Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any and all comedians of type. Although I'm mainly interested in British comedians [and comedians of other surrounding European countries known there :laughing:] I invite the typing of all comedians!

Here is the best old topic on this matter that I'd like to reference that you may add discussion to: http://personalitycafe.com/guess-type/23811-comedians.html

I'd just like to refresh the subject.

But to summarize the conclusions from that thread and some more comedians to discuss: [alphabetical by last name]

Ronni Ancona - E___
Clive Anderson - IN__
Bill Bailey - absolutely no idea, but Ne
Danny Baker -
John Bishop -
Frankie Boyle - ENTP/INTJ
Russell Brand - ENFP
Jo Brand - ESTP
Charlie Brooker - INXJ [switches from romantic to cold]
Rob Brydon -
Dave Chappelle - INFP
Julian Clary - _SFP
George Carlin - ENT_
Alan Carr - ESFP
Jimmy Carr - E_TJ
Jim Carrey - EN_P
Jeremy Clarkson - EST_
Billy Connoly - I_TJ
Alan Davies - _S_P [I believe he just plays stupid]
Jack Dee - I_T_ [depressed]
Hugh Dennis - ISTJ
Harry Enfeild - _S_J
Stephen Fry - INFJ [Enneagram 9]
Graeme Garden -
Kathy Griffin - ENFP
Rich Hall -
Andy Hamilton -
Mitch Hedberg - ISFP
Bill Hicks - ENFP
Russell Howard - ISFP
Reginald D. Hunter - _ST_
Eddie Izzard - ESTJ/INTP
Phill Jupitus -
Hugh Laurie - INTJ [depressed]
Sean Lock -
Lee Mack - ESF_
Bill Maher - ENTP
Demetri Martin - IN_P
Michael Mcintire - ENFP
Ben Miller -
Tim Minchin - ENFP
David Mitchell - INTJ [if I say so myself]
Chris Moyles - E_TP
Al Murray -
Ross Noble -
Graham Norton - ENFP
Dara Ó Briain - _STP
Sue Perkins -
Vic Reeves -
Jonothan Ross - ESTP
John Sessions -
Sarah Silverman -
Frank Skinner -
Arthur Smith -
Linda Smith -
Mark Steel -
Emma Thompson -
Sandi Toksvig - I_T_
Johnny Vegas - _SF_
Robert Webb - _NTP
Steven Wright - INTP

Some of these I don't know and can't say for in the least and may be completely off, so you discuss. Add enneagrams for those you know.

Add, subtract, discuss, argue, refute. I'll attempt to update along the way. This list is obviously incomplete. Add whoever as well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bill Hicks was an ENFP. His act was an Fi volcano erupting on stage.

Also, Mitch Hedberg was an ISFP.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've added a large number of comedians to the list, a few with my guesses to parts of their types, and alphabetized them for organization. Any help would be fantastic.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
*facepalm*

One is unable to edit one's post after 24 hours of original posting. So! New webpage with constantly updating list of Comedians as people contribute to this topic!

Big List of the MBTI typing of comedians.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Carlin: ENTJ - I find it a bit shocking that people overlook his super-obvious dominant Te and strong Ni in his acts (even Se & inferior Fi for that matter). Then again, I'm not all that shocked, since there are a ton of major misconceptions and shallow stereotypes concerning Te here and on the internet, only a little less than Fe (e.g. it's always plotting, always pragmatic, can't be used creatively - all of which I can say to with immense sarcasm, "Yeah, right!" (it happens to be in my "creative" secondary position anyhow). It's clear that he's not faking it either, because it is pretty much completely impossible to fake Ni remotely realistically. As an NiTe user, I KNOW what Ni & Te sound like paired together, and that is definitely the vibe I get from him. Completely forget the J/P garbage if you want to type him accurately, because that seems to be what throws most people off about him (I'm sure that would throw most people off about me also - it's too trivial in terms of typing a person's cognitive state). Interestingly enough, my ISFJ mom hates his sense of humor and thinks he comes off as "too harsh and rude," which I would attribute to his nearly complete lack of conscious Fe - hell, his facial expressions barely radiate any F (Fe) - it's pretty much all in his voice (Fi), or joke content in general (when it's barely detectable). Since ISFJs are pretty much the subconscious polar opposites of ENTJs (yes, moreso than INTJs imo, since we have a slightly higher F focus and are introverts), I am intrigued, but not surprised. Check out Aleksei's posts on him in this thread for very convincing evidence supporting Carlin as an ENTJ: Famous ENTPs

Reactions: PianoWizzy

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Bill Maher is DEFINITELY an ENTP though, and I'm convinced that Sarah Silverman is an ENFP.

Reactions: DJeter

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know who these people are, but I'm updating anyway then. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I could buy ENTJ for Carlin. It would make more sense for why I like him so much - Ni rants. And yeah, he's such a polished performer that his Te-Se could be looking like Ti-Fe to me. Come to think of it, he is so structured, he doesn't allow for Fe to play a role.

And yeah, Sarah Silverman is an ENFP. Ne creativity but no Ti, Fi.

And Jon Stewart is an ENFJ.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't see Mitch Hedberg as an ISFP. He seems more like an INFJ to me.
He does indeed use Ni for the twists and non sequitirs, but it is subordinate to his Se. His comedy is observational humor (Se) which he flips around and puts a bizarre angle to (Ni).

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
He does indeed use Ni for the twists and non sequitirs, but it is subordinate to his Se. His comedy is observational humor (Se) which he flips around and puts a bizarre angle to (Ni).
He could be an INTJ then? INTJ was my original guess, but he seems like a feeler somewhat. I do see examples of Te in his comedy though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
He could be an INTJ then? INTJ was my original guess, but he seems like a feeler somewhat. I do see examples of Te in his comedy though.
ISFP's have Te. But the most obvious thing about his comedy is the Se-Ni combo, and that the Ni is under the Se in the hierarchy. ISTP would be a better guess than INFJ/INTJ.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would say...

Bill Bailey - ENFP
Frankie Boyle - ENTP
Russell Brand - ENFP
Julian Clary - ESFP
Alan Carr - ESFP
Jimmy Carr - INTJ
Jim Carrey - ENTJ
Jeremy Clarkson - ISTP
Billy Connoly - ENFP
Stephen Fry - ENTP
Bill Hicks - ENFP
Russell Howard - ISFP
Eddie Izzard - ENTP
Hugh Laurie - INTJ
Tim Minchin - ENFP
David Mitchell - INTJ
Ross Noble - ENFP
Jonathan Ross - ENFP

Also...

Dylan Moran INFP
Woody Allen INFP
Julian Barratt (Mighty Boosh) INFP
Noel Fielding (Mighty Boosh) ENFP

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would say...

Bill Bailey - ENFP
Frankie Boyle - ENTP
Russell Brand - ENFP
Julian Clary - ESFP
Alan Carr - ESFP
Jimmy Carr - INTJ
Jim Carrey - ENTJ
Jeremy Clarkson - ISTP
Billy Connoly - ENFP
Stephen Fry - ENTP
Bill Hicks - ENFP
Russell Howard - ISFP
Eddie Izzard - ENTP
Hugh Laurie - INTJ
Tim Minchin - ENFP
David Mitchell - INTJ
Ross Noble - ENFP
Jonathan Ross - ENFP

Also...

Dylan Moran INFP
Woody Allen INFP
Julian Barratt (Mighty Boosh) INFP
Noel Fielding (Mighty Boosh) ENFP
That contributes marvelously. Thanks! A few arguments, though... :crazy:

Jeremy Clarkson - I'm curious as to what makes you think he's introverted. I don't watch him as obsessively as I do, say, Stephen Fry, but from what I've seen from him he tends to bounce off of other people. Or is it just that he's just shamelessly weird [eating animals of all kinds just because he hasn't tried them before (QI)]?

Stephen Fry - I argue for INFJ for a number of reasons. 1) INFJ tends to be the most extroverted introvert, so he likes people, but he tends to be alone or in small groups. And although he's seen at parties, he's usually rather tired by the end. 2) INFJ is the most... knowledge-hungry of feelers, if I may say so. He craves knowledge and understanding like a thinker but he tends to connect it to an emotional desire. 3) He's stated himself that every drive in his life is desire, emotion, and impulse -- definitely not an NT thing. [[ Yes I obsess over this man ]]

Other than that, either it sounds good or have no idea who you're talking about! :laughing: Again, thanks muchly.

--

·
Registered
109 Posts
That contributes marvelously. Thanks! A few arguments, though... :crazy:

Jeremy Clarkson - I'm curious as to what makes you think he's introverted. I don't watch him as obsessively as I do, say, Stephen Fry, but from what I've seen from him he tends to bounce off of other people. Or is it just that he's just shamelessly weird [eating animals of all kinds just because he hasn't tried them before (QI)]?

Stephen Fry - I argue for INFJ for a number of reasons. 1) INFJ tends to be the most extroverted introvert, so he likes people, but he tends to be alone or in small groups. And although he's seen at parties, he's usually rather tired by the end. 2) INFJ is the most... knowledge-hungry of feelers, if I may say so. He craves knowledge and understanding like a thinker but he tends to connect it to an emotional desire. 3) He's stated himself that every drive in his life is desire, emotion, and impulse -- definitely not an NT thing. [[ Yes I obsess over this man ]]

Other than that, either it sounds good or have no idea who you're talking about! :laughing: Again, thanks muchly.

--

Jeremy Clarkson: I haven't seen Top Gear for ages, so I'm not completely sure about ISTP, but it seems more likely. ESTP is possible though.

Stephen Fry: That was actually a typo - I meant to type him as ENFP. INFP is very possible too, but I found it hard to choose between the two. I doubt he's an INFJ, he seems far to emotionally driven (more Fi than Fe). I have no idea why you say that INFJs are the most knowledge-hungry of feelers. That's like saying INTJs are more knowledge-hungry than INTPs :) . I guess it would depend on what you define knowledge as.

A couple more I've thought of...

Ricky Gervais ENTP
Karl Pilkington INTP
Sasha Baron Cohen ENTP

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Andrew Dice Clay
Tina Fey INTX
Goldie Hawn- She was on "Laugh In."
Lisa Lampanelli ? Funny, but kinda offensive
Gilda Radner- She was freakin hilarious and awesome.

Reactions: PianoWizzy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stephen Fry: That was actually a typo - I meant to type him as ENFP. INFP is very possible too, but I found it hard to choose between the two. I doubt he's an INFJ, he seems far to emotionally driven (more Fi than Fe). I have no idea why you say that INFJs are the most knowledge-hungry of feelers. That's like saying INTJs are more knowledge-hungry than INTPs :) . I guess it would depend on what you define knowledge as.
You got me on the Fi, definitely. So I suppose his is debatable. As the functions are concerned, it does look more like ENFP, then, with a very developed Te. The INFJ's drive for intellectualism is just something I've read online a few times so I'm easily mistaken. [All we know is that he's an NF!]

--

Tis is becoming a very long list. Excellent. *cackles*

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Eddie Izzard - ESTJ/INTP" Lol.
I support Silent Chameleon's typing of Eddie as an ENTP. He has that oddball, esoteric humor while at the same time being extraordinarily bombastic and jumping around the stage.

Karl Pilkington - out of curiosity, why INTP over, say, ISTP?

1 - 20 of 190 Posts