Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about two or three years now I’ve believed that I was an INTP (based on Internet tests results, but more so on reading into the theory myself). It turns out that I am actually an INFJ, but with a disproportionate development ratio (relative to the most natural path) of Fe and Ti – my Fe is underdeveloped while (I have been told that) my Ti is well developed.

Expectedly, the tests, only attempting to guess one’s top two functions, typed me as an INTP every time*. It got ‘N’ (doubly) right, and ‘I’ too. ‘T’ because my (presumably) second most developed function is Ti (and not Fe). I would imagine that it detected ‘P’ as opposed to ‘J’ because my dominate function (as an INFJ) is a perceiving function (albeit a directive one), and the P/J axis is designed to detect what is the highest ranking extraverted function – this is quite hard to do from a (“written”) test when one’s highest ranking extraverted function is under developed.

(*= Except on my very first test where I got 50/50 INTP/INTJ.)

But I’ve always known these tests were flawed, so (and out of curiosity) I researched into the theory. Ne and Ni are the most misunderstood cognitive functions so it was easy enough to get them mixed up – my conceptual understanding of Ne was “about possibilities” while Ni was “that function which wasn’t understandable”. Ti was the only thing I was sure of, and I believed that I was intuitive and introverted, so easily enough INTP became my identity.

I’m currently lacking a cultural identification or connection of/towards INFJ (I was even once declined invitation to an INFJ meet-up).

You must understand that I did not choose to “become” an INFJ (no one chooses their type, according to my understanding); it was pointed out to me.

I was happy enough with what I believed I was; I had no desire to be or become an INFJ. I had an affinity towards INFJs alright and had an admiration of Ni, but I was comfortable with what I believed I was.

Some of you reading this right now are non-INFJs who believe that they are INFJs (particularly INFPs, and maybe ENFPs, in denial). Depending on how seriously you take this stuff, I hope you all figure out your true type before you damage yourself.

If any person wishes to challenge my claim of being an INFJ, please show (or otherwise articulate) your proof of being your type, first.

Best wishes.

~ One who is more intuitive than once thought.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think you'll find that some INFJs on here could pass for INTPs as far as Ti usage is concerned, and some other INFJs have a more developed Fe (Btmangan comes to mind). From what I've observed we're the personality type with the biggest differences in sub-type. I hope you'll be able to understand yourself better.

P.S. I don't think anyone here is going to challenge your INFJ claim. That's something you'd expect on an INTP forum simply because the main thing that matters to an INTP is whether a claim is true. They habitually pick everything apart. But I think most INFJs would only challenge the truth of a statement when it contradicts their own worldview.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I think I myself could probably be taken for an INTJ a lot of the time. But really, I haven't had anyone try to type me, so I might be wrong... (Hmm... maybe I should start a Type Me-thread some time just to see where it goes....)

And I guess it doesn't really help typing that many people just look at the MBTI dichotomies without trying to understand or even having heard about cognitive functions.

Anyhow, I hope you feel very welcome here! We're looking forward to getting to know you... :happy:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Welcome to the club. You'll be getting your members jacket and your coupons for Pizza Hut in the mail soon. I hope you enjoy your time with us!

Let's see... I've managed to dig out two of my old written tests. Here are the scores:

Test 1:
E/I: 10/7
S/N: 3/23
T/F: 12/12
J/P: 11/11
Result: ENFP

Test 2:
E/I: 8/13
S/N: 2/24
T/F: 15/15
J/P: 12/12
Result: INFJ

The second test was judged by my psychology teacher in high school. He was a little baffled at my ambiguous results, so he labelled me an INFJ. This is the predominant answer I get from online tests, so I figure he might have been abit closer than most.

While I do like the INFJ the most, I removed it from my profile because of my mutant-ism. If there is anything clear to me at all, it is that my type is xNxx.

That's not to say the other functions aren't there, but to call myself an EINFTJP might be going abit too far. :p

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
For about two or three years now I’ve believed that I was an INTP (based on Internet tests results, but more so on reading into the theory myself). It turns out that I am actually an INFJ, but with a disproportionate development ratio (relative to the most natural path) of Fe and Ti – my Fe is underdeveloped while (I have been told that) my Ti is well developed.

Expectedly, the tests, only attempting to guess one’s top two functions, typed me as an INTP every time*. It got ‘N’ (doubly) right, and ‘I’ too. ‘T’ because my (presumably) second most developed function is Ti (and not Fe). I would imagine that it detected ‘P’ as opposed to ‘J’ because my dominate function (as an INFJ) is a perceiving function (albeit a directive one), and the P/J axis is designed to detect what is the highest ranking extraverted function – this is quite hard to do from a (“written”) test when one’s highest ranking extraverted function is under developed.

(*= Except on my very first test where I got 50/50 INTP/INTJ.)

But I’ve always known these tests were flawed, so (and out of curiosity) I researched into the theory. Ne and Ni are the most misunderstood cognitive functions so it was easy enough to get them mixed up – my conceptual understanding of Ne was “about possibilities” while Ni was “that function which wasn’t understandable”. Ti was the only thing I was sure of, and I believed that I was intuitive and introverted, so easily enough INTP became my identity.

I’m currently lacking a cultural identification or connection of/towards INFJ (I was even once declined invitation to an INFJ meet-up).

You must understand that I did not choose to “become” an INFJ (no one chooses their type, according to my understanding); it was pointed out to me.

I was happy enough with what I believed I was; I had no desire to be or become an INFJ. I had an affinity towards INFJs alright and had an admiration of Ni, but I was comfortable with what I believed I was.

Some of you reading this right now are non-INFJs who believe that they are INFJs (particularly INFPs, and maybe ENFPs, in denial). Depending on how seriously you take this stuff, I hope you all figure out your true type before you damage yourself.

If any person wishes to challenge my claim of being an INFJ, please show (or otherwise articulate) your proof of being your type, first.

Best wishes.

~ One who is more intuitive than once thought.
Welcome back,

I have to admit I never expected you as an INFJ. I am glad that you have had some deep though about this unlike some as SNL pointed out the INFP and INTP and maybe INTJ amongst the crowd.
Now lets see if we can help you with your Fe that is if you desire to do so or want any help in doing so.
Sometimes we do like to pick things apart if that allows for some help or growth for the individual but rarely for just cause or for trying to prove right.

·
Banned
89 Posts
This thread is so off-putting
Just saying...

You expect people who challenge your claim to justify their own type?
Why should they need to do that?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
This thread is so off-putting
Just saying...

Because he is still holding onto his INTP side...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Because he doesn't want people saying "You don't sound anything like me, so you must not be an INFJ, go away." If anyone thinks he's not an INFJ he wants logical reasons why, based on a proper knowledge of cognitive functions.

This thread is not off-putting - he's just defensive based on past experience.

GarmGarf - I don't think anyone here is out to challenge your claim - we welcome you to come and hang out here and see for yourself if you think you fit in. Took me long enough to figure out I wasn't an INFP or ENFP - I was misidentifying both Ne/Ni and Fi/Ti.

·
Banned
89 Posts
This thread is not off-putting - he's just defensive based on past experience.
I find it off-putting. That's my opinion and I should be just as entitled to my opinion as anyone else here.

Past experiences on another forum.
It doesn't take much to cruise around this forum and get the general vibe of how the people are here. They are pretty accepting. I've often seen other types posting here and they are welcome just as much as the INFJs.

I've only seen one instance of people accusing someone of not being his/her type, and when they did several people (myself included) rallied in defense of that person.

·
Registered
298 Posts
proof: i think INFJ, therefore i am.

challenge: you're definitely not INFJ, and you're definitely not welcome here. stay in your closet.

kidding, obviously. that was quite an introduction. the truth is, nobody really cares what your type is. nobody is going to chastise you for testing wrong. as others have said, this is a pretty easy-going and understanding group of (ahhh-mazin) people posting around on this forum. we're here to help, give advice, receive it, laugh and make others laugh.

nobody here has any desire to challenge your claim, however, you're pretty much asking for it. relax. seriously. it's just a label.

oh, and welcome. :happy:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I find it off-putting. That's my opinion and I should be just as entitled to my opinion as anyone else here.
Oh god, not again.

You stated your opinion. I stated mine. And because I stated mine you bristled with defensiveness saying that you are entitiled to your opinion. Where exactly did I say that you weren't - just because I disagreed with you? Why can't I be entitled to my opinion without someone making it out to be a personal attack on their freedom of speech?

Sorry for the little rant scrybaby but jeez, people are so sensitive this week and I have other things to worry about. Now I'm the one bristling with defensiveness :eek:S

·
Registered
298 Posts
oh and one more thing....

no desire to be an INFJ? ANYBODY WHO'S ANYBODY WANTS TO BE INFJ!!!!

lawlzzzzzz...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I thought I was a INTP for a couple months, and I did enjoy that part of the forum a lot. The more I was there though I realized I was more in-tuned with my feelings than everyone else.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I wondered if I was INTP for all of 5 minutes. Then I saw a baby seagull on a ledge by the ferry terminal I was at and I started trying to communicate telepathically with it, trying to figure out what it was feeling and how it viewed life, and then I worried that if it didn't fly away soon then it was going to get squished by the oncoming seabus and it broke my heart to think about it.

I don't even like seagulls.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you'll find that some INFJs on here could pass for INTPs as far as Ti usage is concerned, and some other INFJs have a more developed Fe (Btmangan comes to mind). From what I've observed we're the personality type with the biggest differences in sub-type.
Some reckon that INFJs aren't so rare and rather it's just that many are mistyped.

For the same reason why I should justify my claimed type if someone challenges it.

GarmGarf - I don't think anyone here is out to challenge your claim - we welcome you to come and hang out here and see for yourself if you think you fit in. Took me long enough to figure out I wasn't an INFP or ENFP - I was misidentifying both Ne/Ni and Fi/Ti.
Oh, I have hung around here enough already. The majority of my post count is on the INFJ board.

Thank you though.

It doesn't take much to cruise around this forum and get the general vibe of how the people are here. They are pretty accepting. I've often seen other types posting here and they are welcome just as much as the INFJs.
And yet for some reason I still posted the text which I did.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I wondered if I was INTP for all of 5 minutes. Then I saw a baby seagull on a ledge by the ferry terminal I was at and I started trying to communicate telepathically with it, trying to figure out what it was feeling and how it viewed life, and then I worried that if it didn't fly away soon then it was going to get squished by the oncoming seabus and it broke my heart to think about it.

I don't even like seagulls.

hahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Some reckon that INFJs aren't so rare and rather it's just that many are mistyped
Yeah, I think Adymus on intpforum.com talks about that a lot (I've seen you post there I believe). I'm inclined to agree with him on that. I actually think INTJs are probably the rarest type. That's just based on my own experience though.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Oh god, not again.

You stated your opinion. I stated mine. And because I stated mine you bristled with defensiveness saying that you are entitiled to your opinion. Where exactly did I say that you weren't - just because I disagreed with you? Why can't I be entitled to my opinion without someone making it out to be a personal attack on their freedom of speech?

Sorry for the little rant scrybaby but jeez, people are so sensitive this week and I have other things to worry about. Now I'm the one bristling with defensiveness :eek:S
Don't you think you are over reacting just a bit?
Did I really deserve such a harsh response?
If you think I'm being overly sensitive then why are you ripping me a new one?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts