Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts? Majors?

I'm a freshman and really don't think I like being in college. I want to just skip ahead and be independent, but I have no idea what I want to do when I get "there." I'm so lost on majors (I know that's fine as a freshman, btw).

For you INFJs, did you go to college or not? What did you like about your choice? If you went, what was it like for you, and what did you major in?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I've been there. Took me till junior year to chose History, high school teaching track.

I was confused for so long... I dunno how it is with the other INFjs but I like to keep my options open. I really had to think long and hard about what kind of path I wanted to travel. And when I found it... there was no "aha" moment... it just slowly started to feel... right.

Gl

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm not an INFJ, but I'm a Freshman in college as well. Why not talk with different people about jobs & majors and such? It can be quite helpful to help figure out what you want to do as well as figure out if you even want to continue with college. Despite everyone saying "you have to go to college!" I personally don't believe that college really is for everyone. Maybe a two year college instead? Get some sort of certification in some job. Or maybe it's just the school.
Just for the record, I'm a German Major. I hate my college though and shall be transferring next semester or next year depending on how things go.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
PHYCOLOGY.

I love college. It's like INFJs dream. You get to absorb all this knowledge. meet all kinds of unique people. be independent.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I major in sociology!, I didn't like college at first either but I think it gets better as you go!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have not gone to college. I am in 8th grade and can't wait until I am in college. I want to major in Psychology specializing in Social psychology and adolescent/family psychology. I would like to be a private counselor/therapist.

My minor will be in Biology, with an extra course in Marine Biology.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Well which subjects did you like most in school? I liked sciences so I picked a science major. It is like helping people but doing so indirectly. I have always had a more math/science inclined mind rather than say creative writing or literature, which seems to be something that gets prescribed to INFJ stereotype, so I picked my major along those lines. I'm more of an intuitive subtype of INFJ so I do better dealing with somewhat abstractish/technical topics, rather than relating to people and having just the right things to say. So far I haven't been disappointed in my choice. You have probably taken a variety of classes in school and college - so which ones have you performed in the best? which ones have been most interesting to you?

·
Registered
307 Posts
i chose nursing as a major. there were some rough times and thought of quitting but i fought through it and now im in nursing school. dont sweat your first year, just study and dont bs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in Game Programming, but I really want to be a Game Designer! If you like video games, I think a Game Designer is a great way to go... kinda fits our personality type and all. :p

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I wanted to do Kinesiology in high school. My parents said No. I went into biology for 3 years. Low and behold.. I'm in Kinesiology... Hahaha.. last and final year of it! (will take me 6 years total to finish)

I am absolutely in love with the human body and how it works so this major is perfect for me. I would've considered photography or music without a doubt.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I majored in Education, specialty math/science. Well basically I'm a teacher but after I went to graduate school I prefer to do educational research. I like it because I think Education is one way to cause a positive impact on society and at the same time research lets me deal with this on a larger scale rather than just a small scale like the classroom.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Thoughts? Majors?

I'm a freshman and really don't think I like being in college. I want to just skip ahead and be independent, but I have no idea what I want to do when I get "there." I'm so lost on majors (I know that's fine as a freshman, btw).

For you INFJs, did you go to college or not? What did you like about your choice? If you went, what was it like for you, and what did you major in?
My best advice with deciding a major is don't listen to other people and don't let fear take over your decision in thinking you can't do it...... just follow your gut and it'll be right. The trouble we have is that we're introverted and many of us has dealt with a difficult childhood being known as the "quiet kid' so we have doubt about what we can do. Also, our Fe tends to make us people pleasers so if people tell us we should do something then we want to do it just to keep everybody else happy.

Put all the other factors aside and ask yourself "If I could do anything, what would I want to do?" and if your gut follows it, do it. Sometimes you'll have to think about various different areas before you finally hit the right one.

Personally, I loved college.... I could be independent and the coursework was more of my level. I could gain endless knowledge their. The only big downside I noticed is that people at this age are still developing their views and how to handle it... after all, it is the step after HS. But the thing is that people will tend to be close-minded at times and not handle situations skillfully because, well, they're figuring it out as well and the truth is many people do not follow their instincts.
So my only other advice is to make sure you don't let the views of others get you down. Some people move beyond that step after college... and some just stay their the rest of their lives. I'd hope most people do because it makes the world a better place.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Currently Public Health right here! It's best to choose what feels closest to home and hopefully you aren't being pressured into a a career choice by parents or friends. Ya really gotta go with the gut and befriend your academic advisor, (if they suck try another one or talk to a professor you like). Never be shy about that.

·
Registered
INFP
1,317 Posts
Studying in accounting. I know it's like 0% INFJ related lol. I just want to get a professional title to do whatever I feel like once I get into the business world. We live in an accounting society so it opens a lot of doors. I could end up as a financial analyst, system implementor, cost analyst or I could do whatever else from human resources to marketing.

Above all I want to start a business at some point. Work is such a big part of people's live I think I could do something to improve the live of a few people by creating good jobs. There's not too many people out there who think about anything besides bottom line. Company can be great social tools if you use them the right way.

303 Posts
I'm a freshman, and i like everything except for the classes. As far as independence, try to be grateful, it's a lot more independence than you got in high school.
For me though, i feel like I'm hardly interested in any subject, except for perhaps psych. which i have not taken a class in.
I am majoring in Information systems, (I.T./the business side of computers) but i seem to find computers less and less interesting, and i have a gut feeling that only gets stronger with time that i won't like this major/career path..

I just don't know...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts