Personality Cafe banner

Are you Colorblind? Which Axis are you on?

• Yes - Se/Ni or Ni/Se

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes - Ne/Si or Si/Ne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Se/Ni or Ni/Se

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No - Ne/Si or Si/Ne

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering if there is a link between colorblindness and perception axes.

Are you diagnosed with Colorblindness or a condition which distorts your perception of color? If so, what axis are you on?

If you're not, I'm also interested in which axis you fall on.

Thanks to anyone who participates!

Edit to add: I'm colorblind and am on the Ni/Se axis.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I am on the Se/Ni axis and not colorblind.

The only colorblind person I know is one of my uncles and I've typed him as a xSTP, so he's Se/Ni as well.

Reactions: brightflashes

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brother is, too, and he's on the Ni/Se axis.

My dad was (colorblind) too, but I don't know what his type was.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
I actually have this habit of often remembering shades of colors incorrectly. For instance I'll buy a t-shirt because I really like the navy blue color of it at the store, only to realize when I put it on at home that it's actually standard blue and it melds right in with my jeans which looks like a horrible one piece mess. Odd because Si is known for photographic memory/details whatnot. But I think that's just it, it subjectively remembers the color IT remembers it at and it's hard to change it after the fact.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My brother is, and he's on the Se/Ni axis. This thread is interesting thus far.

Reactions: brightflashes

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, what was your reasoning behind this? Were you thinking there might be a link genetically, or was it that being colorblind would influence your personality? (or neither?)
My thinking is that someone with Colorblindness, to compensate, would become more visually aware of other aspects of their environment and, thus, be more likely to be Se rather than Si oriented. I have found that I have to compensate quite a bit to figure out a color. For example, I memorized the order of colors on traffic lights to pass my driving test. Things like that sort of force me to go out of my way to be aware of the environment a bit more than I'd imagine others would.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My thinking is that someone with Colorblindness, to compensate, would become more visually aware of other aspects of their environment and, thus, be more likely to be Se rather than Si oriented. I have found that I have to compensate quite a bit to figure out a color. For example, I memorized the order of colors on traffic lights to pass my driving test. Things like that sort of force me to go out of my way to be aware of the environment a bit more than I'd imagine others would.
What kind of colorblindness do you have? (if you dont mind me asking)

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you remember how you found out you had it or have you always known?
I found out I had it when I was in preschool (age 3-4) and I was coloring things in ways my teacher didn't like. Previous to this, my dad suspected I might have it because I had trouble telling teams apart when we'd watch sports together (he helped me by telling me to look at the symbols on the helmets/hats). This was age 2-3. I had my first eye test at age 3 or 4 and they said that I had deuteranomaly which wasn't so surprising since my dad had it, too. Later on, my younger brother also had it, but my younger sister didn't inherit it.

Throughout my life I've been told that I have deuteranomaly or "color deficiency" by subsequent eye doctors (I wear glasses, so I get a check up at least once a year). My current doctor has been recommending the new sunglasses that correct for colorblindness. However, they don't have any for indoors yet.

I don't even think about it that much day-to-day anymore, though. I think the most recent time I was frustrated with it is when I couldn't play Uno with my kids because the difference between red and green in that game isn't enough for me.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My current doctor has been recommending the new sunglasses that correct for colorblindness. However, they don't have any for indoors yet.
Huh, so I guess those actually work. Interesting.
So basically if you have red/green colorblindness, you see red and green as both the same color... so you would see it all as either red OR green, I assume-- although seems like you wouldn't be able to know which?

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huh, so I guess those actually work. Interesting.
So basically if you have red/green colorblindness, you see red and green as both the same color... so you would see it all as either red OR green, I assume-- although seems like you wouldn't be able to know which?
For me, Red, green, yellow, and orange all look similar, like various shades of brown, I'm told, for people who have normal color sight. Color deficiency is a natural aging process where the eyes aren't as alert to variations in color. Here is a site if you want to see what the same picture would look like for those who do not have full-spectrum color vision:

ColorVisionTesting | Colorblind

Reactions: charlie.elliot

·
Banned
601 Posts
Ni/Se axis, and not to my knowledge colorblind.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I have a very good sense of color. I’m very sensitive to nuances too.
I am not a “Ne/Si” type, given the two are opposed and one must be suppressed to prefer the other (unless you’ve done tons of inner work and transcended your ego). So I’m simply a Ne type ;)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I believe I have deuteranomaly. I have always had trouble with some red/green and blue/purple differentiation.

I'm not too familiar with perceiving axes. How is it determined?

I definitely have to rely on developing other methods of coping with the deficiency and have contemplated the possibility that the methods in which I perceived the world was warped or at least expanded to areas not normally explored from a very young age.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts