credit = hated it. Oddly enough this semester's Psych course is applied statistics in the field of Psychology and it's boring and all math but I still find myself being somewhat intrigued and applying myself more than the other crap courses.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was always focused on not working. I wanted to work for a few years and save up a bunch of money and then quit. I started college with a major in business, but after one business class, I decided that I needed to switch out. Science was always my thing in school since I was little, so I took up biology. This was great and all, but then I moved to NYC and took a year off of school. I decided that biology would not get me anywhere except into grad school to become a doctor or something, and that's not what I wanted to do. The medical field wasn't out completely though. I thought I hit gold when I thought of becoming a nurse, working for 5 years, make tons of money, then quit and go live in a treehouse in Montana or something. Or a boat, a personal boat, and travel the world. This was seriously my goal for a few months, but then nursing school started, and it was a struggle every day not to go buy a gun and stick it in my mouth. I hated my life. At first, I kept thinking it would get better, keep focusing on the outcome, the great money, the 3 or 4 days off a week and STILL making great money... but eventually the desire to end my life overcame my desire for a nice future, and I quit.

Now, finally, I've decided to go for sociology and just see what happens. I am done planning for my financial future and done planning my life, basically. I'm just following my heart and seeing where it takes me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I studied Spanish, it was my passion, and I'll never regret it. It hasn't helped me yet, but I know it will. Not just with my career but in other ways too. I am looking at going back to school to be a physical therapists assistant, just 2 years of school and a test. Makes good money, benefits, and most importantly is in high demand. I would say study something that you can easily work hard at (something you want). But also remember that you're going to want to work as soon as school is finished.

I know quite a few graduates who are working at supemarkets and trimming trees. Do something that is job oriented and you won't feel cheated when it's time to support yourself.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think it's good to study what you enjoy because any degree gives you decent job prospects, many employers are only interested in whether you have a degree, not what degree you have. Also if you get good marks, which is more likely with something you enjoy and are good at, then you can do masters, which will boost your job prospects a lot and then if you do well at masters and you feel inclined you could possibly do a phd.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I was always focused on not working. I wanted to work for a few years and save up a bunch of money and then quit. I started college with a major in business, but after one business class, I decided that I needed to switch out. Science was always my thing in school since I was little, so I took up biology. This was great and all, but then I moved to NYC and took a year off of school. I decided that biology would not get me anywhere except into grad school to become a doctor or something, and that's not what I wanted to do. The medical field wasn't out completely though. I thought I hit gold when I thought of becoming a nurse, working for 5 years, make tons of money, then quit and go live in a treehouse in Montana or something. Or a boat, a personal boat, and travel the world. This was seriously my goal for a few months, but then nursing school started, and it was a struggle every day not to go buy a gun and stick it in my mouth. I hated my life. At first, I kept thinking it would get better, keep focusing on the outcome, the great money, the 3 or 4 days off a week and STILL making great money... but eventually the desire to end my life overcame my desire for a nice future, and I quit.

Now, finally, I've decided to go for sociology and just see what happens. I am done planning for my financial future and done planning my life, basically. I'm just following my heart and seeing where it takes me.
I do basically the something! Work for 6 months to a year and then take a year off! Luckily I started saving money when I was 13 so I have enough to fall back on! It allows me time to get to know myself=P I think more people should do it!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sadly I decided to not go for my passion; psychology, because of the low job opportunities for that field. My mother talked me out of it and I am regretting it. I'm going into the health field instead, which I still enjoy but definitely not as much as psych.

Reactions: WiscoExplorer

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well I'm doing Art because I love Art (and they took away any music related stuff ¬¬ ) but I ain't enjoying at College at the moment because of all the freaking research writing! :dry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts