Personality Cafe banner

Do you sometimes favor aesthetics over comfort/practicality?

• NFJ - Yes

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • NFJ - No

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • NTJ - Yes

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • NTJ - No

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • SFP - Yes

• SFP - No

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • STP - Yes

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • STP - No

• SFJ - Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SFJ - No

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • STJ - Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STJ - No

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • NFP - Yes

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • NFP - No

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • NTP - Yes

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • NTP - No

Votes: 4 5.7%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all like to look nice, but our approaches and thoughts on appearance vary in general and perhaps by type.

What is your MBTI type, and how likely are you to wear something (clothing, accessories, etc.) even if it isn't the most practical or comfortable due to aesthetics?

This isn't to say one is better than the other as far as approaches go. I think it is possible to look very nice and be comfortable as well as with some amount of sacrifice for comfort or practicality, so this isn't to say that you're lazy or don't care about your looks if you don't generally make that "sacrifice" in the least.

There's only enough room in the poll for two options each, so just pick if you do this more or less even if by just a little.

Grazie!

Oh and for me: Though I do seek comfort and elegance and do not think they are incompatible, I'll vote "yes" for myself as I'm definitely willing to where something, say a beautiful shoe that might cut into my foot after too long, if it is aesthetically important to me. Se likes to take over like that sometimes:)

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
The things I like the look of tend to be comfortable, so this isn't an issue for me. I think I unconsciously partially evaluate clothing or accessories on the basis of comfort, so I'm not likely to ever like something that's uncomfortable. I don't wear accessories except for the ring in my ear.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
When it comes to clothing, I like a balance. I'd much rather wear something that looks awesome and is extremely uncomfortable rather than something that is horribly ugly yet very comfortable. However, let's say that Clothing #1 is less comfortable but nicer-looking than Clothing #2, which isn't crappy-looking (though not nice) but comfortable, then I'm going for the latter in this situation.

When it comes to furniture, fuck aesthetics in any way. I'm going for comfort.

I guess this counts as "sometimes" so I voted "yes" in the poll.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I favored aesthetics over comfort more so when I was younger and was more focused on my image or thought that I had to sacrifice in some areas just to look good. But the older I get, the more I value comfort and and don't like skimping or sacrificing in that department at all. So in a sense, my standards have become stricter because I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I want to look good and be comfortable at the same time. I can't stand fabric that makes my body itch. As soon as I get home, I want to rip the thing off of me and never wear it again. It makes me angry.

I don't wear shoes that hurt my feet any more. I can't really afford to do that anyway as I have really flat feet and high shoes offer no support. Over time I realized how stupid the concept of them is to wear for a lengthy amount of time. When I was younger, I would wear very high shoes because I was more insecure about my height (I'm 5'1") but as I got older, I embraced my height and I no longer feel insecure about it. And after introspection, I realized that in a way, it's more genuine to not boost my height up that much though I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing high heels. It's just how I personally have come to feel about it over time. I didn't think my reasoning for wearing them before was rooted in anything good.

I should also add that I'm HSP so I may be more sensitive than a non HSP to different things. I hate being physically uncomfortable. Also, I love antique couches but over time, my opinion changed and I realized - I feel like I'm sitting or laying on a rock whenever I sit on one. So, pass! I still like how they look though.

Reactions: Snowflake Minuet

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
I actually choose first: what's good on me.

Second: comfort

Always both.

I never only choose one. Like only good at me but not comfortable.. Forget about it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Almost entirely aesthetic for me. If I look awesome, it is worth the pain. I doubt this has much correlation to MBTI type though, in general. I'm an INTP.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
ESFP. And I like them to go hand in hand. My style is Lydia Deetz-ish mixed with '90s riot grrrl - my favorite outfit is this fitted short black sweater dress, which I wear over blue jeans and with combat boots + stud earrings and a necklace. I either wear jeans, shorts or short skirts with leggings, or flowy ankle-length skirts.

Believe it or not it is possible to have an appreciate for fashion without cutting off your blood circulation or something.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
No and dressing comfortably doesn't always mean looking like a slob.

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
INFP and no, as a rule of thumb.

I accept that I'm generally going to be less comfortable at the office or at a formal event than when I'm at home on the weekend, but gone are the days I'd wear sky-high heels all day and multiple layers of shapewear. I still like looking nice but increasingly I just won't sacrifice my comfort for it. Back when I was in a sorority and chasing crushes... yes... I strapped my thighs butt in and down, cut off circulation to my toes, wore tight elastic-wristed puffy sleeve shirts because they were cute, shoved myself into tight push-up bras, and so on. There was a certain pride and pleasure to it.

Still... when I was trying on wedding dresses earlier this year, one consultant brought out this awful looking corset and I laughed so hard... I tried to be gentle about it but told her I honestly just wouldn't end up choosing any dress which required that. Another consultant made some comment about how "obviously you'll be wearing Spanx"... pffft. The only underwear I wore on my wedding day was a lacy pair of panties and my garter. My dress had boning in the top - didn't even have to wear a bra. It was fantastic. Sure felt great to take it off at the end of the night, though, for more reason than one.

My biggest thrill lately has been that loose patterned pants are back in style... I essentially can feel like I'm wearing pajamas allllllll day.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I may sometimes value aesthetics over comfort and practicality, but I'd never consider sacrificing comfort and practicality for the sake of aesthetics.

Hoodies with zippers, for example, look fucking amazing, feel great to wear, and are extremely practical as clothing.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
INTJ and I'm always of a "form follows function" mindset.

My former roommate's wife says I dress like I'm living in a dystopian wasteland.
:laughing:

·
Registered
147 Posts
My aesthetic IS comfort. Cardigans. Sweater pants. Slipper boots. Hair down + straightened or in a loose bun. But when I can't have both, I still choose comfort (example: I pretty much only wear sports bras).

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I choose aesthetics. It’s more about emotional comfort, which means meeting some visual image I have of myself. It’s easy for me to block out physical discomfort and I don’t care much about practicality. The one thing I avoid is anything I might have to constantly adjust. That makes me self-conscious and then again, I’m not emotionally comfortable.

Of course ideally I may have both physical comfort and aesthetic appeal, but some options are too visually interesting for me to turn down just because they aren’t very comfy. I have a lot of everyday clothing that is comfortable and has aesthetic appeal though.
It’s not appealing to me to think about wearing PJs all the time. I think I’d feel very lazy and perhaps depressed.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
I gravitate towards trying to find things that are the modified comfy version to what is somewhat fashionable. I am not overtly fashionable. I would describe myself as sort of timeless and I just modify a few things to sort of stay there as styles change. I am not out of touch with what is current nor directly in touch and trendy or fashionable.

Shopping racks is hard for me because I am more of a timeless staple piece shopper. Hence the end cap or promotional trends being highlighted are not what I gravitate towards. I am still looking for things which have a cut that is current but I definitely like toned down (I.e. Not usually into prints in most cases, exception is maybe in a few accessories like a hat or vest). I think my style is more the chic version of any various genre. I pull and reign in whatever look I am wearing.

Colors I prefer are: Grey, White, Black, Navy, Reds, & Sometimes Pink. Usually I throw color in with accessories or shoes.

An example I guess would be the ankle wedge boots everyone is wearing, most people wear those at 3"-4", I HUNTED for the 2" version of the boot. It seriously looks just as aesthetically pleasing as the high version but it's just less bold, and I feel more casual. I wanted the shoes to be more under stated because I already feel overstated in my presence at times. So I often try and really soften other elements.

I know I often prefer to dress more athletic because I have found it's easier to correspond and actually build repor with other women, I am just better received than when I am dressed more blatantly bold. For the record I do dress bold it's just definitely reserved for specific events taking place in most cases.

Let me just say even when I describe my muting my appearance and toning it down into more comfort. I am comparing to old me. Even my toned down version is still bolder than many. I definitely have adapted a rather polished lipstick athletic look which is comfortable and approachable in my everyday life. I still have a stock of bold not in the slightest bit practical going out wear etc. I love shoes whether it's sneakers or stilettos so yes I definitely have a few ridiculous stilettos which in no way are practical, and definitely not comfy (but they are so purdy :smile: ).

90% of what I wear is comfy, the other %10 is aesthetic

·
Registered
ESTJ
3,002 Posts
Ideally, both comfort and aesthetics at the same time whenever I can.

Usually, I choose comfort because I can be really lazy. When the aesthetics look so good and I feel like putting in effort, fuck comfort. I'll just grind my teeth and deal with it.

Also, how ironic is it that most xNFPs said yes while most xSFPs said no lol?

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, and honestly I don't see why anyone would (oops)

I've gone out to see to the chickens in a massive army jacket, cargos and trainers before, it looks like hell but the shoes are really comfy and they don't hurt my feet when I go across the stones in the garden. Though the reason I wore them out there initially was because I can slip them on, my hi tops need to be untied and then tied up again to wear them and I couldn't be bothered with it. I will say I wore the jacket cause I like how it looks but there was a practical sense (fleece lined pockets, it gets hella windy here so I needed an outer layer)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts