Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What about a common misconceptions thread? preferably about Myer Briggs or anything else related to the forum, but anything goes.

I'll try and start this up.

-Introverted thinking is cruel and utilitarian
It's not, introverted thinking ofcourse is used to help oneself. But it also provides an inner desire for fairness and justice. You get a lot of machiavellian types who think they are intelligent for being assholes all the time, if only they knew.

-You can change type, or be different types at different times of the day.
You can't, you can develop more of a function but you don't change type.

It was either this or INTJ forum

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
There's a common misconception that INTP's are emotionless, cold, and tactless robots.

say or input a command>

·
Registered
43 Posts
Extraverted Feeling judgement, Fe, is the shadow function of the INTP, being by far the least developed of his faculties. Indeed, mature use of Fe typically doesn't begin to take shape until well into middle age. Feelings and emotions are regarded with suspicion and perhaps fear by the INTP and he may be keen to avoid considering or showing them. At the same time, he may experience a certain fascination for the emotional world, but he is desperate to de-personalize any thoughts on that area. He is compelled to subject his emotions to continual analysis, the Ti core literally suppressing the Fe shadow, attacking Fe with accusations of irrationality. He resists letting his feelings go, fearing that to do so would be to relinquish control to an unknown force. He believes emotions to be of a lesser substance than logic and his natural goal would be to conquer his emotions with pure rationality.

Much of the above demonstrates the immature and underdeveloped approach with which the INTP meets his emotional side. In reality, the extraverted nature of the INTP's feeling judgement means that his emotions, when visible, are pretty direct and easy to assess. Since the INTP normally wishes to hide his emotions; when they do come out, they do so in outbursts with an almost childlike innocence. There is a sense of all-or-nothing and, when visible, there is nothing enigmatic about the feelings of an INTP: indeed, shadow functions always seem pretty raw and basic.

(...)

For the INTP, emotions are seen as something mysterious and as uncontrollable as they are unalterable. Hence, the root of the fear of emotions is the fear that they cannot be controlled. Hence, when an INTP does finally respond emotionally to something, his emotions are indeed left uncontrolled, raw and open. However, when witnessing the emotional response of another person, the INTP intensely resists any similar emotion of his own. An example of this is when watching a 'weepy' cinema film in which some heart-wrenching scene is being shown. The INTP despises the attempt by the filmmaker to influence his emotions and is more likely to sneer than cry. This response has nothing to do with arrogance, however. Rather it is the INTP defensively avoiding exposing what he knows to be his weak point. Where an INTP may experience his own emotional response during a film is when he has had the chance to consider consequences of a element of the film. Hence, emotional response to media input usually occurs with a certain independence of will, which could appear enigmatic to others.

Feelings are simply our inferior, underdeveloped function.
Source below, *can't link yet*

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That reminds me of a small party I attended last night (thankfully, it was at a good friend's place).

Friend - "If you tell a girl 'I don't care about you,' they will be all over your dick."

Me - Walks up to girl (mutual friend, this was mostly a joke) and says "I don't care about you. OK, when are you going to be all over my dick?"

Moment of awkward silence, random guys we don't know making sounds as if I just caused the world to implode, and my friend (the girl) looking pretty embarrassed all of a sudden.

What's with people? Can't they take a fucking joke? Don't tell me the goddamn joke in passing and then expect me to not use it, especially as I thought it would be really funny.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
That reminds me of a small party I attended last night (thankfully, it was at a good friend's place).

Friend - "If you tell a girl 'I don't care about you,' they will be all over your dick."

Me - Walks up to girl (mutual friend, this was mostly a joke) and says "I don't care about you. OK, when are you going to be all over my dick?"

Moment of awkward silence, random guys we don't know making sounds as if I just caused the world to implode, and my friend (the girl) looking pretty embarrassed all of a sudden.

What's with people? Can't they take a fucking joke? Don't tell me the goddamn joke in passing and then expect me to not use it, especially as I thought it would be really funny.
Think you broke a few man codes, and man - woman codes there. Thus, unfunny.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Broke a few "codes?" You mean just another arbitrary social etiquette people place upon each other and themselves. If so, I see no value in following any of these "codes."

·
Banned
642 Posts

So long as you did it in jest, I see no problem. Though I'd probably be too shy to do that myself, ha.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
It's not hard to not be an asshole. Social norms, or respecting another human being?

I think it is typist for me to say so, but the first thought which popped up in mind was "and this from an ENTP of all people..."

Reactions: nadjasix

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
There's a common misconception that INTP's are emotionless, cold, and tactless robots.

say or input a command>
I'm actually more expressive than my INFP friend....which makes sense considering one of his main functions is Fi if I recall. INTPs are the ones with Fe (even if it is last), so they naturally would be more expressive (at least I do when I get really excited about something I am interested in..he is straightfaced most of the time).

·
Registered
362 Posts
As quoted by my ESFP father:

- They look like they're emotional
- They look like they hate everyone
- They don't do anything
- They're lazy
- They don't like sports
- They only like school, they're nerds

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

I'm not sure if it would be my introversion or my Fe telling me that would be a terrible idea....

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
But it was funny. To me.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I think it is typist for me to say so, but the first thought which popped up in mind was "and this from an ENTP of all people..."
That 'joke' borders on sexual harassment (understand that you didn't mean it this way).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think the main misconception is that the letters actually have any relevance. "I have Ni and Te, but I'm too messy to be an INTJ!" That sort of thing. People don't examine the functions enough when determining their type.
Yes, this^
And there are many misconceptions concerning the letters, like Ts are smarter than Fs, that's all BS.

Reactions: Phantomhive

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
But it was funny. To me.
I think that's called making jokes at someone else's expense. It's called an expense because it costs another person energy. Effectively you planted the thought of her doing sexual things to you in her brain. Even if someone was attracted to you, that's just an ikky thing to do to people in public.

If she's not attracted to you, even in jest, the thought of doing things to you would make her want to hurl. The idea of shared humor is to get inside other people's heads, not to get inside your own and spew it on people.

As you get older your filters will probably become more developed.

Reactions: minavanhelsing
1 - 20 of 26 Posts