Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else ever got completely sick of the having the ability to feel so strongly and care to much about just about everything or are you completely comfortable with them? I mean I wish I didn't care so much about stuff that shouldn't matter or effect me so much. Most of the time I just wish these strong emotions would just go away but I can't ever make them without the use of drugs, alcohol or just going to sleep to escape from reality and then hoping when I sober up or wake up I'll feel better. I do this a lot. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. There are somedays I would give anything to just stop feeling.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
i have this primal urge to act out on all of my emotions. one of my deepest fantasies is that i would release my mind on the world and people will love me for it. of course IRL, i would be crucified for my thoughts, but it doesn't stop me from secretly wishing for my animalistic dream. i want to just say FUCK IT and live life according to my beliefs, but i know people would try to kill me. it's not even the dying part that scares me, but the utter loneliness that would surely ensue from my fait accompli ostracization. but then again, i am used to being by myself, so what's the worst that could happen?

wow, i just had a wicked daydream from writing that.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
oh and i have no solution to your problem! i have the same issue, but i've learned to live with it. only thing is, don't try to repress your feelings, it could lead to something far worse. have you tried meditation? it helps to put your mind and soul in order to some extent.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I never feel like that... sometimes I might wish that I was another type or something, but I never just got plain sick of feeling. To me it feels good to have a strength a lot of people don't have or even understand because I can bring a fresh perspective to anything. You can look it at as a negative, always. Everything has a negative it's just not the best idea to focus on it. Just like you have the ability to feel deeply upset about feeling so much, you have the ability to feel filled with content as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Refugee says it best. Do not repress them. Find some way healthy of relief. Writing, painting, and basic meditation help me. I get overwhelmed with strong emotions, but you have to learn to live with it. Feel them all that you can, let it flow through you, and let it go.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I really don't like strong emotions being shown by people in a group, I guess I just find it obnoxious. Maybe it's because I prefer to keep my emotions inside. But I'm really tired today, so I don't know what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I deal with this problem too... I feel way too strongly about everything, except for when I start shutting things down. Of course, when I boot them back up, I feel twice as strongly... I don't want to medicate because I don't think I should have to be medicated for the way I feel since it isn't a danger to me or others most of the time.... I partly wish that I was grounded enough that I could focus past them sometimes because extremes make it hard to do anything, but I also wish it was socially acceptable to just feel these things like they are.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've never thought of living without my emotions or wishing they could be turned off just because they're so natural to me. But I do wish embarrassing memories from years ago still didn't make me cringe when something reminds me of them, and I wish all the other negative aspects weren't there. But I remind myself all the time that the feelings will pass—and they always do even if only temporarily—so I generally entertain them, empty my head into my journal, draw, whatever.

Taking everything as a whole, I'd miss the ability to feel so strongly because the highs can be so high and I know a lot of people miss life's simple pleasures that I see and feel so clearly. Plus it really gives you perspective that others who aren't so in touch with their emotions lack; that can make you a good friend to someone who needs it!

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
I can handle my emotions very well. Sometimes I slip a little bit but for the most part, I have a good handle on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Caring is creepy . . .and I guess I'm a creep , but I know that I'm special, and love this infp rollercoaster more than anything . . .

·
Registered
46 Posts
With the right combination of medications they can prevent the strong emotions from causing you to enter into a state of depression. I use to live in that state, could not shut the mind off once a sad thought or feeling entered. Now they enter and I still cry and get emotional about things, but I seem to bounce back pretty quick and don't slip into that deep depression. I can remember thinking medications would shut down all my emotions and for one medication (Risperdal) it did, I was flat lined for about three months. Was afraid this would happen with medications and it did, but thankfully I found a combination that works. See I also suffer with bipolar and really needed to get out of the depression I lived with all my life. If you can stay off the medication I would recommend that, it is really a good feeling to cry and release that emotion. I am no longer embarrassed to do this in front of people, I accept who I am now.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yes I hate how strong my emotional reaction can be for some things. I can try to suppress them and it works for awhile, but the feelings just come out anyway at the worse moments. Sometimes though I can really have it under check or even not feel anything at all.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't really have strong emotions... at least very rarely. I'm pretty uncomfortable with other people expressing strong emotions too.

It's part of what keeps me from thinking I'm an INFP... except for laughter and a sense of humor... I've never really felt strong emotions. Just a void really... sort of detached.

If I had more emotions... it's something I would cry over...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts