Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi infjs, i am curious if any of you ( maybe all people do what i am gonna say) associate colours to words: i mean, when i think to a word or a concept (and numbers as well), those words are coloured in my mind. I don't know what criterion i use to link words to colour, but that's what i do. Sometimes the colours are not so clear, but they still are between some shades of colours (example: i am not sure of the colour of a certain word, but i know there's no way it is yellow or some other warm colours). I hope i was clear :happy:

PS: i am sorry for the 1000 times i used the word colour/s

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it an unconscious association? If the colors are fixed, and it isn't something you can turn on or turn off, you could be describing synesthesia.

Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grapheme–color synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sidenote: I do have synesthesia, but it's scent/sound, and quite frankly annoying as heck sometimes. I can't relate to associating colors with words, aside from conscious associations (depression=gray, love=red, etc.)
Yes my associations are rather unconscious. Oh i didn't know that synesthesia can be about scent or sound, it seems pretty interesting.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Yes my associations are rather unconscious. Oh i didn't know that synesthesia can be about scent or sound, it seems pretty interesting.
The way I understand it, any sense can get miswired with any other sense, grapheme-color is just the most common.

Among other things, it's pretty hard to talk about without looking like a complete head case. I would guess there are some other weird combos that just don't get talked about. I didn't even know what it was until a university professor diagnosed it and got me properly tested.

·
Registered
349 Posts
hi infjs, i am curious if any of you ( maybe all people do what i am gonna say) associate colours to words: I mean, when i think to a word or a concept (and numbers as well), those words are coloured in my mind. I don't know what criterion i use to link words to colour, but that's what i do. Sometimes the colours are not so clear, but they still are between some shades of colours (example: I am not sure of the colour of a certain word, but i know there's no way it is yellow or some other warm colours). I hope i was clear :happy:

Ps: I am sorry for the 1000 times i used the word colour/s
Yes!

Finally, someone who understands!

·
MOTM October 2013
6,424 Posts
The parts of the brain for perceiving colors and word comprehension are right next to each other, so the theory is they kinda grew into each other. Deric's MindBlog: Synesthesia - evidence for increased cortical connectivity Well, there's also a theory that it's how the electrochemical transmissions may be behaving (or not behaving) at the borders of the two areas rather than anything anatomical...but whatever it is, the proximity to each other seems to be playing a role.

Not sure about scent and sound, though. Scent is an odd sense in that it connects right into the emotional and memory parts of the brain--actually bypasses any processing, which sound and sight and touch have to be rerouted through. (Is that dark shadowy thing shaped more like a duck or a watering can? Is that color really green or does it just appear green because of the surrounding colors? etc...) Maybe that's also why smells can be so hard to label and describe; the neurology for identifying them is not determined by association. It instead associates to emotions and memories, if anything.

The emotional and memory part of the brain is closer to the sound part of the brain, though, so...hmm..

/end scientific babble

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do have synesthesia, but it's scent/sound, and quite frankly annoying as heck sometimes. I can't relate to associating colors with words, aside from conscious associations (depression=gray, love=red, etc.)
Wow, that's very rare! How exactly does it work for you?

I have synesthesia too, but it seems rather dull compared to yours. Seeing numbers, weekdays and months in colors is not as helpful as some people think.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Certain scents have sounds for me. It isn't many of them, thankfully. Some of them I notice more than others, simply from a familiar context. For instance, pencil shavings sound like a bag of marbles clinking together. That I notice a lot, since I'm a teacher. It can be super distracting when someone sharpens a pencil in the middle of a lesson. Other scents just don't come up much, so it's less of an issue. However, these are the sounds that I tend to forget are 'mine only,' so I sometimes embarrass myself by commenting on things that aren't there for anyone else:frustrating:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I often understand language in terms of some internal 'object' or arrangement of objects which I don't really know how to describe.

I experience no actual visual impression of the words but when I try to give language to whatever these things are it comes out in terms that have a visual character.

I recall reading the word 'vitiate' in a book and it occurred to me that I understood what the word meant but I would not have been able to tell another person or even tell myself what it meant.

I could understand the context in which the word was being used and I could use the word appropriately to create new sentences of my own but when I went to find other words to explain what 'vitiate' meant I was at a loss.

The word felt to me like a block of 'gray' material that was somewhere between concrete and styrofoam and I could 'see' and 'feel' the meaning of the word as a particular motion being performed on the object and altering its structure in a particular way. Again, there was not actually anything 'visual' that I 'saw' in my mind's eye, but that's how the language comes out.

It scares me sometimes that I'll slip off into some space where I lose the ability to communicate with other human beings because I'm comprehending myself and everyone else in terms of these bizarre objects or energy structures.

Terence McKenna's descriptions of DMT experiences are the closest thing I've found to describing what the experience of language is like for me:

And what these things are, are devices? Toys? Works of art? Objects?

Whatever they are, they are amazing.

And the promise is, that ahead of us in time 6 months, 50,000 years, is a visible linguistic channel of communication.

Now we always thought, or at least I always thought that telepathy means:

You think, I hear what you’re thinking.

What it actually turns out to be is:

You speak, I SEE what you mean!

and I don’t mean that metaphorically, I mean I SEE what you mean.
When I'm reading what someone wrote or I'm listening to them speak what's going on inside me is more like this:

It's like that but they're not actually visible and they're made out of things like meaning or emotion. I have no idea how to convey insights of this form to other human beings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts